What Was The Last Thing You Ate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a great peach. It was tree ripened and tasted wonderful. The juice was running down my chin and dripping on my shirt (why I usually slice them, put them in a bowl and eat them with a spoon) but I didn't care - it was sooooo good.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
I wanted pesto on noodles but I didn't have either pre-made pesto or fresh basil and pine nuts, so I invented a new recipe

Disclaimer: recipe is new to me - all my greatest culinary inventions end up having been discovered earlier - i.e. when I was about 11 or 12 and had just learned how to make pie crust, I invented "Breakfast Pie". I was tremendously excited and wanted to share my discovery with the world until someone said "Oh you made a Quiche".
I was crushed (I recovered).

Anyway....

I made a broccoli/spinach/walnut pesto.
It was excellent.

Directions:
(I measured none of the ingredients while making this)
I boiled the broccoli florettes (about 1 1/2 cups) for around 3 minutes and then quenched them to stop the cooking. After drying them a bit I put them with 2 cloves garlic, a small handful of spinach, 1/3 to a 1/2 cup of walnuts and a bit over 2 tablespoons of olive oil in my chopper (basic food processor). I blended them untill everything was well mixed and chopped into a chunky pesto size. While this was going on I cooked some spaghetti (enough to fit in the ring made by my index finger touching my thumb - supposed to be enough for 3 to 4 people for a spaghetti dinner). I drained the spaghetti and then mixed about a 1/4 cup of parmesan and 1/2 tsp of black pepper with it. Then I stirred in the pesto and ate 1/2 of it for dinner (normal people likely would have eaten less - or had something with it - but I'm probably going to eat the rest tonight - I'm getting hungry just thinking about it).

Last edited:
I was right, I ate the rest of the spaghetti and pesto for my nightly snack. -I think next time I might try adding some green onion or scallions and/or a little crushed red pepper, just for kicks.

Today for dinner I had the sandwich Mr. McDonald (of golden arches fame) tried to promote for Catholics on Friday instead of the fishwich (which he thought would be much less popular than this veg*n concoction - sadly he was wrong).
-I had a fried pineapple sandwich (along with some tator tots and a side of leftover peas).

I had a big salad for dinner (Earthbound Farm Organic salad mix - "Herb Blend" ) with added shredded cabbage and carrot. I sprinkled it with a little vinaigrette dressing and tossed on some chickpeas for a protein boost (plus I really like chickpeas).

...but now I read Amy's post and I'm hungry again.

Reactions: Amy SF
I had a big salad for dinner (Earthbound Farm Organic salad mix - "Herb Blend" ) with added shredded cabbage and carrot. I sprinkled it with a little vinaigrette dressing and tossed on some chickpeas for a protein boost (plus I really like chickpeas).

...but now I read Amy's post and I'm hungry again.

I sort of cheated because I still don't have a fully functioning kitchen. I got pre-made grilled seitan from the co-op. The steamed veggies came from the co-op's hot food bar. The brown rice was precooked shelf-stable instant Minute rice. All still pretty good, though. I sprinkled soy sauce on the rice and veggies.

Last night Amy's post made me hungry, and even though (unlike Amy) I have a fully functioning kitchen I wasn't that energetic ("not energetic" sounds much classier than "I was too lazy to do it"). So I skipped making seitan and instead I sliced and fried some tofu with a little soy sauce. Then I added some frozen stir fry vegetables, warmed it and had it with some Minute Rice (left over).

Tonight I diced what was left of the tofu block. Lightly coated it in a mix of cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, cumin, and celery salt. Fried it in some olive oil. Once it was browned I added picante sauce, some diced onion, and a handful of cooked chickpeas to the pan and warmed it all. I ate it on top of some salad greens (same type as I had last night) with a few corn chips. It wasn't bad.

Breakfast was rice cooked with some violet leaves and two tablespoons of ground flax seeds, and some chili beans on top. Lunch was rolled oats, with a peach, and a Clif bar (blueberry crisp flavor... good, but not really all that crispy...) Before I left work to go to the gym I had more rolled oats- with an apple this time.

The violet leaves don't taste like much, but I've heard they have a lot of vitamin C. They grow all over my lawn, and I figured I might as well use them sometimes. The flax was for some omega-3 fats. I keep having dinner-type foods for breakfast, and breakfasty stuff for lunch... Wierd.

