What's up with quinoa

gonegreengirl

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegan newbie
I keep hearing and reading about the use of quinoa in western society and the subsequent consequences.
Either it's starving Bolivian farmers, or devastating the environment, or it's all just a huge myth.
It has been causing so much controversy for so many years now!
As a result, I tend to avoid consuming it, because I simply have no idea what the truth is.

If anyone has clarifying information, reputable sources etc it would be much appreciated.
Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum.

I have read quite a bit about food and often seen all sorts of criticisms about meat rather than plant food. I think a plant based diet is the key to a low impact.

When plant based foods come in for criticism, its rice (high carbon footprint) and avocados and almonds (water) that seem to be among the claimed offenders.

I haven't heard much about quinoa after reading tons about environmental and other impacts of food, and that suggest to me it may be OK.

A quick google ...I find this....
which says
"In recent years, human rights activists have raised concerns over whether the seed’s booming sales have adversely affected the Bolivian and Peruvian farmers that rely on quinoa as a staple in their own diets. As a result of its popularity, the price of quinoa has skyrocketed in the countries where it is grown, and farmers are scrambling to grow enough to meet the demand."
But hang on a minute. Doesn't that mean wealth transfer from the West to Bolivia, that might be a good thing. I bet the Bolivians as a nation would rather have higher prices for their quinoa than lower, all things considered.
I also travelled around Bolivia once and Quinoa wasn't a staple dish, actually, at least not in restaurants and street stalls. They tend to eat rice and chips so it's not like they are going to starve. Bolivia is a poor country, but people are not starving.

Here's another article
It's saying Bolivians can no longer afford to eat it regularly
Then again, if the Bolivians are selling this for foreign $$, hopefully taxes are getting paid on it, and it's funding Bolivia's health care and so on.

Who's to say the benefits don't out weight the good?

I wouldn't worry about it.

• Agree
Reactions: 500channelsurfer
I've heard it's easy to grown.
I personalty don't like it
I am always suspect when foods are suddenly touted as "super foods" There are so many local, cheap and readily available foods that are 'super' that go unnoticed. Like any whole grain or seeds!

Reactions: gonegreengirl
Y
I have read quite a bit about food and often seen all sorts of criticisms about meat rather than plant food. I think a plant based diet is the key to a low impact.

When plant based foods come in for criticism, its rice (high carbon footprint) and avocados and almonds (water) that seem to be among the claimed offenders.

I haven't heard much about quinoa after reading tons about environmental and other impacts of food, and that suggest to me it may be OK.

A quick google ...I find this....
which says
"In recent years, human rights activists have raised concerns over whether the seed’s booming sales have adversely affected the Bolivian and Peruvian farmers that rely on quinoa as a staple in their own diets. As a result of its popularity, the price of quinoa has skyrocketed in the countries where it is grown, and farmers are scrambling to grow enough to meet the demand."
But hang on a minute. Doesn't that mean wealth transfer from the West to Bolivia, that might be a good thing. I bet the Bolivians as a nation would rather have higher prices for their quinoa than lower, all things considered.
I also travelled around Bolivia once and Quinoa wasn't a staple dish, actually, at least not in restaurants and street stalls. They tend to eat rice and chips so it's not like they are going to starve. Bolivia is a poor country, but people are not starving.

Here's another article
It's saying Bolivians can no longer afford to eat it regularly
Then again, if the Bolivians are selling this for foreign $$, hopefully taxes are getting paid on it, and it's funding Bolivia's health care and so on.

Who's to say the benefits don't out weight the good?

I wouldn't worry about it.
You raised some really good points about the staples we take for granted.
No matter how nit-picky you are, it's impossible to be perfect and it just sets one up to get burnt-out :shrug:

Reactions: KLS52