What constitutes as 'meat'? what about 'milk'?

Thought this was an interesting article. :)
Let me know your thoughts, if any. Hope you are having a good day <3

Yeah. this is good stuff. We have actually talked about this on this forum several times. Usually in regard to some state or country winning or losing a lawsuit about labeling plant milks and/or fake meats. I think this was the last time we had a discussion on it.
https://veganforum.org/threads/vegan-cheesemonger.3641/#post-20926

I think the USDA already has a law about plant milks on the books but they don't enforce it and have to give like a 90 day notice if they choose to enforce it.

Personally, I don't give a ****. I don't think most vegans don't care that much either. It's not like the plant milk makers are trying to fool us into buying fake milk. We DO NOT want real milk.

I do like that the dictionary is on our side.

From Meriam Webster
Definition of milk
(Entry 1 of 4)

1a: a fluid secreted by the mammary glands of females for the nourishment of their young
b(1): milk from an animal and especially a cow used as food by people
(2): a food product produced from seeds or fruit that resembles and is used similarly to cow's milk
/ coconut milk
/soy milk
2: a liquid resembling milk in appearance: such as
a: the latex of a plant
b: the contents of an unripe kernel of grain
And again from Meriam Webster

meat
noun
\ ˈmēt \
Definition of meat

1a: FOODespecially : solid food as distinguished from drink
b: the edible part of something as distinguished from its covering (such as a husk or shell)
a. is pretty ******* open-ended.
b is referring to the meat of a walnut.

Colleen Patrick Goudeaux is sort of an amateur wordsmith and has written several essays on this.
Here is the first one I found
https://www.colleenpatrickgoudreau....-eat-meat-the-history-and-future-of-the-word/

Reactions: chickendminus
Also, what are your thoughts on lab grown or 'clean meat'? Here is a fantastic video. A question I thought was really interesting was: If we can do this with human meat would it still be unethical to eat it?

Also, what are your thoughts on lab grown or 'clean meat'? Here is a fantastic video. A question I thought was really interesting was: If we can do this with human meat would it still be unethical to eat it?

I have no idea. I'll leave that up to the philosophers.

I really can't conceive how lab-grown meat could be economical to produce. But who knows. I've been wrong in the prediction department so many times I try to avoid speculating. (Thank god I didn't put any money on Duke).

There is a restaurant, The Counter, that is a 5-minute walk from my front door. They have the Impossible burger. I did try the Impossible burger (version 1 AND 2). They also have their own signature vegan bean patty. I know the bean burger doesn't taste like a hamburger, but the bean burger tastes better to me (and it costs $4 less). However, I was just talking about the Impossible Whopper with a carnist friend of mine, Ernie. he had a coupon for the Counter (buy two meals for the price of one). He now wants to go over to the counter with me for an Impossible Burger. So score one for our side.

BTW, Ernie is my age. And the nicest guy you ever want to meet. He is overweight, diabetic and has high blood pressure. He is recovering from a knee replacement. He asked me to go to a sandwich shop and bring him a sandwich. I bought a vegetarian sandwich without cheese or mayo for me. He got a turkey and ham with double meat and cheese. I felt like I was putting the nails in his coffin.

I just watched the video. I wouldn't call the products that Just makes now "lab-grown". their eggs and mayo are made from plants that are grown in fields. Also, I don't think Just really understands "economical" or "affordable". Have you seen the price of their "egg"??
:)

I have no idea. I'll leave that up to the philosophers.

I really can't conceive how lab-grown meat could be economical to produce. But who knows. I've been wrong in the prediction department so many times I try to avoid speculating. (Thank god I didn't put any money on Duke).

There is a restaurant, The Counter, that is a 5-minute walk from my front door. They have the Impossible burger. I did try the Impossible burger (version 1 AND 2). They also have their own signature vegan bean patty. I know the bean burger doesn't taste like a hamburger, but the bean burger tastes better to me (and it costs $4 less). However, I was just talking about the Impossible Whopper with a carnist friend of mine, Ernie. he had a coupon for the Counter (buy two meals for the price of one). He now wants to go over to the counter with me for an Impossible Burger. So score one for our side.

BTW, Ernie is my age. And the nicest guy you ever want to meet. He is overweight, diabetic and has high blood pressure. He is recovering from a knee replacement. He asked me to go to a sandwich shop and bring him a sandwich. I bought a vegetarian sandwich without cheese or mayo for me. He got a turkey and ham with double meat and cheese. I felt like I was putting the nails in his coffin.
That makes me so sad. There are days when I'm in the mood where if someone asks me to pick up some food for them I am happy to pick up something healthy but refuse to pick up junk for them saying "I would never do that to you because I like you." That's just the way i am sometimes, all "mean" like that ;)

That makes me so sad. There are days when I'm in the mood where if someone asks me to pick up some food for them I am happy to pick up something healthy but refuse to pick up junk for them saying "I would never do that to you because I like you." That's just the way i am sometimes, all "mean" like that ;)

I totally get that. In fact, as I was making the sandwich order I was thinking that maybe I could get him something healthy instead. And maybe I would have it he wasn't recuperating. However, as a rule, I don't enforce my beliefs on people. Although i draw that line at bringing meat home and cooking it for someone.

I try to explain and convince as often as I can get away with.

I think Ernie is more typical than exceptional. And I realize that almost everyone disconnects the part of the brain that does morality when they sit down to a canrist meal. But how can someone so unhealthy still eat that **** when they are literally killing themselves with it?

It's gross and unhealthy and I won't eat it. Whether or not it's ethical depends on how it was made...if animals were exploited in any way, ie stem cells, that's not right. A big improvement over slaughter, but still abusing our power over animals for pleasure.

Human meat might be more ethical...humans can consent.

This reminds me of something going on in the area I am living in. Senator King of Mane, USA want to make it so that plant milks cannot be called milk in the state, due to the dairy industry here being in a major slump. I guess he thinks that people are buying almond milk by accident? (lol) Rather ridiculous, as even peasants back in Shakespeare's day drank Almond milk and called it as such.

This reminds me of something going on in the area I am living in. Senator King of Mane, USA want to make it so that plant milks cannot be called milk in the state, due to the dairy industry here being in a major slump. I guess he thinks that people are buying almond milk by accident? (lol) Rather ridiculous, as even peasants back in Shakespeare's day drank Almond milk and called it as such.

What I hate, hate, hate (grrr) about this is that it goes against the simplest definition of free speech. How dare these people dictate what I call the soy milk I drink! I hate that we live in a world where the factory farm industry, not the dictionary, determines what something is called. I hate that Canada and the EU have already changed the meaning of “milk”, and I don’t want the country I live in to do the same.