What can you walk to?

Poppy

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What is within walking distance of where you live or work? Do you get out and walk when you have to run errands, or do you have to drive? I now live within city limits, so I can finally walk to a few places. I can walk to two drugstores, a coffee shop (with vegan chocolates!), an Italian restaurant, a Mexican restaurant, an Irish pub, a library, a cleaners, two parks, an art gallery, two consignment shops, two churches, a farmers market on Saturdays, and a river. Now, if it would only stay warm enough for me to want to walk! :p

I can walk into my town which is very small but has a few supermarkets, multiple coffee shops, a clothes shop & all the usual banks & independent shops etc etc. & when in the town where I work...more of the same really! Both have libraries & post offices & all that kinda stuff.
Also the town I work in has many restaurants & bars - it's the areas nightlife town.

I live very close to a big park which is nice :)

Reactions: KLS52
I can walk to my supermarket (but I can carry only so much), and a big plaza with several fast-food places, a Kmart, a bar and a Chinese restaurant. It's about a 2-mile walk. My bank, the Dunkin Donuts and a drugstore are about a mile a way, so I can walk to them. I can also walk to a big-box hardware store.
Where I work, I have to drive. Our complex is pretty big, and it's not close to anything but a diner.

I think "walking distance" is relative. It depends on how far anything is to one's home and whether one is willing and/or able to walk that distance.

That said, I live in an area that is both residential and commercial, so there are a lot of businesses I can walk to if I have the strength and willingness. Supermarkets, grocery stores, restaurants, the bank, my doctor's office, a movie theater even, coffee shops in every direction, the post office, the drugstore, etc.

I can walk to three different gas stations and used car dealerships, a NAPA auto parts store, an auto repair shop, a local pizza place, a Subway, a church of some religious affiliation, and a barber shop.

I can also walk to California and back to raise awareness for any cause if properly sponsored.

Last edited:
I live in a rural area so there really isn't anything nearby. The closest thing to me is a bar which is about a 20 minute walk, but I don't drink. The next closest thing is the post office, about a 45 minute walk along the side of a major highway known as Blood Alley and Deathtrap Highway. It's very stressful driving on it, I couldn't imagine walking alongside it. It's known as one of the seven most dangerous highways in America. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4F8xb4JKK8

The other direction (along another major highway, but not nearly as dangerous) is the market, about an hour walk.

We have a huge problem with people dumping dogs here, or just letting them roam loose. They end up in dangerous packs, so no one really does much walking around here. When they do, they are always carrying a large stick or other weapon. Every few days we hear about someone getting attacked, or someones pet getting killed by the dogs.

Reactions: Poppy
There are two nature preserves within 1 km of where I live. One is private but the other is public and looks like this:

ls.jpg

Also, a 7-11, Cafe Yumm, a sushi place, Indian restaurant, Subway, K-Mart and two bars. I really don't need to drive on weekends if I don't feel like it.

Reactions: KLS52
I live in walking distance (1 - 1 1/2 miles) of a pizzaria, several delis, gas station/mini mart, restaurant, church, lake. I have never walked to any of these places due to there being no sidewalks and the road being very winding/hilly. I think I could totally handle the no sidewalks if the road were flatter/safer.

I like where I grew up. I walked everywhere...stores, banks, school, church, parks, libraries, town hall, Rec center... It was great.

Reactions: PTree15
Other than the thrift store, here's nothing but gas stations, fast food, liquor stores, and a rite-aid that is less than a half-hour walk. At that point though, there's a Target, a dollar tree and a two grocery stores. Then there's another big gap before places worth visiting. Of course, I ride my bike, and before I did that, I walked.

I live off a main street in my city so I live close to a lot of places. Fast food places, pizzerias, bakeries, car repair shops, etc. I also live around the block from the fire department which is a blessing and a curse.

I live in walking distance (1 - 1 1/2 miles) of a pizzaria, several delis, gas station/mini mart, restaurant, church, lake. I have never walked to any of these places due to there being no sidewalks and the road being very winding/hilly. I think I could totally handle the no sidewalks if the road were flatter/safer.

I like where I grew up. I walked everywhere...stores, banks, school, church, parks, libraries, town hall, Rec center... It was great.

