Whatcha Makin'??

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can something so simple permeate this house with such a deliciously maddening aroma?? :drool: Holy ****, it smells awesome in here!

I tossed this into a large pan with a little water & a little EVOO (not following instructions, not planning on draining anything)....

large_dde2363a-5629-4d02-b5e6-62458dfcf40b.png

Even before it started to simmer I added garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, Mrs. Dash, a little pink salt, & 2 scoops of nooch.

I use these seasonings all the time... together... so it must be the combo of them with those veggies... OMG, I can't take it!! :woo:

Anyhoo, I nuked a pouch of this... not to it's specified time, also not following instructions... :rolleyes:
box_ready_penne_142x_v2.png

Tossed that stuff in the pan with another drizzle of EVOO, a splash of chardonnay, & a couple more scoops o' nooch....

It's smells so amazing I had to close the door to the kitchen because I don't want it to wake anyone.... LOL :p

Reactions: PTree15
Makin' vegan mac-n-cheese... no recipe to share (don't really use them or keep track of what I do)... just got some water on for macaroni pasta & will sauce with my roasted cauliflower-cheese... and I'll add some fresh chopped Roma tomato & snipped baby kale after everything's done.... :dance:

ETA: Had to copy/delete/repaste 'cuz I couldn't post a pic after the fact... anyhoo, thar she be....

Vegan Mac-n-Cauli-Cheese 8-15.JPG

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I made a dozen vegan sausages. This was the last batch. I so love these.
20180815_231917.jpg

Reactions: Katrina
I have chickpeas simmering and will make hummus and chickpea salad. I may freeze some of the hummus to save for when I have friends over in a week or so.

Hummus is awesome like that... it freezes well. :up:
Yes, it does. I made another batch tonight to eat this week. I also made four more batches of pesto for my mom. Her mini prep food processor crapped out and she'd already cut a ton of basil over the weekend. So I took it home and made pesto for her. It will come in handy after her knee surgery. Cook pasta and mix in pesto. Easy-peasy. :) I am soaking more chickpeas. I want to make some cutlets. It's been a while since I had those.

Minestrone! You'd think could wait till it got cooler, but it sounded good and I had everything. Kidney beans soaked so everything cooks 3 minutes in Instantpot, then the kale goes in for another 3 minutes.

Yes, it does. I made another batch tonight to eat this week. I also made four more batches of pesto for my mom. Her mini prep food processor crapped out and she'd already cut a ton of basil over the weekend. So I took it home and made pesto for her. It will come in handy after her knee surgery. Cook pasta and mix in pesto. Easy-peasy. :) I am soaking more chickpeas. I want to make some cutlets. It's been a while since I had those.
Oh yeah! chickpea cutlets are so good. I just happen to have mushrooms and plain almond milk to make my favorite gravy- and potatoes :D

Oh yeah! chickpea cutlets are so good. I just happen to have mushrooms and plain almond milk to make my favorite gravy- and potatoes :D
I've yet to find a decent gravy recipe that doesn't include mushrooms. Do the mushroom gravies taste like mushrooms?

Reactions: Val
I've made lots of gravy without mushrooms. I just do a roux with olive oil and equal flour- usually 1/4 cup each, let cook a couple minutes, add spices maybe minced garlic just before slowly whisking in a cup of broth, or water then slowly whisk in another cup- sometimes non dairy milk. I like rosemary gravy--though I guess you'd call it a white sauce o_O.
Minced onions and no- beef better than boullion is really good.
I swear BTB is getting saltier :eek:.
I do find these low sodium chik'n cubes in 3 packs that happen to be vegan. Telma. They're found in the kosher aisle

Reactions: Val
I did make the cutlets but with cannelini beans. I did my usual dredge in flour, saute then simmer. So good and tender

I've made lots of gravy without mushrooms. I just do a roux with olive oil and equal flour- usually 1/4 cup each, let cook a couple minutes, add spices maybe minced garlic just before slowly whisking in a cup of broth, or water then slowly whisk in another cup- sometimes non dairy milk. I like rosemary gravy--though I guess you'd call it a white sauce o_O.
Minced onions and no- beef better than boullion is really good.
I swear BTB is getting saltier :eek:.
I do find these low sodium chik'n cubes in 3 packs that happen to be vegan. Telma. They're found in the kosher aisle
I don't mind the white gravies, but I prefer brown. Dang, now I want gravy. :D

