Where to find unwaxed lemons?

NaturalGirl02

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've recently been trying to drink warm lemon water in the mornings as a substitute for coffee but recently found out that not all lemons are vegan. I feel so frustrated that I didn't know about this. Does anyone know if organic lemons still have wax on them? How can I find unwaxed lemons or how do I ask stores about this?

Organics do include things like beeswax and lac-beetle shellac. I have to admit I'd totally forgotten about this.
Years ago I obsessed over these things but have become far more pragmatic that I even stopped advocating for there removal
I do know they do this to prevent things from going through the peel, and spoiling the fruit. I don't know of better alternatives, as most I can think of are petroleum based

Reactions: KLS52
Organics do include things like beeswax and lac-beetle shellac. I have to admit I'd totally forgotten about this.
Years ago I obsessed over these things but have become far more pragmatic that I even stopped advocating for there removal
I do know they do this to prevent things from going through the peel, and spoiling the fruit. I don't know of better alternatives, as most I can think of are petroleum based

No....but a search brought this up and I found it so funny I have to share---View attachment 22031
This is hilarious! hahahaha
Thank you so much, it looks like I'm going to have to do some more research on this.

Hi, NaturalGirl02...

I see you live in Indiana, so that would rule out growing your own lemons outdoors. There is a variety of dwarf lemon tree for indoor culture (although they usually recommend you put them outside during the warmer months- just be sure they get enough water because plants outdoors in containers dry out much faster). But I don't know how easy it is to grow. And you almost certainly wouldn't be able to grow all or most of your annual supply.

Anyhow... I usually just buy citrus fruit from my local grocery store because I don't eat the peels (but I do put them on my compost pile). My local health food store sells organic produce, but I haven't much looked into it.

Hi, NaturalGirl02...

I see you live in Indiana, so that would rule out growing your own lemons outdoors. There is a variety of dwarf lemon tree for indoor culture (although they usually recommend you put them outside during the warmer months- just be sure they get enough water because plants outdoors in containers dry out much faster). But I don't know how easy it is to grow. And you almost certainly wouldn't be able to grow all or most of your annual supply.

Anyhow... I usually just buy citrus fruit from my local grocery store because I don't eat the peels (but I do put them on my compost pile). My local health food store sells organic produce, but I haven't much looked into it.
Beeswax is usually used on organics though.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.
The amount of wax used is extremely small. Per this 2008 article from Citrus Fruit trade journal, 1 gallon is wax is sufficient for coating 4 tons of fruit - this works out to 0.016 ounce (0.45 gram) of wax per pound of fruit. This is about 0.1 gram of wax per lemon.
Link: Wax Coatings - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Last edited: