Which oils are the best/healthiest?

Yes, OK. Sorry for my bad expression. I meant, should I pay attention to a certain quality before I buy such an oil in the store? For example, if I see a walnut oil in a store, should I pay attention to certain contents or processing or could I just use any walnut oil at random?

Yes, OK. Sorry for my bad expression. I meant, should I pay attention to a certain quality before I buy such an oil in the store? For example, if I see a walnut oil in a store, should I pay attention to certain contents or processing or could I just use any walnut oil at random?

It's up to you. You're the one who's purchasing and consuming. They all have different price tags depending on whether they're bio or also the country of origin.

As far as I know the only concern is olive oil. And that is mostly about the expensive ones not being as advertised. (there is also been a lot of News about contaiminated OO too.
There seems to be lots of misinformation about it. Scams, scandals, etc. Mostly centered around EVOO. Here in California the scams seem to be more prevalent than honest/true EVOO.

It's up to you. You're the one who's purchasing and consuming. They all have different price tags depending on whether they're bio or also the country of origin.
Oops, holy...at first glance this sounds incredibly strange. But on the other hand that is of course true.

As far as I know the only concern is olive oil. And that is mostly about the expensive ones not being as advertised. (there is also been a lot of News about contaiminated OO too.
Yes, and one can't tell from the list of ingredients or anything else anyway (so one would notice fraud at the latest when eating, if at all). So if there was no scam, I could take any OO or EVOO. Or any walnut oil, avocado oil and those mentioned. So if a bottle like that says EVOO / OO or walnut oil I just could buy it. Without paying attention to the ingredient list or other information on the bottle.

So if there was no scam,
Back when EVOO was making headlines one chef said the most of us probably have never had true EVOO.
I have a bottle of EVOO on my shelf. and I didn't spend a lot of money on it. But I also hardly use it.
I mostly use Canola for cooking and make my own oil - free salad dressing.
One of my favorite recipes calls for avocado oil so I use that more often than OO.
Also I learned from @Emma JC, to save the liquid from a can of olives and use that in my cooking.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Oh, yes, that sounds like a good idea, I do not buy cans (because of the internal coating), but if I had a jar of olives I would do that as well.

Back when EVOO was making headlines one chef said the most of us probably have never had true EVOO.
Yes, I can actually imagine that. There will definitely be all sorts of adulterated foods.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I have a bottle of EVOO on my shelf. and I didn't spend a lot of money on it. But I also hardly use it.
I mostly use Canola for cooking and make my own oil - free salad dressing.
One of my favorite recipes calls for avocado oil so I use that more often than OO.
Also I learned from @Emma JC, to save the liquid from a can of olives and use that in my cooking.
When you say liquid from jarred olives I think of brine, which I do use for flavor, but it's not an oil sub :shrug:
Oh I wish we had the Italian shop that sold olives packed in oil in barrels. I loved to marinate tofu in the seasoned oil and brine!

Reactions: PTree15
When you say liquid from jarred olives I think of brine, which I do use for flavor, but it's not an oil sub :shrug:
Ah, thought the liquid of canned and jarred olives would / could be the same. Oh no, now I see, I thought you mentioned the olive liquid in the context of (avaocado) oil (as a replacement). OK, sorry, no replacement then. But something to season anyway.

But a good idea to keep and use liquids of other foods, e.g. oil in barrels from the Italian shop, to use them as marinade or such.

Ah, thought the liquid of canned and jarred olives would / could be the same. Oh no, now I see, I thought you mentioned the olive liquid in the context of (avaocado) oil (as a replacement). OK, sorry, no replacement then. But something to season anyway.

But a good idea to keep and use liquids of other foods, e.g. oil in barrels from the Italian shop, to use them as marinade or such.
Avocado itself, blended, is a substitute.

I just wasn't sure about how Lou was suggesting the use of the jarred olive liquid, mine are always in a very salty brine

Avocado itself, blended, is a substitute.

I just wasn't sure about how Lou was suggesting the use of the jarred olive liquid, mine are always in a very salty brine
sometimes when I make stir fry instead of using one tbsp of. canola oil I use 2 - 3 tbsp of the liquid left over from a can of olives. I had assumed till just now that it had a lot of oil in it - from the olives. I think you can just use water - but the leftover olive water is free and tasty.

Reactions: Emma JC
sometimes when I make stir fry instead of using one tbsp of. canola oil I use 2 - 3 tbsp of the liquid left over from a can of olives. I had assumed till just now that it had a lot of oil in it - from the olives. I think you can just use water - but the leftover olive water is free and tasty.
I've done that in dishes i use olives in, like the picadillo.
I've also used it to flavor cheeses, but I was the only one who liked that taste

Reactions: Lou
OK, I understand. Is 50 g of shredded avocado a substitute for 50 ml (avocado) oil? Or 100 g avocado cream for 100 ml (avocado) oil?

OK, so then I will need 2 to 4 whole avocados to replace 50, 60 g oil (for e.g. a 500 g lentil or buckwheat or wholemeal spelled bread), I guess.

OK, so then I will need 2 to 4 whole avocados to replace 50, 60 g oil (for e.g. a 500 g lentil or buckwheat or wholemeal spelled bread), I guess.

Don't forget you are adding bulk (oil has no fibre) and also it's not really cost effective. I don't understand why you need to use the whole fruit instead of oil.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W
Yes, that's right, quite expensive breads with 2 or 3 avocados.

I don't understand why you need to use the whole fruit instead of oil.
Well, to avoid the oil that is not or less “healthy”. I assume, shredded avocados in bread taste good / not bad (not working for cake, cookies, etc.).

Yes, that's right, quite expensive breads with 2 or 3 avocados.

Well, to avoid the oil that is not or less “healthy”. I assume, shredded avocados in bread taste good / not bad (not working for cake, cookies, etc.).

I don't adhere to the above fact so may not be the best person to give you advice. Just bear in mind that if you're substituting fat/oil in a recipe with either fruit or veg, you are adding extra bulk and water.

Reactions: Brian W

As @Lou mentioned I use the brine from jarred olives, capers, jalapenos, banana peppers to saute onions, garlic, any other veggies instead of just using water or oil - it adds an amazing taste and I am not sure how much oil, from the olives, would be in the brine but there is enough moisture/fat to make sauteing easy and tasty.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Well, to avoid the oil that is not or less “healthy”.
It's the same oil, just without the solid stuff and the water. You don't get the nutrients with extracted oil that you get with the whole food but if your diet is good anyway, you shouldn't need them.