What are you listening to right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the hobbies of my adult life is examining popular culture of my childhood, because I find it so entrancing. I am very typical of a person who enjoys the music of my youth, except for the extremity of my youth. I like music from being a gleam in my daddy's eye through age four, approximately. Ok, that's an exaggeration but you'd think it if I start talking to you about 80s music.

A fascinating point is "girl groups." Girl groups strangely failed to exist as long as boy bands. Boy bands outlived the phenomenon of girl groups in the 1940s + (my grandpa loved the Andrews Sisters! So I know!) ...Lana Del Rey, my dear one, my soul mate, my karma friend, has added girls intentionally to her shows to replicate a "girl group." Because she thinks like me. But I think Expose might have been the last real "girl group."

Do any older people here have an argument against this? I actually know there was Destiny's Child in the 90s//early 00s, but they were ALL BLACK. Was there an interracial group after Expose? Please enlighten me. I'm not challenging.

Ederlezi is a religious song. There are many amazing versions of it on the Internet. Maybe some of you know Bregovic's interpretation. It's in a famous movie you may have seen.

Reactions: Second Summer
Do any older people here have an argument against this? I actually know there was Destiny's Child in the 90s//early 00s, but they were ALL BLACK. Was there an interracial group after Expose? Please enlighten me. I'm not challenging.

How about the Spice Girls?

Reactions: Forest Nymph
How about the Spice Girls?

Yeah good job! I wasn't quite myself at the time I made this post (just as a disclaimer!) BUT I do think Spice Girls are a good answer. However, they don't have that exact experience of being a "girl group" in terms of back up vocals. I think that's where I was going with Expose?
Because there are very current groups like Girls Generation that are all Korean (thus my reference to Destiny's Child being all African American) who technically fit the bill. But Expose actually did those awesome back up vocals, and you'll hear/see them on the more recent Lana Del Rey albums/shows.

I do love Girls Generation. Especially this one!

Reactions: Lou
I feel like this is more genuine Black music than girl groups. I feel there's an exploitative concept to the idea if you're not intentionally supporting it. I express myself so badly sometimes. I hope you get what I mean.

I just remember African-Americans being creative, original people in my childhood. In fact so much of my childhood in the 80s defies this. That's not a mistake. As a young girl I remember them being more than girl or boy groups or even rap singers. They were alternative singers too. Just like whites.

One of my favorites. I always find them a real picker-upper.

Reactions: Lou
First some nostalgia....

....then a bunch of lovesongs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PTree15
Neil Young 1997 concert

Now that Neil Young is married to Daryl Hannah, I hope he's improved his diet. All that extra weight can't be good for the guy's joints.

• Love
Reactions: Val and PTree15
Oho! You are going to Opeth's concert again? That is exciting! 🥳 Congrats!:clap:💐
Thank you! Yes, they are coming back to my area again. I am very excited! It's a week from Monday. :)

Reactions: Val
Status
Not open for further replies.