Where to start?

Sapostropheez

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
I am considering going vegan and I am wondering how I should start? I have eaten animal products my whole life and really enjoy meat and dairy. Due to a variety of ethical and health concerns I want to alter my lifestyle for good. Any tips would be appreciated.

I am considering going vegan and I am wondering how I should start? I have eaten animal products my whole life and really enjoy meat and dairy. Due to a variety of ethical and health concerns I want to alter my lifestyle for good. Any tips would be appreciated.
:welcome:
There is no one path to vegan. There is no one better way. Realize it's not about your own purity but about doing your part to live a life that aligns more with your beliefs than what you've been taught to ignore.
I've been vegetarian/mostly vegan for 12 solid years. It was hard for me to keep vegan as animal products really are in everything, and I was kinda OCD. For me, I had to allow myself to not obsess, which is why I still say 'mostly vegan'.
It was really hard for me to give up what was my favorite food of all-cheeses. I'd say a year before I felt normal without it, could just make things and not overthink
Food is such a big habit, but habits can be changed to other habits. This wasn't as hard for me as quitting smoking was, that's for sure!

Browse all our 'what I ate today' thread in the food section. We're all here to help!
Everything from vegetarians, junk food vegans, health food vegans, even ultra policing vegans--but not so much o_O.

• Love
Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
I love what Silva said.
she said that there is on one path to Veganism. but I like to think that veganism is the path. The destination is greater compassion.

I also would go so far as to say that you are already on the path. So from now on its about steps. You know your goal - now its just about steps, techniques, learning. that is going to be personal. Thus the many paths.

So how do you want to learn? well you can learn a lot from just being here. Or reading. Or watching. or listening.

Most everyone here is happy to give suggestions. Just ask.

Reactions: KLS52
Just thought of what I feel is really good advice for almost any lifestyle change. Keep it to yourself!
There is SO much to learn, so many differing opinions.
I kept quiet, and did my own research, listened to others, but every time I let it be known where I was going people wanted to pull me to one side or the other, and without having made my own decisions, and who and what I found to be true, it was really difficult. Then it becomes difficult if and when you change your mind!
Listen to the researched research. Follow the money. Look at the agenda.

I recommend Dr Michael Greger 100% for health advice. Sure, he advocates a whole food plant based diet, no oil, no salt, no sugar--but--he also acknowledges something is better than nothing and to keep adding better habits.

Reactions: Lou