What's in Your Fruit Bowl ?

Not technically, but at this point, yes. I might spring for an Asian pear. Had one, once and it was really good. I also want to try a persimmon...it looks like a tomato. Does it taste like one?

Nothing.. My son has read that all fruit should be kept in the fridge so everytime I put it in the bowl he moves it back to the fridge and then forgets it's there !!! :fp:
Lol my son is the opposite. He thinks chilling it takes the flavor away (I agree with tomatoes) so he is always putting stuff back in our fruit bowl. Also squash, etc.

Reactions: Ann Chovie
Not technically, but at this point, yes. I might spring for an Asian pear. Had one, once and it was really good. I also want to try a persimmon...it looks like a tomato. Does it taste like one?

No, I wouldn't say that persimmons taste like tomatoes. They have a nice, delicate taste which I find hard to describe.

I have another 2 of them in my fruit bowl and will have one for my afternoon snack.

Reactions: ledboots
It's persimmon season! Yay! Just be sure they're ripe when you eat them so they dnt mk yer mth pckr p...

Actually, I would say they have a very sweet taste, not tangy at all. But if they're not ripe, they are astringent... they make the inside of your mouth feel almost like fuzzy peach skin. I don;t eat them until they're very soft. The one I ate a week or two ago had its seeds surrounded by blackened pulp; I threw that part out. (If you've seen a date pit, that's what persimmon pits look like- about the same size, long and narrow.)

It's persimmon season! Yay! Just be sure they're ripe when you eat them so they dnt mk yer mth pckr p...

Actually, I would say they have a very sweet taste, not tangy at all. But if they're not ripe, they are astringent... they make the inside of your mouth feel almost like fuzzy peach skin. I don;t eat them until they're very soft. The one I ate a week or two ago had its seeds surrounded by blackened pulp; I threw that part out. (If you've seen a date pit, that's what persimmon pits look like- about the same size, long and narrow.)
Omg... Wish I saw this before I just bit into one, lol, lol, lol! Disgusting!! [emoji12]

I did end up with tasty watermelon (that I paid an arm and a leg for...well, maybe just an arm), kiwi and seedless black grapes that are to die for. At least the persimmon looked pretty.
image.jpg

So, will a persimmon ripen if I buy another one and let it sit for a few days? I'd like to try again. Despite the horrible cotton mouth it gave me, I think I will really like the flavor if its ripe enough.

I was going to ask you what you do with the coconut. That looks awesome!

So, will a persimmon ripen if I buy another one and let it sit for a few days? I'd like to try again. Despite the horrible cotton mouth it gave me, I think I will really like the flavor if its ripe enough.
I've gotten persimmons when they weren't quite ripe and left them around until they got soft. I don't think it ever took longer than a week, if that, but I prefer to get them already ripe. Do you know anyone who likes them, and can show you a ripe one? I'm trying to think... I like persimmons when they're softer than a ripe peach or plum. It's hard to describe, actually. Any other fruit I can think of would be rotten by the time it was a soft as a ripe persimmon.

I thought the one I bought was pretty soft but apparently not soft enough. I still can't get over how bad it was, lol. I'm definitely going to try again, though.

I was going to ask you what you do with the coconut. That looks awesome!

It is delicious and quite easy to make. When I purchased it and had planned to crystallise it.

I thought the one I bought was pretty soft but apparently not soft enough. I still can't get over how bad it was, lol. I'm definitely going to try again, though.

I think that there are various types of persimmons as they don't all have a bad taste. The ones that I buy over here are fine even if they are under ripe. I actually prefer them this way.

Reactions: KLS52
fruit bowl today nov.jpg

The coconut has now disappeared and I have bought some more persimmons, kiwis and bananas.

Last edited: