What are You Having For (Vegetarian) Lunch/Dinner/Snack? 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`m having yesterday`s leftovers and will be adding fresh sweetcorn to the forbidden/brown rice salad. I ` also having
a Gardein turky escalope together with a baby spinach, strawberry and pecan salad on the side.

Brown rice with mushrooms, onion, and garlic, seasoned with a little soy sauce, and a side salad with mixed lettuce, carrot, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower.

I made this awesome roasted veggie tart recipe I found on Global Vegetarian:

ROASTED VEGETABLES
1 medium onion, cut into small chunks
3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium beets, peeled and cubed (pink or yellow to prevent red colour)
1 kohlrabi, peeled and cubed
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 zucchini, sliced thin
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1 Tbs dried herb seasoning olive oil
salt and pepper

It's a great recipe that's got lots of flavor, and even though it takes some time to put together it's really worth it in the end.

I've just started following a vegetarian lifestyle and love it! You guys all had such great suggestions for meals and other little bits.

I'm having trouble posting. Had to quote and then edit in order to get to somewhere I could actually type in my post.
Anyway......

Today I put down a layer of crushed corn chips (these are "homemade" at my local store and were starting to get stale - still good but needed to be used) on top of this I put a layer of 1/2 inch cubes of extra firm tofu and sliced celery (the tofu had been frozen and then thawed -this effects the texture - makes it firmer and with more of a "grain"). I covered this layer with a mix of 1 large diced tomato, a can of chopped chili peppers, and a diced large onion. I then put on another layer of crushed corn chips. I topped this with some homemade enchilada sauce (recipe below) and baked it for 1/2 an hour at 350F.

While the above was baking I took a 1/4 cup of water, a diced onion, 3 diced cloves of garlic, and 2 cups of frozen black beans (I had cooked the beans and frozen them at an earlier date) I brought all this to a boil. As soon as the onion was soft and the water had cooked down enough for it to become thick I added 1 tablespoon of black pepper and mashed everything with a potato masher.

I also sliced a half of a head of lettuce.

I ate the casserole on top of the lettuce with the refried beans on the side.

Enchilada sauce:
Measures are approximate as I don't actually measure (should be fairly close to what I used though) -you can change it to suit your own taste

3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder (garlic and onion powder can be replaced by finely diced onion and garlic)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
salt to taste
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
dash vegetable oil

Mix all and simmer till thickened

Last edited:
That sounds impressive, DK!

Did you say before that you used to be a chef or something like that? At least that would explain a few things!

Yes I'm a school trained cook.
I don't call myself a chef (though that was my title in a few of my jobs) because I never got certified.
In the beginning of my cooking career, I didn't have much money so I didn't join the American Culinary Federation or ACF (the group who certifies chefs) Later I didn't want the bother of having to go through all the hurdles I'd already passed in order to do it. Plus many of the requirements to certification would have been difficult to meet outside of a school setting.

Reactions: Second Summer
Today I had a non vegan sandwich (I'm occasionally ovo/lacto).
I had a guitar/music theory class this evening and along with other things going on I was in a hurry to make a bag lunch so I'd have some form of dinner, so I quickly fried up a bunch of mushrooms in some olive oil, sprinkled on some ground black pepper, and broke an egg on top to hold it together. I threw the resulting patty in a burger bun, put it in a bag along with a handful of potato chips, and an orange. Out the door I went.

Today I had a non vegan sandwich (I'm occasionally ovo/lacto).
I had a guitar/music theory class this evening and along with other things going on I was in a hurry to make a bag lunch so I'd have some form of dinner, so I quickly fried up a bunch of mushrooms in some olive oil, sprinkled on some ground black pepper, and broke an egg on top to hold it together. I threw the resulting patty in a burger bun, put it in a bag along with a handful of potato chips, and an orange. Out the door I went.

That sounds delicious.

Had another adult ed class today (guitar/music theory) and once again I didn't plan my time very well and was rushed in making my dinner.
I had some refried beans I had cooked earlier planning to make burritos. I took some of the cold bean mash and plopped it on a burger bun. I topped it with some broccoli and radish sprouts.
It was actually pretty good.

Excised from a previous post (if you're interested on how I did the beans):

While the above was baking I took a 1/4 cup of water, a diced onion, 3 diced cloves of garlic, and 2 cups of frozen black beans (I had cooked the beans and frozen them at an earlier date) I brought all this to a boil. As soon as the onion was soft and the water had cooked down enough for it to become thick I added 1 tablespoon of black pepper and mashed everything with a potato masher.