Do they smell? The biggest one here reeks. I can't stand to be anywhere near it. Luckily it's not that close to me, but it's across the street from a gas station I sometimes go to. I can smell it from across the street. It's worse in the summer. The stench of raw meat and cheese just lingers in the air. :yuck:
I used to live around the corner from a huge cookie and doughnut factory. Every morning you could smell the cookie and doughnuts baking.

I live in walking distance to a lot of different shops, except annoyingly a health food shop and a cinema which I would like to be near. I have supermarkets, post offices, medical centres, betting shops, fast food shops, furniture stores, chemists, hairdressers, clothes shops and tattoo parlours about 15 minutes walk from my house. I hardly ever use any of them as I mostly shop online. :p My vet and the local hospital are about 15 minutes drive by car.

We have a huge problem with people dumping dogs here, or just letting them roam loose. They end up in dangerous packs, so no one really does much walking around here. When they do, they are always carrying a large stick or other weapon. Every few days we hear about someone getting attacked, or someones pet getting killed by the dogs.

That sounds awful!:(

Since I moved I am now within walking distance of lots of places. I can SEE the Dunkin' Donuts out my window! There are several other fast food places; Wendy's, KFC, Taco Bell, Captain D's, and a BBQ Place. There are several other businesses as well. I can walk to the Farmer's Market/Flea Market which is really cool. There is also a Dollar General within a mile or so. If I was REALLY ambitious, I could walk all the way downtown but it is several miles.

I live in Chicago, by a few main streets, so lots of places. I don't go to most, though.
The places I walk to are Gamestop, Foodsmart, Chicago Diner, Logan Square theater, thrift store, smoke shop, Walgreens, Family Dollar, ice cream store (sells vegan ice cream) and the farmer's market. Post office isn't too far, either.
Other than that, got restaurants, clothing stores, shoe stores, furniture store, schools, a megamall (not a *real* mall), fast food (yuck), health center, foot center, dialysis, dentist, a park, a place to buy cheap computers, laptops and parts (Linux so no thanks), grooming store for cats and dogs, churches (I'm atheist tho), a vet (I don't think they see exotics :I), a library, hair salons, banks, bars, the blue line, Home Depot, coffee shops, internet cafes, laundromats, 7-11, ethnic grocery stores, t mobile, boost mobile, clear, a really gross pet store (poor animals :(), jewelry store, stores to get your taxes done, all in walking distance. There's more, but I'm not naming everything. If it doesn't take more than 40 minutes to walk there, that's within walking distance to me :p If it takes longer, well that's what buses exist for.
Walked to Trader Joe's, Pet supplies plus and Jewel before, but it was a pain in the ***.

Last edited:
I figure 30 minutes or I'm riding a bicycle or driving. Within my half hour, I can walk to Whole Foods ( :) ) a good Thai restaurant, a not so good Chinese restsurant, the yoga place, the ymca, a new vegan smoothie place, walgreens, a bar (too smoky), a dry cleaners (never use them), and a convenience store.

I can walk to Lidl's, various medical centres, the post office, 2 bakeries, a newsagents, a chemist, the town hall, 3 banks and a few restaurants that are open only at lunch time.

The closest Whole Foods or health food store is about 35 miles from me. Used to be a supermarket that carried some whole foods within walking distance but it closed several years ago. Sucks. It's been replaced by a chain store that I don't shop at because I dislike them. Next closest store (see above).
I have a hardware store, drugstore, library, post office, and Subway sandwich shop within walking distance (I like the veggie sub). Everything else I drive for.

No much walking distance for me. A very small strip type mall with a pizza place, convenience store (lots of liquor) and a coffee place is about it.

Agree that walking distance is individual to each person. I get a lot of anxiety and fear when walking. Feel very unsafe. Since I don't plan to have a car some day, I'll need to work on flipping getting over that somehow.

From home I can walk to at least two playgrounds of reasonable standard, the medical centre with our GPs, a strip mall with a grocery store, a Chinese take-away with vegan options, a chemist, a liquor store, and a pub. I can also walk to a small railway station, although it would probably make more sense to take my bicycle, as it's a long walk.

From work I can walk on a small mound and on a field, all in generally rural surroundings, but not nearly as rural as I would wish. Too much stupid traffic, cars everywhere, funking up my rural, fresh air.

Reactions: thefadedone