What's in Your Fruit Bowl ?

I know we had something like this somewhere else. but I can't find it so I'll just stick it here. Seems like a good place anyway.
Also if memory serves this is a lot more comprehensive than the article I recall

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and EllieW
I went to a different farmer's market today. Soon, my fruit basket will have Stayman Winesap apples, some apricots, and a big cucumber (unless I put the cuke in the fridge... but I won't have to do that until I cut it.)

EDITED TO ADD: I wish I'd read @Lou 's post just above about cleaning off your produce before I snarfed two of my apricots... Usually, I'm more fussy than most about things such as washing my hands. I really should keep in mind where my fruit and veggies come from.

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieW and KLS52
Moldy apples. Are those safe to eat? They were moldy when I bought them, but didn't notice.
Often times the fruits are moldy. But one time I got sick from eating moldy kiwis, so I'm a bit cautious.

Edit: apparently it should be safe to eat, if the mold is only in the core and not in the flesh. Just don't eat the core.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
  • Sad
Reactions: Tom L. and EllieW
Moldy apples. Are those safe to eat? They were moldy when I bought them, but didn't notice.
Often times the fruits are moldy. But one time I got sick from eating moldy kiwis, so I'm a bit cautious.

Edit: apparently it should be safe to eat, if the mold is only in the core and not in the flesh. Just don't eat the core.
I'm kind of phobic about mold. I worry about things in the mold that might not be good for us, and the fact that the mold's fibers can sometimes grow through the rest of the food- not just on the surface. I guess some molds are edible... (isn't tempeh made by mold fermentation?)... but even that is a bit of a turn-off for me, even though I think I ordered something with tempeh in a restaurant once and liked it.

• Agree
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I'm kind of phobic about mold. I worry about things in the mold that might not be good for us, and the fact that the mold's fibers can sometimes grow through the rest of the food- not just on the surface. I guess some molds are edible... (isn't tempeh made by mold fermentation?)... but even that is a bit of a turn-off for me, even though I think I ordered something with tempeh in a restaurant once and liked it.
It isn't advisable to eat produce with mold in it. But sometimes it won't make you ill. I can completely understand when you say that you are kind of phobic about mold. And mold in nuts can cause liver cancer, or that's something I read a while back. I don't know if that is true or not.

@StrangeOtter Yes! the mold is Aspergillus, and in at least certain situations it can produce aflatoxin- a known carcinogen for humans and other species.
Why you're supposed to soak cashews in boiling water, right? I know a lot of recipes only suggest that if you don't use a high speed blender, but I'm pretty sure it's to kill any spores

I have a tray of peaches that of course got ripe at the same time. I think I'll have to freeze them. I'm not fond of cooked peaches

• Sad
Reactions: EllieW
I found some golden kiwi fruit on sale. It's always so expensive. Anyhow, my fruit bowl for lunch today will be mango, papaya. banana, kiwi, strawberry and blueberry, topped with hemp hearts.

Reactions: PTree15 and EllieW