For dinner I had a salad with chickpeas again. I added some carrot tops to the salad which added a little different (and appreciated) flavor. I didn't know about eating carrot tops until just a short time ago. To me they taste somewhat like parsley. You want stalks that aren't too old, as they get a little woody and the flavor becomes too strong as they age. However you can separate out and save smaller and younger stalks from the older growth on the same carrot top.

Later I ran some carrots through my Vitamix along with a couple oranges that were getting old and had a orange/carrot drink (one of my favorite mixes).

Reactions: KLS52
Today for dinner I had the salad (above) again, I added some green beans and a turnip I picked in my garden and chopped up. I also tossed on a small handful of chopped walnut. I ate it without any dressing. It was pretty good.

I shared this salad with my parents (they used dressing). They also had some chicken my Mom got at the store (they knew I wouldn't eat it, but they aren't vegetarians and they wanted something for themselves to eat - they knew I would have food already prepared for myself and didn't want me to have to go to the trouble of cooking something for them).

Today for dinner I had the salad (above) again, I added some green beans and a turnip I picked in my garden and chopped up. I also tossed on a small handful of chopped walnut. I ate it without any dressing. It was pretty good.

I shared this salad with my parents (they used dressing). They also had some chicken my Mom got at the store (they knew I wouldn't eat it, but they aren't vegetarians and they wanted something for themselves to eat - they knew I would have food already prepared for myself and didn't want me to have to go to the trouble of cooking something for them).

Cool parents you have. :D

Reactions: Dropkick
Cool parents you have. :D
Thanks, I've been training them almost my entire life.

Today I felt like having comfort food, so I made some some spaghetti with a basic vegetable marinara. (Except for the lack of burger it's the way my Mom has always made it). Mushrooms, onion, celery, and carrot in tomato sauce seasoned with marjoram.

Last night, I couldn't decide between having dessert, or having a small, more nutritious meal. So, I made some frozen banana soft serve with coconut and lime, and served it on top of a small cooked sweet potato.

Reactions: Dropkick and Amy SF
I had a peach and a plum for breakfast at about 10 in the morning and then (except for grabbing a few of the grapes I had sitting in a colander in the kitchen sink) I didn't eat again until 3:30 A.M. in the night (or technically the next morning).
I over did it. I ate 3 fried tofu, onion, bell pepper and mushroom "burgers", along with 2 potatoes I sliced into 1/4 inch rounds and fried in olive oil with a seasoning of garlic powder and cayenne.
It was really good (my dog liked it too) but I still feel bloated even though it's an hour and a half after I ate.

It's not the last thing I ate, but at the farmer's market last Thursday, I bought some red currants and HUGE tangy blueberries. I had them with my oats for the next 3 days instead of the more usual apples or peach... nothing wrong with apples or peaches, but the change was nice. Other meals were usually my home-made chili with rice or bread on the side, with vegetables like my own home-grown sweet peppers or kale.

I made a meatless loaf. It was okay, but not great. I had it along with a salad. I think the leftovers may become part of burritos, or tacos.

1 cup rolled oats
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chickpeas, cooked, roughly mashed
---(I keep frozen cooked beans in my frig - a can is about 1 & 1/2 cups, but I freeze roughly 2 cup portions because I'm lazy and it's easier)
2 cups black beans, cooked, roughly mashed
1 package Lipton's beefy onion soup mix (with the name it's strange - but it's on PETA's veggie foods list)
Salt and pepper, to taste

I mixed it, formed it into a loaf and baked it for 30 minutes at 350F.
I didn't put tomato on top because I was allergic to tomato when I was little, my Mom didn't put it on her meatloaf, and because of that I didn't like the taste of it on meatloaf (in my pre vegetarian days) -though this isn't meatloaf and may have benefited from some ketchup.

Reactions: Tom L.
Worked out in the sun for the majority of the day today. Got very hot and somewhat dehydrated. Came inside (my parent's house) sat down and fell asleep. When I woke I didn't feel much like eating (overheating affects my appetite) and didn't have much energy. However my Mom made a macaroni salad just for me (my parents aren't vegetarian). The salad had elbow macaroni, celery, carrots, green onion, red onion, yellow bell pepper, broccoli, and cauliflower in a vinaigrette dressing. I felt better after eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.