What can we do to retain and engage members?

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
Well it appears VV has become a retirement home. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though as there are plenty of people left from the other board who can join us. And for the most part, this board is doing a really good job at being what it is.

But I've noticed that we get people to join, they hang around for a couple days and then we don't hear from them again.

So how can we engage people so that they'll stay? In particular, how do we engage men, as we are a rare commodity at VV...

if a forum becomes hyper busy, eg 200 posts/minute, then people don't like that. Unfortunately the forum exists in quantum state where there are no posts, and as much as200posts/min at the same time, and as people don't like it busy they don't join..the busy universes collapse leaving the less busy and most forums only have a trickle of new members....that and we are not very high on the google list.

I think we should employ an Asian factory of spammers to post links here.:pinkelephant:

One idea I had, which I posted and then deleted was to have an area where omnies could post and argue with veggies....then they might post links here and draw in more people, but then they might trash the place, and leave cigarette ends everywhere.....

if a forum becomes hyper busy, eg 200 posts/minute, then people don't like that. Unfortunately the forum exists in quantum state where there are no posts, and as much as200posts/min at the same time, and as people don't like it busy they don't join..the busy universes collapse leaving the less busy and most forums only have a trickle of new members....that and we are not very high on the google list.

I think we should employ an Asian factory of spammers to post links here.:pinkelephant:

One idea I had, which I posted and then deleted was to have an area where omnies could post and argue with veggies....then they might post links here and draw in more people, but then they might trash the place, and leave cigarette ends everywhere.....

Personally I would not want Omnis to join.

Also, I think a busy board attracts more people, it doesn't turn them away. IMO, posting to a quiet or inactive board is the offline equivalent of talking to an empty room.

:D

Back to the OP... every forum is like that, the majority of people who sign up never post, and of the percentage who make introductions only about half become regular members. I don't think much can be done about it without us coming off super creepy and OTT.

IMO the focus needs to be on getting new members. The more people that join, the more will stay. Is there any advertising going on at all? Climbing on google is a good thing but it doesn't seem to be helping a lot so far?

I don't know what we can do to make people stay because I have no idea why they left in the first place. It sucks. I miss all the posters that are now MIA.

:D

Back to the OP... every forum is like that, the majority of people who sign up never post, and of the percentage who make introductions only about half become regular members. I don't think much can be done about it without us coming off super creepy and OTT.

But most people who join aren't really new. They are familiar with the "culture" from the other board, and why would they join if they didn't want to be engaged?

I think part of the "problem" with this forum is that I know a lot of the views that the members hold already and also a lot of us share the same opinions on issues like abortion etc... so there isn't much debate.:D

Yeah, I think it's crucial to get non-VB members here. We've all done the same topics over and over, what do any of us have to ask about veg*nism anymore?

And we need more threads in the meantime so when people join, they can post. That'll probably be up to the mods and stewards.

Reactions: Second Summer
I think part of the "problem" with this forum is that I know a lot of the views that the members hold already and also a lot of us share the same opinions on issues like abortion etc... so there isn't much debate.:D

That's true, but there are at least two people here with centrist views that choose to keep quite because they don't want to deal with the "pile on".
And of course, it's not easy to find conservative vegetarians.

That's true, but there are at least two people here with centrist views that choose to keep quite because they don't want to deal with the "pile on".
And of course, it's not easy to find conservative vegetarians.
I have different views on lots of things discussed here, but I learned on the other forum how horrible the "pile on" can be, so I just keep them to myself and talk about fake cheese and smoothies.