Midwest Where in the Midwest are you?

I'm working in Southeastern South Dakota for the next month or so. I also grew up in Michigan and spend a couple of months a year there but I'm currently going to school in California so I spend the most time out there.

Though I now live in Florida, I grew up in NW Iowa/SW Minnesota not far from South Dakota. I went to college in Cedar Falls, Iowa and lived there for many years before moving to the "sunshine state." I was just back "home" last week for my father's 85th birthday celebration. See "My Vacation" album for pictures of the area.

Just north of Chicago. Only been here since October, so I'm still getting to know the area.

--Fromper

Oh, mlp, what has inspired the move?

Just saw this post. I moved back up here to this farm, where I grew up, to take care of my mother when she had the stroke. When she died, my ex SO wanted to stay. Fast forward three years, and he moved out west. At that point, I started making up mental lists as to the benefits and drawbacks of staying here versus moving back to St. Louis. All of that got kind of short circuited a year ago last fall when I broke my right wrist and arm rather badly and realized just how SOL the critters and I would be if I had a more immobilizing injury - this is not a household where very many individuals would be equipped to step in and do what's necessary if I can't, even for a day.

I'm moving in with my sister, who also cares for a lot of animals. We'll be able to be each other's backup, and then when one of us dies, her animals' lives won't be further disrupted - they'll be staying in their home, with a familiar person taking care of them.

The size and diversity of my household requires modifications/additions to her place, but those are finally underway, and I will be moving this large and complicated household in a few months.

Best wishes to all of you during the transition. I know that moving, which I have done MANY times through the years, is very high on the list of things that I really hate doing.

Thanks, MrsSchu. At current count, 5 dogs, 39 cats, 11 parrots, 7 ducks, 5 chickens and 2 colonies of bees are moving with me. That's the part that gives me heartburn - I wish I could clone myself, because I'm going to have to move them in stages, and it would be good to be able to be in both places at once, to alleviate the stress on them.