Where do you shop for food?

Poppy

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Someone in another thread recently stated that they found Just Mayo in small jars in a dollar store. I was so surprised! I don't go into dollar stores, assuming they are full of horrid seasonal decorations and gobs of kitchen do-dads :p, and those things (being somewhat of a minimalist :rolleyes:) scare me to death! But that comment did make me wonder - what am I missing since I don't shop very many places?

I generally start my shopping list at Ellwood Thompson's (Ellwood Thompson's.), seven minutes from my house, driving. Whatever they don't carry or have in stock, I can usually find across the parking lot at Martin's (which has been bought by Publix and will be renovated this summer). It is extremely rare that I have to make a third stop at Fresh Market or Kroger, but they are there within walking distance if I need them. That's really it. Once a quarter or so, I drive the 20 minutes to Whole Foods and Trader Joes, but they are not on my regular shopping rounds. In the warmer months, I walk to a huge Farmer's Market on Saturdays, but find I don't buy much more than tomatoes, flowers, and my favorite vegan pesto - it's more social than serious shopping for me. I really don't like having to make more than a stop or two. (I even buy all my beauty products at Ellwood Thompson or WF, just so I don't have to make another stop and I know they carry vegan/cruelty free brands!)

So where do you shop for vegan products? Where are your secret finds??? What are your priorities - price, distance, variety or knowing the store will likely have everything you need in one stop? Do you shop sales, with coupons, or stock up during deals? Do you end up buying more stuff if you have coupons/deals than you would without? When a new store comes to town (in my case, Aldi) do you try it out? (No. :rolleyes:)

I shop at a variety of places including dollar stores. There is a Dollar General just around the corner from us and I go there frequently for basics like paper towels, cat food, cat litter and toilet paper. They also carry "accidentally vegan" beauty products. There are some food items that you can get if you need them like flour and sugar. The Dollar Tree has cheap frozen fruit and vegetables and is close by also. My main store for groceries is Publix which is conveniently located only a couple miles down the road by TJ Maxx. I like going to the Farmer's Market downtown on Friday evenings for local organic produce and sometimes bread from the bread man. (homemade sourdough) A new produce stand opened down the road that we like a lot so we have been going there as well for produce. I pay attention to prices and shop the ads for the deals. We sometimes go to WalMart even though I hate them just because the prices are lower.
I would go to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Aldi's if there were any near by. I like checking out new stores. A Walmart Market is going to be built only a couple blocks down the road and I am excited about that. We visited one in DeBary which is a few miles away and it was really nice.

Reactions: Poppy
I am now a fan of Dollar Store. I haven't investigated it fully, but I got 10 oz. bags of blueberries for a buck each along with some vegan spring rolls and some crunchy snacks. I plan to check it out for other staples like dried beans and rice. I also shop at Stop and Shop, Price Chopper, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. My priorities are mostly price and/or availability of vegan products. I buy mostly 365 brand at WF because those products are generally cheaper than other WF inventory. I do like WF for some bulk foods (I miss Giant stores in PA. They had everything in bulk and for much cheaper than WF). I tend to do frequent smaller shopping trips because I am lazy and have to carry my groceries up two flights of stairs and a long hallway, haha. But if something good is on sale, I will stock up. I use coupons as well. I have ordered things like vital wheat gluten from Amazon when I can't find them in the stores. I've also shopped at Vegan Essentials online when I can't find some things I want at any of the other stores. I like supporting vegan retailers when I can. I also buy organic veggies in the summer from my friend, who has a small farm.

I guess aldi are very different, but I strongly suggest checking out yours! I find-
Simply Nature and Simply Organic quinoa $2.99 a pound, seasoned same price, 12 oz. Lots of different grains. Plain peanut butter. organic baby kale, arugula, spinach, mixed greens. Fair trade coffees, whole bean or ground, $3.99 ground, $4.99 whole bean. Moser Roth dark chocolates- vegan also orange almond, mint, and chili--sometimes they get fair trade chocolates. Organic pasta-white and whole wheat. Gluten free stuff I can't comment on, but sells well, Fair trade bananas. Produce deeply discounted on sales. Frozen veggies and fruit what trader joes get- a lot in common with tj's. Their Benton Chocolate chip cookies are vegan (mine are at least) and pretty good for a packaged cookie. Organic blue corn torilla chips.Fat free whole wheat tortillas. All kinds of salsa organic or not. Organic coconut oil, apple cider vinegar with mother, guacamole, almond milk-unsweetened, plain sweetened, vanilla. Soy milk plain sweet, or vanilla. Coconut milk. Love their pasta sauce- I just get the .99 cent garlic and basil or traditional. They have good organic sauces too. Jasmine rice. Sometimes Fit and Active brown rice which I'm waiting for to stock up on. Their paper products are similair to what they look like and priced right.
They're a store you have to get familiar with to fully appreciate. I love the simplicity of it, the limited selection, that I don't need to look at meats- or smell them.The employees have been long term and compensated better than average- they switch stocking and cashering, and sit on stools when cashering. Carts are corralled, lines are always speedy. You bring your bags
They have some really great special products too. I've had my Nutribullet knock off for a couple years I got for $30.- the 900 watt one. I get my water pitcher filters there, If they get a large stock they go on sale as low at $3.99 for a 3 pack and fit Brita pitchers. My big colander, my ceramic 12 inch pan.

