Meal Planning

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
One strange personal side effect of my self isolating is my shopping and eating habits.

I used to go to the grocery store two or three times a week. Just short trips. And I have two stores within walking distance. so I only bought the stuff I needed right away. Not much planning more than a day or two ahead and very little waste.

Now I do curbside pickup just once a week. So I have to do more planning. Not only do I have to plan my meals up to a week ahead of time but I also have to keep to my plan to reduce or even eliminate food going bad.

the supermarket is cheaper than the little markets I used to go to. so I'm saving money. I'm also spending nothing on restaurants and take-out too.

I also think that the conscious effort into planning the meals, making the shop list, cooking, and eating meals on a schedule makes for a healthier diet.

What kind of meal planning do you guys do? Any tips or tricks?

Reactions: Emma JC
I think your way is a great way and we do not do that so much as we have certain meals on certain days and the rest is up in the air and decided on how we feel at the time. Having a freezer has made the need for planning less necessary and also have the outside act as a refrigernator helps also as I have lots of root veggies (potatoes, carrots, squash, rutabaga, turnip) etc outside in a cooler and only bring it in if is going to be below freezing overnight.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
My freezer is so full. I pretty much have to finish something in it before I buy its replacement.
My frig is pretty full, too. but I don't go grocery shopping till I'm out of at least a few things.
I have reorganized my cupboards several times since June and I will do it again soon. Trying to make room for more stuff.

Also since I'm just cooking for one, I'm always having to store "extras" in the freezer or the frig. The meal planning really helps me with eating the stuff that IS in the frig before it goes bad.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I try to make sure I have my proteins made for the week (seitan, black bean burgers, tofu, etc.), and I plan my meals around them with various veggies and starches. I, too, have reduced my shopping trips, so I sometimes lack fresh veggies. I have plenty of canned and frozen, though, so I'm working through those at the moment.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I try to make sure I have my proteins made for the week (seitan, black bean burgers, tofu, etc.), and I plan my meals around them with various veggies and starches. I, too, have reduced my shopping trips, so I sometimes lack fresh veggies. I have plenty of canned and frozen, though, so I'm working through those at the moment.
I make the recipes that require fresh veggies closer to the day I go grocery shopping. but I have been pleasantly surprised on how long fresh veggies actually last. I thought it was less time than it is in actuality.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I'd think about this more later in my week off, as I am still in eating what I want mode.
I know if I make beans,grains, and potatoes in the IP it makes it easy to combine things during the week. I can throw some beans in the blender with some broth and make a soup with frozen veggies. Add sauce for bowls to bring to work lunch. Grains and fruit for breakfasts. Have some bread or tortillas for bean dip and veg. Make a seitan every couple weeks

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15