Where have you been?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I thought it would be interesting to hear some travel stories and views on the places we have visited, and especially if these are places we've visited as vegans. And who knows, maybe we have even crossed paths without realising?

Personally, even though I don't actually like the process of travelling (especially not flying), I've been privileged enough to visit many places on altogether 3 (or maybe 4) different continents. Some places I have visited in connection with my jobs, and other places I've visited while on holiday.

Some of the places that left the most of an impression:

- Grand Canaria (does this count as Africa? :)) I visited this island when I was a child, so this was before I was vegan.
- Grand Canyon, Arizona & New Mexico (road trip). The landscape was fantastic!
- Illinois from north to south (road trip). Lots of weird and wonderful things to see, believe it or not!
- Mostar in Bosnia, Dubrovnik in Croatia. The latter was a lovely place to relax, though if you looked closely, there were still bullet holes after the war in the 90s. In Mostar the wounds from the war were more out in the open.
- Trieste in Italy. Very nice climate, wonderful sunsets, very nice food.

That's a great idea as a thread!

I live in Australia, and have travelled throughout a lot of this country, from the large capital cities, to the small rural towns and some outback areas.

I also lived in Canada for 12 years, and saw quite a bit of British Columbia and was fortunate enough to spend 2 weeks on Prince Edward Island.

I've spent a little time in Washington State and Northern and Southern California.

In my pre-vegan days I also visited Fiji and NZ.

Next week, we are going to Vanuatu for 9 days. I'm a little nervous about eating vegan over there, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of options when it comes to restaurants and cafes. Thank goodness our room has a kitchenette and there's a market nearby that sells loads of local fruits and veggies.

I also lived in Canada for 12 years, and saw quite a bit of British Columbia and was fortunate enough to spend 2 weeks on Prince Edward Island.
If you don't mind me asking, do you have dual citizenship or did you get in to Canada on some kind of work visa? If the latter, was it difficult to get?

I've only ever visited Canada briefly. Once was on a trip to Cuba and then later to the US, as there were no direct flights from the US to Cuba and back. After returning from Cuba, we hired someone to drive us across the border into NY state, and then took a train to Chicago, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, do you have dual citizenship or did you get in to Canada on some kind of work visa? If there latter, was it difficult to get?

I've only ever visited Canada briefly. Once was on a trip to Cuba and then later to the US, as there were no direct flights from the US to Cuba and back. After returning from Cuba, we hired someone to drive us across the border into NY state, and then took a train to Chicago, if I remember correctly.
Hi, as an Aussie (under 30 years old at the time), I was able to get a working holiday visa. That lasted for one year, although I understand they are valid for 2 years now. While there, I met someone, and he sponsored me to stay there as his common-law spouse. After the expiry of my working holiday visa, it took one year for my immigration paperwork for Permanent Residency to be approved. During that one year, I was unable to work (it was illegal), but after approval, I was able to live and work there as a permanent resident.

I've been to NYC, Paris, St. Emillion, Barcelona, San Francisco/Redwood City/San Mateo/Pacifica, Oregon (many times as a child),... Drove across the U.S. once from CA to Florida... Sadly nowhere since I became vegan, but I'd really like to visit Canada, Germany, and Italy - and go back to see more of Spain!

Most states in the US (just not recently), Mexico, Bahamas, England, Scotland, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, Germany (airport only), Iceland (airport only), Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Nigeria, Syria (airport only), Kenya (airport only), Chile, Bolivia, Dakar (airport only), Tunisia, most Canadian provinces except for east of Quebec and the far north territories. Last few months travelled to Montreal, Ottawa, Sault Ste Marie. You may deduce I worked in the airline industry for a short time. No longer interested in flying or going to the US despite living close to the border so Canada it is....

Emma JC

Most states in the US (just not recently), Mexico, Bahamas, England, Scotland, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, Germany (airport only), Iceland (airport only), Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Nigeria, Syria (airport only), Kenya (airport only), Chile, Bolivia, Dakhar (airport only), Tunisia, most Canadian provinces except for east of Quebec and the far north territories. Last few months travelled to Montreal, Ottawa, Sault Ste Marie. You may deduce I worked in the airline industry for a short time. No longer interested in flying or going to the US despite living close to the border so Canada it is....

Emma JC
That's a lot of places! Did any of them stand out in any way? Any surprises regarding vegan foods/products? If you could choose, would you continue living in Canada?

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
That's a lot of places! Did any of them stand out in any way? Any surprises regarding vegan foods/products? If you could choose, would you continue living in Canada?

I absolutely love Spain - was there once in the 80's and then returned in the mid-nineties and ran a small online business doing holiday rentals there for more than 15 years. One of the best meals I ever had there was an invite to a colleague's home and she served a "poverty" meal which was basically couscous and roasted garlic and a few other veggies. Poverty because it contained no animal products and I loved it so much that I reproduced it many times since then and made transitioning so much easier.