I so miss Campbells canned mushroom gravy :oops:
I may have only bought two cans a year, but it was so convienent, cheap, and at hand
Why can't there be a cheap good tasting gravy out there? Or vegan condensed creme soups that aren't overpriced?
I swear if I didn't have a house full of cats I'd start something :rolleyes:

Well, this is what Jer's currently working on... and the first pic is not his, this is the lame kit design "completed", found the image online....

MOES0970-450.jpg
<--- Like I said... lame. :down: And to have "Halloween" on it? More lame!

He actually had to mold another fence part himself because it was wrong... and he's been working on this kit for a couple weeks, now... I wanted to take a picture of it last night, he said "No, it's not ready!" I said it was fine, I'll just capture the process... but I needed a darker, less busy background so he sort of lunged behind it... I was laughing while trying to get a decent shot, he's laughing "Please hurry"....

H-Model 1.jpg

Yeah, that's some nice bloodying & aging & dirtying & flocking, there! :up: He's got more to do... he already added a couple newspapers (regarding the murders), small-scale, printed 'em at work, dipped in Elmer's Glue, now they're stuck to the porch. And it's attention to detail that I appreciate, always. So I went looking for tiny leaves... first at stores, no luck. Then the solution hit me when I pulled in his driveway... I snagged some brand-new-growth (the stuff that is out of control & crawling all over the fence)... we're going to see how it dries, he loved the idea. But that's just one species... he has dozens more to choose from.... (the beer cap is for scale)

H-Model Leaf 1.jpg

And he's working on a back-lit background for it, as well... plus he'll "matte" everything so there are no glossy surfaces. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Katrina and PTree15
Doing some improvising in the kitchen.... I want to use up the rest of my dry brown rice (not much but it should be enough for what I'm doing)... I still have lentils... what I don't have is broth. But I do have half a red onion left, I have half a pound (roughly) of mushrooms left, I have two bell peppers left, plus plenty of garlic & greens (plus frozen mixed veggies if need be)... so I'll use the garlic & onion & shrooms & the tops of the peppers, sauté it all, add water & spices to make a nice stock... saving the bottom "bulb" parts of the peppers to eventually stuff them with the filling that ensues. LOL

I'm just making the stock & filling today, though... not much time for anything else. Better get to it! :chef:

ETA: Actually, I think I'm only going to be able to make the stock before I leave. That's just fine, though... it'll give the flavors more time to mingle, let that bay leaf do its thing. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15
Hooraaaay!:pride: I've made pickled cuckes! From our greenhouse... I put fresh dill plants, dried dill, horseradish leaves, some decent seasoning, a lot of cayenne powder, apple cider vinegar and hot water. I had to put a heavy plate on top not to let them float. It already smells good:yes:. They will be absolutely ready by tomorrow morning.:drool: I didn't put garlic, as i'm not a big fan, but cayenne must be appropriate. :woo: Despite that they can be eaten at once, they may stay in the fridge in an open jar, or pot, or plastic container for ~1.5 months, and nothing would happen. :sheep:

Reactions: Katrina
Hooraaaay!:pride: I've made pickled cuckes! From our greenhouse... I put fresh dill plants, dried dill, horseradish leaves, some decent seasoning, a lot of cayenne powder, apple cider vinegar and hot water. I had to put a heavy plate on top not to let them float. It already smells good:yes:. They will be absolutely ready by tomorrow morning.:drool: I didn't put garlic, as i'm not a big fan, but cayenne must be appropriate. :woo: Despite that they can be eaten at once, they may stay in the fridge in an open jar, or pot, or plastic container for ~1.5 months, and nothing would happen. :sheep:
Yay for lots of dill! :D And horseradish leaves... I love that idea!! :clp: Horseradish & dill pickles, those sound amazing! :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.