Whole Food Hangry Hanger

christen_g

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Other
Thread for all those on a whole food diet who's biggest hurdle is hunger or eating enough.

Ask questions, talk about the food you eat, how you manage your energy, what sports you do, etc.

Trying to figure out if sweeteners (honey, date syrup, etc) have a place in my life.
A splash on my food doesnt seem to do me any harm and its a great way to add extra calories and hit my sweet tooth, and the instant energy burst is fantastic.

Trying to figure out if sweeteners (honey, date syrup, etc) have a place in my life.
A splash on my food doesnt seem to do me any harm and its a great way to add extra calories and hit my sweet tooth, and the instant energy burst is fantastic.

Honey is not vegan.👍

Reactions: Brian W
I'm a big advocate of Dr Gregers daily dozen way of eating (and books, nutritionfacts.org...)
I do struggle with food, but have adhered to the DD and it did indeed eliminate many ills-airborne allergies, asthma, arthritis-I still stray

One thing that does help me is making snacks bites. Just blend dates, walnuts, cocoa, seeds, and then mix in oats. Chill then roll in balls and keep in fridge

I made date paste by just letting pitted dates soak, then blend. I would keep the jar in the freezer, it was still spoonable

I never felt hungry following this way, once I got in the groove it was even hard to eat enough with all the volume and fiber

For breakfast, I find that a filling meal is oatmeal topped with flaxseed meal, cinnamon, and roasted pumpkin seeds. Plus chopped nuts if I have some. Nuts and seeds are so filling. After I heat it, I stir in maybe 1/4 tsp. of Marmite and a splash of oat milk creamer until I get to the right consistency.

I don't usually have trouble with filling vegan lunches/dinners, but I do also snack in the afternoon and after dinner.

Reactions: Emma JC
Oh man i love nuts. Especially nut butter. Im trying to lower my nut intake to lean up. But im just forever hungry if i cut them down hard. Maybe thats just what it feels like to lose weight tho..

• Friendly
Reactions: AndyAlexander
Oh man i love nuts. Especially nut butter. Im trying to lower my nut intake to lean up. But im just forever hungry if i cut them down hard. Maybe thats just what it feels like to lose weight tho..
That is indeed the initial feeling of loosing weight. I’ll allow myself to suggest three tips: 1. Beans, lentils, chickpeas and such in as big of quantities as you can stuff yourself with. If you have the comfort of always being around powder rooms that is 😆 With legumes you might **** yourself, but you’d be fed and they’re practically not fattening in any quantities. 2. Kitchen scales to get a good sense of what is how much. 3 Fasting. Soldier on with at least 3-4 days, preferably a week or so and then refeed with food that constitute better habits. And bonus: if you get the “walkies” or the “runnies” as I do on fasts, just walk/run and don’t find it too strange or unusual. I wish you all the best in improving your habits! 😊 P.S. Some of those nuts are so irresistible 🤤 I had to stop storing any nuts at home back in the day when I smoked a spliff or two here and there 😆

I'm not a very good source of info about losing weight. At my worst I was 20 pounds overweight. and I tried all kinds of stuff to lose weight. I got sick, lost 20 pounds and now I find staying at a healthy weight to be automatic.
IMHO, it's partly the gut biome. If yours is un-healthy then the gut's flora try to trick you into eating more. Sugar and fat combined are like heroin to them. The addictive qualities of salt, sugar and fat just add to the difficulty. Balancing your metabolism is very difficult when you are overweight - but once you have a healthy lifestyle - homeostasis takes over and it's very easy. Nowadays I suffer from no cravings, and I sometimes have to remind myself to eat. I still have some bad habits but they are more psychological than physiological.
We often speak of slow, gradual and incremental changes for transitions. But if you're overweight and addicted to salt, sugar and fat then I think the best thing is something closer to a crash course. Maybe 20 to 30 days. that month can be very tough but maybe the idea that the next month will be lots easier should help.

Oh and even now I have to moderate the nuts. Dr. Graeger says no mare than a handful a day.

Reactions: AndyAlexander
I'm not a very good source of info about losing weight. At my worst I was 20 pounds overweight. and I tried all kinds of stuff to lose weight. I got sick, lost 20 pounds and now I find staying at a healthy weight to be automatic.
IMHO, it's partly the gut biome. If yours is un-healthy then the gut's flora try to trick you into eating more. Sugar and fat combined are like heroin to them. The addictive qualities of salt, sugar and fat just add to the difficulty. Balancing your metabolism is very difficult when you are overweight - but once you have a healthy lifestyle - homeostasis takes over and it's very easy. Nowadays I suffer from no cravings, and I sometimes have to remind myself to eat. I still have some bad habits but they are more psychological than physiological.
We often speak of slow, gradual and incremental changes for transitions. But if you're overweight and addicted to salt, sugar and fat then I think the best thing is something closer to a crash course. Maybe 20 to 30 days. that month can be very tough but maybe the idea that the next month will be lots easier should help.

Oh and even now I have to moderate the nuts. Dr. Graeger says no mare than a handful a day.
I want to congratulate you with your success! 20lb may not be the amount most people deal with, but that’s just because they’re been all to tolerant to whatever skewed perceptions of normality they’re presented with by popular media ignoring science. You have not ignored science and you have not gotten skewed perceptions, which is just one more thing I want to congratulate you for! Stay strong at a normal weight, brother! You’re definitely an achiever!

• Love
Reactions: Lou
at the risk of sounding falsely humble....
I don't deserve any congrats. I never was able to lose weight just by trying. Getting so sick I couldn't eat for weeks is what did it.
And keeping the weight off has not been a personal accomplishment. I swear it's like second nature. I don't even have to try.
I credit Homeostasis. Equilibrium. Now that things are "balanced " my body keeps things balanced.
Maybe some of those diet gurus are right when they talk about the role of metabolism.

Just one more thing to add. By the charts I'm a little underweight. At first I was concerned but one of my favorite vegan doctor/authors (can't remember which one) says that the charts are all skewed to being overweight, cause they are based on averages, and the average guy is overweight.