I love the Bahamas as well and my heart is broken for the people there right now. I have spent time on Grand Bahama and can't imagine what the island is now like. Most of my time spent in the Bahamas was out on the water on a liveaboard dive boat similar to the California fire boat. A nightmare!

Canada remains my favourite country, all the more so because of my travels elsewhere. I will, in all likelihood, always choose to live in Canada.

Emma JC

I've been to the following countries and places :

Canada- Toronto,Niagara Falls, Montreal,Trois Rivières, Quebec,Vancouver, Vancouver Island - Victoria, Nanaimo and other places on the southern part of the island.

USA - New York, Philadelphia,Wilmington DE, Chicago, Boston,Miami, Orlando. Southern & Northern California including SF,Napa Valley, Carmel, San Jose,Big sur,Santa Barbara, Los Angeles,Pasadena, Catalina Islands, San Diego and area,Lake Arrowhead,Grand Canyon, Fresno, Bakersfield, Phoenix,Las Vegas,Death Valley, Hawaï (including 3 islands) and many others that I don't remember. Some places/towns, I have visited several times.

Mexico- Tijuana and a few places just south of the border so not very interesting.

Israel-Tel Aviv, Haifa, Jerusalem and the Dead Sea. One of my favourite places.

Irak- Baghdad.

Bali.

Hong Kong. China
- Bejing, Shanghai, Canton,Xi'an,Zhengzou and the Great Wall.

Russia- (twice) Saint Petersburg & Moscow.

Poland- Warsaw

Greece-Athens and the Greek islands including Mykonos.

Hungary-Budapest.

Switzerland- Geneva, Zermatt, Basel. The best coffee including Italy.

Spain-Barcelona,Zaragoza, Port Bou.

Italy-Verona, Bari,Sicily, Capri,Venice,San Remo,Ventimiglia, Turin. The best food (including pasta) ever.

Malta.

Belgium
-Brussels. The best chocolates ever.

Sri Lanka- Colombo and all the southern part of the island.

The Caribbean islands- Porto Rico, Guadeloupe,Martinique,Saint Andrés.

Panama. Quite dangerous.

Colombia-Cartagena.

Reunion Island.

Mauritania-
Nouakchott

Senegal- Dakar,Casamance.

The Gambia.

Tunisia.

UK
-Most of the regions except for the south west & Scotland.

France-Most of the towns and regions except for the central Atlantic coast.

I'm not listing all the airports where I've been as I don't think that they really count.;)

Last edited:
I've been all over the US - favorite places: Maine coastline, Pacific Northwest (Oregon Coast), NYC, Boston, Mendicino, CA and Asheville, NC. Disappointing - Hawaii (even Maui), LA (smog, traffic), Florida (skip it) and Las Vegas.

I've also been to:

Canada - Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Vancouver Island

Mexico - Cabo san Lucas, Tijuana, Cancun

Caribbean - St. Thomas, Turks & Caicos, Bahamas

Bermuda

Europe - London, Paris, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen, Venice, Florence, Rome, Cinque Terre

Bucket List - Berlin, Portugal, Loire Valley, Dolomites (or other Alps), Scotland and Quebec City - and maybe Vietnam...

I, too, have been all over the U.S. I think I'm over 40 states visited. My favorite states.cities/places: Alaska, Northern California, Oregon, Washington state, anywhere in Maine (probably my favorite state), New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York City, the Berkshires, the Adirondacks, Philly (where I got live for 11 years) Chicago, Colorado (the Rockies were incredible!), Puerto Rico. My heart also bleeds for this beloved place. I haven't been able to go back since Hurricane Maria. The town I used to visit with my family did not fare well, and the recent earthquakes also did a lot of damage to it.

Spain (Madrid, Toledo)
France (Paris, Versailles)
Ireland (southwest region. My second-favorite vacation after Alaska)
Canada (Montreal and Toronto, multiple times)

Wish list: Germany, Italy, Scotland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, England, Portugal

I, too, have been all over the U.S. I think I'm over 40 states visited. My favorite states.cities/places: Alaska, Northern California, Oregon, Washington state, anywhere in Maine (probably my favorite state), New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York City, the Berkshires, the Adirondacks, Philly (where I got live for 11 years) Chicago, Colorado (the Rockies were incredible!), Puerto Rico. My heart also bleeds for this beloved place. I haven't been able to go back since Hurricane Maria. The town I used to visit with my family did not fare well, and the recent earthquakes also did a lot of damage to it.

Spain (Madrid, Toledo)
France (Paris, Versailles)
Ireland (southwest region. My second-favorite vacation after Alaska)
Canada (Montreal and Toronto, multiple times)

Wish list: Germany, Italy, Scotland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, England, Portugal

Iceland & Scotland are also on my wish list. :)

Hey, you came over to France without hopping over the Channel to see the UK !:dizzy:

I have travelled a lot in Norway. I don't think my travels can be counted as very climate friendly, as I have travelled by car mostly and also by plane. I do have taken the bus to Hungary once, and I will NEVER do that again. The toilet broke, some people got migraine and puked beside me, no possibility to strech your legs and if I hadn't been the youngest one and travelled with good people, I had been left on the border as the queue to the toilet was long... Now that I travel with a dog again, the options are a bit limited as I'm not too happy taking him in a crate on a plane again.

