What non veg foods do you miss the most? Do you have a sub?

I read that fresh fish should have very little odour.

There is a vegan tuna pate (by Redwood's I think) that I keep meaning to try.

I've found passable-good subs for all my cravings except:

- Sandwich meat. I have to put lots of sauces to drown out the flavour and enjoy the texture, but I never used to have condiments on real meat sandwiches. I would like one that actually tastes like real meat.

- Meringue. I miss Baked Alaska and Lemon Meringue Pie.

- Scrambled eggs. I like tofu scramble in its own right but it's nothing like eggs, even with black salt (yum).

Seafood too! I thought I was the only one.

Generally I don't miss anything but very occasionally I'll go through a phase where I really crave seafood. Not fish actually...but prawns & mussels.

Prawns were my favourite food ever.

I had the most realistic prawns from See Woo in Greenwich. Fry then in soy sauce or just in oil and they taste exactly like king prawns.

I don't miss anything, per say. Sometimes I see fish meals at work and they look good, but no strong urge to eat any meat.

I don't miss anything either really, except pizza with extra cheese. I don't like any of the vegan cheeses, and cheeseless pizza is not the same, even if it is good. I am glad from reading this thread they never managed to get me to eat any sea animals when I was little. I only ate tuna from a can, and I don't miss that.

marshmellows and the price of marshmellows....I buy and like Dandies and Sweet Sarahs but they dont have alot of variety and the price is really high.

peace, love and smiles:)

A bit random, but prawn crackers. I used to really like them and then I found out they had actual prawns in them (sounds stupid, but I had asked at a restaurant before and they told me it was just flavouring). I wish I had a substitute for them :drool:

It's been a long time since I made them, so I may have used lentils, I really don't remember.

For me, the base wasn't the problem, it was the sauce. I found a sauce recipe that came close, but ended up loosing it. Nothing I've tried since has had an "authentic" flavor. :confused:

If I remember correctly, the sloppy Joe sauce thgat comes in a jar (Not-So-Sloppy-Joes?) is vegan.

If I remember correctly, the sloppy Joe sauce thgat comes in a jar (Not-So-Sloppy-Joes?) is vegan.
It is vegan (or was a year or so ago.) I made sloppy joes with refried and small pink beans, sauteed onions, red peppers, tomato, mushrooms, and some potatoes I put in to cut the ridiculous saltiness of that sauce!

I'm also embarrassed to admit that I miss Big Macs. I know I could just order one without the meat but I've been boycotting Mcdeath since I became veg and found out they refuse to put a veggie burger on their menu. Their unwillingness to cater to vegetarians in any way, shape or form has royally ****** me off.

I'm glad they don't, actually... I hate giving them any kind of support, and if they had a veggie burger readily available, I'm sure I'd end up eating there from time to time. As it stands, not only do they not get a single cent out of me, but my friends eat there less too because there's nothing for me to eat, so we go somewhere slightly less evil.

A bit random, but prawn crackers. I used to really like them and then I found out they had actual prawns in them (sounds stupid, but I had asked at a restaurant before and they told me it was just flavouring). I wish I had a substitute for them :drool:

Vegan ones are possible, I've had them fairly often, you just have to find them. It may well be that the ones you had didn't have any actual prawn in when you asked. What part of England are you in?

Yes yes when I first went veggie I found prawn crackers in our cupboard that were completely accidentally vegan! Now if I could only remember which ones they were... I'll ask my mum later if she can remember. :)

Marshmallows also.

And creamed eggs on toast, something my dad made a lot. There is no substitute for that. :no: I just eat other things on toast instead.

Vegan ones are possible, I've had them fairly often, you just have to find them. It may well be that the ones you had didn't have any actual prawn in when you asked. What part of England are you in?[/quote]

The north east-there is asda, tesco and sainsburys where I live if that helps?

The north east-there is asda, tesco and sainsburys where I live if that helps?

I'm sure I found some in Tesco a while ago, but I rarely buy them from supermarkets. I'll look next time I'm in there (I've had zero luck on their website). The ones from my local chinese (which caters really well for us veg*ns, with "prawns" and "chicken" and "duck" dishes) are artificially flavoured - it might be worth asking around at a few of your local places, if takeaway is something you do often. If you ever go to a loving hut, they tend to do them - they're called 'crispy clouds' on the menu.

I read that fresh fish should have very little odour.

There is a vegan tuna pate (by Redwood's I think) that I keep meaning to try.

That's right - it smells nice. I used to eat a lot of fish and seafood.

The only fish that have a very strong odour are sardines and herrings.

Marshmallows also.

And creamed eggs on toast, something my dad made a lot. There is no substitute for that. :no: I just eat other things on toast instead.

Have you tried Dandies or Sweet & Sara's marshmallows?

As for the egg: there's also the VEGG.

Oh yeah, I get the dandies occasionally, they are just so small and expensive and delicate so they get smooshed... it's nice that they are there, if I need them. :)

Creamed eggs on toast is hardboiled eggs put into a roux, served over toast. Basically hard-boiled egg gravy. I could probably put tofu into a roux and a tiny bit of nooch and serve it over toast. :think: