What non veg foods do you miss the most? Do you have a sub?

Veggiemama

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lucky charms is a big one for me. Havent found a sub yet.

Rocky road ice cream. I freeze cool whip and mix that with chocolate ice cream and whatever nuts I have on hand

Shrimp
Lobster
Crab
Blackened grouper
Fish fry
Seafood salad Subway sandwiches....These are huge ones right now because I'm pregnant and crave seafood all the time

I'm also embarrassed to admit that I miss Big Macs. I know I could just order one without the meat but I've been boycotting Mcdeath since I became veg and found out they refuse to put a veggie burger on their menu. Their unwillingness to cater to vegetarians in any way, shape or form has royally ****** me off.

I'm also embarrassed to admit that I miss Big Macs. I know I could just order one without the meat but I've been boycotting Mcdeath since I became veg and found out they refuse to put a veggie burger on their menu. Their unwillingness to cater to vegetarians in any way, shape or form has royally ****** me off.

I've eaten a bean burger at McDonald's when I visited the UK. It's too bad they won't offer it in North America.

I miss lobster, shrimp and chicken the most.

No subs for the lobster and shrimp, but I eat Gardein chickn strips on a regular basis. Straight out of the package... :oops:

My grandmother used to make these really good tuna burgers, hot out of the oven. I should see if she still has the recipe and find out if I can make a veg*n version.

The only thing I miss is fish. Mock Tuna is an excellent replacement for tuna salad, and I actually like it better than I ever liked the real version.

No good subs for salmon or fried fish fillets, though. :(

Same here, only miss fish. Don't really miss any of the other dead animals. Actually fake cow and fake pig I can't even really eat. Probably because I had a pet cow and pet pig at my grandma's house. And because of some of the stuff I saw that kids probably shouldn't see.

As a general rule, I didn't even like seafood, but I think candied salmon is something that there will never be a good replacement for. Or smoked mussels. Other than that I've found a good substitute for almost everything I like.

Seafood too! I thought I was the only one.

Generally I don't miss anything but very occasionally I'll go through a phase where I really crave seafood. Not fish actually...but prawns & mussels.

Prawns were my favourite food ever.

Oh, that is weird because I sometimes really crave fish too, tuna and especially the type of battered fish I used to get from a UK chip shop. You can get a lovely vegan fishless version .... and now I'm craving that!

I still crave cheese too, someone needs to develop a realistic vegan Brie.:)

The only thing I've craved since going veg is sloppy Joes.
Do you like lentils? My mother in law makes homemade sloppy joes all the time and when we have them for a party I always have her make me an extra bowl of sauce on the side. I boil a batch of lentils with onions and green peppers, throw them in the sauce and make sloppy lentils. You just put 'em on a bun just like you would with regular sloppy joes. They're REALLY good!

The only thing I really miss is seafood. Fortunately, the mock tuna salad with chickpeas works well as a replacement for tuna. Although, I have yet to find anything that works for scallops, lobster, and salmon.

Silly weird things... Corn dogs, dried squid, jelly fish salad, Chinese style fish balls, Vietnamese beef noodle soup, Korean bbq, . Have found plenty to replace it though. And veg*n corn dogs are easy to make.

Do you like lentils? My mother in law makes homemade sloppy joes all the time and when we have them for a party I always have her make me an extra bowl of sauce on the side. I boil a batch of lentils with onions and green peppers, throw them in the sauce and make sloppy lentils. You just put 'em on a bun just like you would with regular sloppy joes. They're REALLY good!

It's been a long time since I made them, so I may have used lentils, I really don't remember.

For me, the base wasn't the problem, it was the sauce. I found a sauce recipe that came close, but ended up loosing it. Nothing I've tried since has had an "authentic" flavor. :confused:

Well, having been raised veggie, there isn't a whole lot to miss, but before I learned to read labels, I used to eat gummy candies. I miss gummy bears! :cry:

Also, for those saying they miss fish, don't you find it smells like cat food? Especially tuna. :p

Cheeseburgers
I do miss cheeseburgers, don't think anything can quite replace them but I do eat a lot of black bean burgers and quinoa/spinach burgers. That being said I don't think I could bring myself to eat one even if it was sitting in front of me.