I have been to all counties on main land in Norway. The old 19 ones. I have walked across Dovre and Rondane as younger. Been to Geiranger twice. Lived in the northern part of the country, so seen a lot of northern lights and the midnight sun (no, it isn't a different sun :p ). I have seen most of the biggest cities here, and was in Bergen for the first time last summer. And I have quite many miles on the roads here. And took Hurtigruta from Vesterålen to Trondheim in 1990. I got so seasick....

Sweden - Southern part, special west coast And been to Gotland that is the most amazing island ever!
Denmark - All three islands, mountain climbing to some of Denmark's highest peaks and met "Danish Moutain Cattle" at the top of the country! :D
Finland - Well. I saw a lot of dogs on that trip!
Italy - 6 days in Rome on my own. Three days in Milan with a friend.
London - Two times. First time with friends (never again...) and second time alone to visit the Harry Potter studio and meet up with gaming mates.
Edinburgh - Also an solo trip. Fantastic holiday in the fall. Lot of culture, took the bus to Rosselyn Chapel. I really hope to go on a camping trip to Scotland with Rime one day.
Germany - Weekend in Berlin. Taken a bus through the entire country.
Austria - I peed here and took the bus through this country too, so I really don't count I've been there.
Tunisia as a kid. Someone wanted to buy me for camels. :p
Hungary. Three times, all dog related, but have been able to be tourist too. Budapest is amazing. I hope to go back, so "poor" Rime need to learn to use a muzzle so he can go on the metro there.
Mallorca/Spain as a kid.

But I'm a solotraveller. I really don't enjoy my hollidays with other than my dogs. :)

I am from Illinois.
Used to go to Wisconsin every year with my dad, would go there to visit grandparents or just vacation there, rent a cabin, a boat, do fun stuff over there. Also went there with mom.
Went to Florida once for a Supernatural convention with someone I’ve been friends with since kindergarten.
Been to Kentucky for a convention with someone I’ve played Toontown with
Went to Colorado a few times with mom
Went to California once with mom as well, we went to Disney land and the ocean.
She said when I was very young, she took me to Maryland.
Now I am in Mississippi, visiting my boyfriend.
My dad lives in Indiana, thinking about visiting him when I come home.
Most of the places I listed, I’ve been to while being vegan. By plane for the most part. The Kentucky trip was by greyhound, and the Wisconsin trips were by car. I live an hour away from dad

Last edited:
Wow this is a very well traveled group! I have never been out of the USA but have been to several states. I have traveled by car through a good many between Minnesota and Georgia throughout my childhood. My mother was from Georgia, my father from Minnesota, and every summer we took a road trip south. We drove through Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and then Georgia. Sometimes we went a different route and went through Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, then Georgia. I now live in Florida and have lived in North Carolina, West Virginia, and Iowa.
I have been to South Dakota, and Colorado. Road trip to Colorado from Iowa would include Nebraska. I have been to Arizona by plane. I have been to the airport in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I also have been to Wisconsin. I think that is all!

Wow this is a very well traveled group! I have never been out of the USA but have been to several states. I have traveled by car through a good many between Minnesota and Georgia throughout my childhood. My mother was from Georgia, my father from Minnesota, and every summer we took a road trip south. We drove through Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and then Georgia. Sometimes we went a different route and went through Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, then Georgia. I now live in Florida and have lived in North Carolina, West Virginia, and Iowa.
I have been to South Dakota, and Colorado. Road trip to Colorado from Iowa would include Nebraska. I have been to Arizona by plane. I have been to the airport in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I also have been to Wisconsin. I think that is all!

That's quiet a lot of places that you've visited.

If you were to go abroad what would your wish list be ?

I would love to go to the UK and Europe as well as Australia. Italy and Greece fascinate me for the history. Actually I would like to go everywhere! :D

The UK is really a nice place to visit for so many reasons. Australia is also a country that I'd like to visit one day. I was actually disappointed when I went to Greece( forgot to put it on my post) and Italy wasn't quite like you imagine it in the films.

I would really like to visit South Africa and Lesthoto including many other countries. Who knows?

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I doubt I ever get out of the USA. Right now my "bucket list" consists mostly of places more attainable like a lot of places in Florida like the Keys. I would like to get up to Asheville, NC someday.

The UK is really a nice place to visit for so many reasons. Australia is also a country that I'd like to visit one day. I was actrually disappointed when I went to Greece( forgot to put it on my post) and Italy wasn't quite like you imagine it in the films.

I would really like to visit South Africa and Lesthoto including many other countries. Who knows?
I would love to go all over the U.K. I want to go to music festivals there and go hiking.