Whatcha Makin'??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stage 1 of furniture stripping is now complete. The foam was total crap, so once that ran out, I picked up gel. The gel works so much better, though it's trickier to use. It dries out quickly, and it burns like hell if you get it on your skin. I had to keep running to the sink to wash it off my arm. And yes, I wore gloves. I am just careless sometimes.

It took some trial and error before I found the most effective way to strip the wood. You can see the difference between the first drawer and the last. The first looks like crap, and the last one looks amazing. Lol.

For Stage 2 of furniture stripping, I'll have to go over all the spots I missed. THEN I'll be able to sand the whole thing.
It's been so many years since I've done stuff like that! I stripped the dressers I had as a kid with a liquid stripper, then painted them red and blue for my son, He still has it! I did another dresser for my other son that a friend gave me that I used a polyurathane gloss on. I then bought a very worn dining room table and use a gel stripper. It turned out to be wormy mahoganey (I was told). That one I stained, and what a pain in the a that was! I did not do a very good job with the brush strokes!

I'm making a double batch of these 'ribz' again. this time I used almond butter as I thought peanut butter tasted off. The dough I swear has the taste of ribs already even raw! I'm sure I'm wrong, but it's what I want! :)
If you ever had Morningstar BBQ riblets this has that texture. Just doing it in the oven- no grill
Vegan Barbecue "Ribs" - Baked In

^ Staining is a real pain. The last dresser I did turned out streaky. Then I realized it's better to apply a pre-stain wood conditioner so as to avoid the streaks. I'm going to follow that step this time, and hopefully the stain will go on evenly.

Ah, so I started sanding it today. I can actually see the raw wood. Looks like pine. I somehow keep ruining paint brushes, so I'll have to do some research before doing much else. I probably didn't use the proper cleaner last time.

Reheating a no-cheese "personal" veggie pizza from G's in my big skillet....

G'sVeganZa.JPG

I added garlic powder, oregano, walnut-parm & Daiya cheddar shreds (didn't have mozz) after the pic... but I'm very pleased to see they didn't skimp on the toppings! I'm getting quite excited for this.... LOL :rolleyes:

ETA: And OMG... whole roasted garlic cloves on my pizza?? Holy f*cking YES, please!!!! :drool:

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15
I'm oven-roasting both bags of cauliflower with EVOO... took the pan out a few minutes ago to stir everything up, add nooch, and two thick slices of onion & four cloves of garlic... back in it went.

My goal is to make my "cheese" sauce with that stuff... then I'm gonna boil some SuperGreens rotini... the pasta plus "cheese" sauce plus the can of sweet peas plus some petite diced tomatoes will be din-din tonight.

And damn, it sure smells good in here right now! :drool:

Reactions: Val
Makin' vegan potato latkes today! :D Never made 'em before... they'll have sweet onion & green onion (scallions)... the frozen hash browns are almost thawed (no extra moisture!) and my flax "eggs" are just about set... still haven't decided if I'm going to pan-fry or baste-n-bake... maybe both.... :p LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Making my new spicy mexican bean soup!:drool: But instead of black beans i'll put red beans, as i like them more.:master: And i won't put avocado because i really hate it.:???:OTOH, i'll put lots of various veggies (and dill, hehehe:leer:), and lots of cayenne, of course.:lick:

Reactions: PTree15 and silva
I sauteed tempeh and beet greens! I sliced it and put in a liquid smoke/Braggs marinade thinking I'd let sit a couple days to soak, but thought this instead. I just bought the beets and they came with quite a nice bunch of greens. Stems were kinda chewy, but still really good.
Now I'll cook the beets for tomorrow.

Tonight after work, I'm going to make pesto, hummus and scones. I have friends coming for the weekend, so I want to have some good stuff on hand for them. I know they love the pasta pesto with the tomato-basil salad, so I'll be making that. I'm also going to make some overnight oats, maybe the peanut butter/chocolate flavor. So delicious. And I'm going to make my own cold brew coffee. They are big coffee lovers. :)

Reactions: Mischief
Roasting my frozen Brussels sprouts... packed up a small container of my roasted cauliflower "cheese" to freeze, gonna use the rest of it for angel hair pasta later tonight... I'll sauté some onion first now... the cheese sauce is pretty thick (more of a dip), so I'll work that out as well.... I have a couple spoonfuls of pasta sauce & some leftover diced tomatoes, that plus onion, kale, & roasted sprouts should make for some late-night tastiness....

Last edited:
I thought I would try to mix vanilla protein powder with almond milk and freeze it to see if it turned out like ice cream. It did not work!

Reactions: KLS52
I thought I would try to mix vanilla protein powder with almond milk and freeze it to see if it turned out like ice cream. It did not work!
I’ve tried that before. It always ended up like a giant ice cube, lol.

I made two of four batches of pesto before running out of nutritional yeast flakes, and I didn't get the scones done. So those will be tonight's projects. :D

I made two of four batches of pesto before running out of nutritional yeast flakes, and I didn't get the scones done. So those will be tonight's projects. :D
Still have the scones to make, lol. But I did make the other two batches of pesto, chickpea salad and hummus. Scones for real tomorrow night, along with lots of cleaning. I need a clone. I also want to make banana-nut butter ice cream. I'm going to try my hand at making cold brew coffee as well. I bought the coffee maker yesterday. I like that it makes a concentrate, so you just add water to it. It makes 14 8 oz. servings. And it's nice and small, so it won't take up a lot of space on the counter or in the fridge (it has a spout for easy pouring :) ).

Still have the scones to make, lol. But I did make the other two batches of pesto, chickpea salad and hummus. Scones for real tomorrow night, along with lots of cleaning. I need a clone. I also want to make banana-nut butter ice cream. I'm going to try my hand at making cold brew coffee as well. I bought the coffee maker yesterday. I like that it makes a concentrate, so you just add water to it. It makes 14 8 oz. servings. And it's nice and small, so it won't take up a lot of space on the counter or in the fridge (it has a spout for easy pouring :) ).
Oh, I hope everything goes as planned for you & tastes delicious!! :) You go, girl! Rock that sh*t out. :cool: LOL :p

I've been loving cold brew in my bodum french press! Interesting in yours though, how it filters the grounds. Now I'm just adding water to them and pouring on compost, in winter I have to scrape them in the garbage (cause I don't do winter compost)

Reactions: PTree15
I'm going to make vegan ranch dressing... but the last time I had to use Just Mayo & it just didn't taste good, not like when I make it with the Teta Foods garlic spread. This time I'm trying reduced-fat Vegenaise (it was heavily discounted, wouldn't have grabbed it otherwise)....

But I'm going to roast a bulb of garlic first. ;) Roasted garlic & dill vegan ranch is the goal. I hope my soy milk is still good... smells OK.... :shrug: LOL

Well, I need to do something with the leftover stuffed pepper filling (there's a lot) and the corn tortillas I thawed. They're not very thin tortillas so I'm not sure if oven-baked taquitos are going to work. I'll nuke one & try to roll it up with filling... if I don't think that'll pan out (some tortillas already look cracked), I'll make enchiladas or an enchilada casserole instead. I already finely chopped the rest of my pepperjack Daiya shreds & a couple Daiya cheddar slices, added half to the filling... I put the remaining cheese in the fridge in case I go the enchilada route....

My frozen-solid homemade picante sauce is thawing... that could be a taquito dipping sauce or be turned into enchilada sauce....

Status
Not open for further replies.