Reactions: PTree15
We order some things online too like the wheat gluten which is way too expensive in the local stores. I like supporting the vendors at the Farmer's Market and the produce stand because they are "real" people.

You know amazon still has Bobs gluten 4 packs for $13.67? I would have thought they'd have changed it by now!
Do you guys know Trader Joes now has their brand of nooch? :yes: It lists all the nutrition info, which so many lack. Good amount of B12 compared to others

Reactions: Poppy and PTree15
I have to check on Aldi. I wasn't impressed with the one that is near my parents' house in R.I. I'm not even sure where the closest one is in my neck of the woods. Will have to investigate.

I hated them the first times I went. I don't know if they've changed that much, or if the ones be me are better, but I go there for most staples. Dry black beans pinto great northern lentils sometimes garbanzo at great prices and fresh. It may be my area. Lots of organic stuff
They have soy burgers now that I like. they taste weirdly like grilled hot dogs to me :confused: Not something I'd regularly buy though...

then of course the Asian groceries.
Baby bok choy, ginger, tofu, vegetable dumplings, soy beans, miso, seaweed snacks, those purple yams, curry paste, fresh noodles, dried mushrooms

Trader Joes
tempeh $1.99
Tofurky Italian sausage $3.49
Extra firm tofu $1.99
soy chorizo ?
lite coconut milk
raw cashews
Meatless meatballs
Vegan mozzerella for enchiladas but not much else
Midsummer night body lotion
Ginger almond oatmeal soap

Baby bok choy, ginger, tofu, vegetable dumplings, soy beans, miso, seaweed snacks, those purple yams, curry paste, fresh noodles, dried mushrooms

My Asian grocery has the cheapest citrus, veggies & tofu around. And it has lots of surprising vegan candy (sesame brittle, anyone? candied ginger strands?). It's just not on my radar. So until I run out of Hoison or Spring Roll sauce, I don't think to go there.

Reactions: PTree15
I miss the Asian store I used to frequent in PA. It was awesome. I haven't found an equivalent up my way. Maybe the town I'm moving to will have more options.

Pretty much just Kroger. And I get my bulk nutritional yeast from Discount Health Foods. The Chao cheese is currently only available at two locations "close" to me... one's about 15-20 minutes away, the other is 45-50 minutes away. LOL

Reactions: Val
Attention Kroger shoppers! Don't forget to check the site every day for their 25 Merry Days promo.... And anything you can't use, donate! :up:

I get most of my food from the usual supermarkets but it is cheaper to buy tofu in the oriental store. I get my rice and spices from the Indian shop and occasionally, when I have enough money, I take a trip to The Happy Vegan - a shop about the size of a local convenience store that sells only vegan foods.

Tops
Shop Rite
DeCiccos
Trader Joe’s
Whole Foods

Ridiculous that I have to shop five stores to get the stuff I need (want). Obviously, I could make do if I had to but since I’m still working full time, I’m going to enjoy my specialty vegan items while I can. :)

In descending order of regularity:

Trader Joe’s
Vons
Ralphs
Sprouts
Target

I’ve also on occasion bought food at the following:

Walmart
Amazon
Vitacost
Erewhon

I used to shop at Whole Foods a lot because there was one right up the street in my old neighborhood, but where I live now, the nearest one is too far away, and I don’t have to go there for items I can get elsewhere. I live in assisted living now, and food is provided, but I’m the only vegetarian resident here, and they’re not very veg-friendly, plus the food isn’t that great anyway, so I have to supplement with my own food. Just last night, the two entree choices were chicken stew and spaghetti with meat sauce. I had just shopped at Trader Joe’s yesterday morning, so my dinner was a veggie wrap (from TJ’s) and fresh fruit (which they provided). The veggie wraps come two in a box, so I’ll eat the second one today. I’m pretty sure I’ll have to. :rolleyes: