Where have you been?

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I thought it would be interesting to hear some travel stories and views on the places we have visited, and especially if these are places we've visited as vegans. And who knows, maybe we have even crossed paths without realising?

Personally, even though I don't actually like the process of travelling (especially not flying), I've been privileged enough to visit many places on altogether 3 (or maybe 4) different continents. Some places I have visited in connection with my jobs, and other places I've visited while on holiday.

Some of the places that left the most of an impression:

- Grand Canaria (does this count as Africa? :)) I visited this island when I was a child, so this was before I was vegan.
- Grand Canyon, Arizona & New Mexico (road trip). The landscape was fantastic!
- Illinois from north to south (road trip). Lots of weird and wonderful things to see, believe it or not!
- Mostar in Bosnia, Dubrovnik in Croatia. The latter was a lovely place to relax, though if you looked closely, there were still bullet holes after the war in the 90s. In Mostar the wounds from the war were more out in the open.
- Trieste in Italy. Very nice climate, wonderful sunsets, very nice food.

HappyRoxy

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
That's a great idea as a thread!

I live in Australia, and have travelled throughout a lot of this country, from the large capital cities, to the small rural towns and some outback areas.

I also lived in Canada for 12 years, and saw quite a bit of British Columbia and was fortunate enough to spend 2 weeks on Prince Edward Island.

I've spent a little time in Washington State and Northern and Southern California.

In my pre-vegan days I also visited Fiji and NZ.

Next week, we are going to Vanuatu for 9 days. I'm a little nervous about eating vegan over there, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of options when it comes to restaurants and cafes. Thank goodness our room has a kitchenette and there's a market nearby that sells loads of local fruits and veggies.

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I also lived in Canada for 12 years, and saw quite a bit of British Columbia and was fortunate enough to spend 2 weeks on Prince Edward Island.
If you don't mind me asking, do you have dual citizenship or did you get in to Canada on some kind of work visa? If the latter, was it difficult to get?

I've only ever visited Canada briefly. Once was on a trip to Cuba and then later to the US, as there were no direct flights from the US to Cuba and back. After returning from Cuba, we hired someone to drive us across the border into NY state, and then took a train to Chicago, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: HappyRoxy

HappyRoxy

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
If you don't mind me asking, do you have dual citizenship or did you get in to Canada on some kind of work visa? If there latter, was it difficult to get?

I've only ever visited Canada briefly. Once was on a trip to Cuba and then later to the US, as there were no direct flights from the US to Cuba and back. After returning from Cuba, we hired someone to drive us across the border into NY state, and then took a train to Chicago, if I remember correctly.
Hi, as an Aussie (under 30 years old at the time), I was able to get a working holiday visa. That lasted for one year, although I understand they are valid for 2 years now. While there, I met someone, and he sponsored me to stay there as his common-law spouse. After the expiry of my working holiday visa, it took one year for my immigration paperwork for Permanent Residency to be approved. During that one year, I was unable to work (it was illegal), but after approval, I was able to live and work there as a permanent resident.

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I've been to NYC, Paris, St. Emillion, Barcelona, San Francisco/Redwood City/San Mateo/Pacifica, Oregon (many times as a child),... Drove across the U.S. once from CA to Florida... Sadly nowhere since I became vegan, but I'd really like to visit Canada, Germany, and Italy - and go back to see more of Spain!

Emma JC

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Most states in the US (just not recently), Mexico, Bahamas, England, Scotland, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, Germany (airport only), Iceland (airport only), Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Nigeria, Syria (airport only), Kenya (airport only), Chile, Bolivia, Dakhar (airport only), Tunisia, most Canadian provinces except for east of Quebec and the far north territories. Last few months travelled to Montreal, Ottawa, Sault Ste Marie. You may deduce I worked in the airline industry for a short time. No longer interested in flying or going to the US despite living close to the border so Canada it is....

Emma JC

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Most states in the US (just not recently), Mexico, Bahamas, England, Scotland, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, Germany (airport only), Iceland (airport only), Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Nigeria, Syria (airport only), Kenya (airport only), Chile, Bolivia, Dakhar (airport only), Tunisia, most Canadian provinces except for east of Quebec and the far north territories. Last few months travelled to Montreal, Ottawa, Sault Ste Marie. You may deduce I worked in the airline industry for a short time. No longer interested in flying or going to the US despite living close to the border so Canada it is....

Emma JC
That's a lot of places! Did any of them stand out in any way? Any surprises regarding vegan foods/products? If you could choose, would you continue living in Canada?

Emma JC

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
That's a lot of places! Did any of them stand out in any way? Any surprises regarding vegan foods/products? If you could choose, would you continue living in Canada?
I absolutely love Spain - was there once in the 80's and then returned in the mid-nineties and ran a small online business doing holiday rentals there for more than 15 years. One of the best meals I ever had there was an invite to a colleague's home and she served a "poverty" meal which was basically couscous and roasted garlic and a few other veggies. Poverty because it contained no animal products and I loved it so much that I reproduced it many times since then and made transitioning so much easier.

I love the Bahamas as well and my heart is broken for the people there right now. I have spent time on Grand Bahama and can't imagine what the island is now like. Most of my time spent in the Bahamas was out on the water on a liveaboard dive boat similar to the California fire boat. A nightmare!

Canada remains my favourite country, all the more so because of my travels elsewhere. I will, in all likelihood, always choose to live in Canada.

Emma JC

• 👍
Reactions: Indian Summer