-This time I actually used 4 cups of black beans and 2 cups of chickpeas (all the beans I had frozen) as I wanted more refried end product. I also added more onion, garlic and pepper, plus I threw in some homemade veggie stock (also frozen) instead of adding any water.

-Now I feel like I have to tell you how I make veggie stock.
My veggie stock is made out of any vegetable "waste" I might have. I save everything raw vegetable related that I would otherwise throw into the compost and freeze it. All my outside lettuce and cabbage leaves, ends off of carrots, celery, green onion etc., skins of onions, broccoli stems (that I don't use), cauliflower and cabbage middles, any veggies that are beginning to wilt that I'm not going to eat right away, potato peels, any thing at all.
A week or so before I'm going to make it, I start eating just the caps of mushrooms and freezing the stems. (Usually I eat the whole mushroom). I eat quite a few mushrooms, so usually I can build up a fair stock of stems in a bit over a week. (Without the mushroom stems I feel my stock isn't robust enough for most of my uses).
Then I dump the whole mess in a stock pot and simmer it for around 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Afterward simmering I let it cool and steep for a short while before I strain it through a china cap or colander (I'm not bothered by any pieces that might be small enough to travel through the colander, so I don't use a cloth or paper filter).
I either freeze it or use it within a few days after making it, so I'm not sure how long it would last refrigerated.
-I am thinking of canning some of it so I'll have a stock of stock I don't have to refrigerate.

Reactions: KLS52
Today I mashed 3 cups of chickpeas. To the chickpeas I added the following: a small dice (1/4 inch cubes) of 2 stalks celery, 1/2 a yellow bell pepper, and a medium sized red onion. A mince of 2 large cloves of garlic. About 1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper and a 1/2 tsp of MSG (a much maligned spice - healthier than salt - unless you're allergic, which extremely few people are). To get the texture and moisture content right I crushed and added a couple pieces of left over corn bread and 2 slices of dry sour dough bread. I mixed this all together well, and formed 8 good sized patties which I put on an pre-oiled sheet pan (olive oil).

I baked them in a preheated 425F oven for 20 minutes.
After ten minutes I turned them and also the contents of the other sheet pan that I'd put in the oven at the same time (sweet potato fries).

While they were baking I browned a couple of burger buns with olive oil, and thin sliced and fried a bunch of button mushrooms to top the patties with.

I only ate one of the patties as it filled me up. It was very good.
I'll rewarm and eat the rest at another time.

Reactions: Tom L.
Didn't feel much like cooking today. Yet for some reason I didn't feel like leftovers.

I found an inexpensive bottle of General Tso's sauce in my cupboard (don't remember the brand off hand). I bought it quite awhile back with the vague notion of using it in a stir fry when I was camping (easy meal) and also seeing how it tasted.
I also found a partial bag of frozen stir fry vegetables from Costco that my cousin left in my freezer last Thanksgiving.
Kismit!

I boiled some brown rice to accompany it.
Diced and fried some tofu in olive oil with a little tamari, along with a handful of raw spanish peanuts. As soon as those were ready I tossed in the vegetables and added the sauce.

It was good. I think I'll do this again.

I was invited to dinner last night. I was served an omelette, sweet potatoes, peas with raw cherry tomatoes.

A delicious vanilla flavoured apple crumble made wit spelt flour and Barbados sugar.

Reactions: ledboots
A warm potato, cauliflower salad with Cauldron Lancashire bangers and evo/cider dressing and nooch.

Strawberries for dessert.

I like to a make a super easy, yummy fried tofu recipe.
I dry the tofu and cut it into cubes.
I let it set for about 2-5 minutes in soy sauce. (optional) This adds a lot of flavor.
Then I put the tofu in corn starch and fry it in veggie oil until the tofu turns golden brown on all sides.
This is a super easy recipe that can be done at the last minute. You could also try to marinate the tofu in something other than soy sauce or dip in flour instead of corn starch. The Possibilities are endless!:chickens::chickens::chickens::chickens::chickens:
:doggy:
:chickens::chickens::chickens::chickens:

Reactions: Nina
Today am taking noodles and peanuts. Its my favorite dish. You are all welcome. lol...PM me for home address

Reactions: Second Summer
I made a simple but good lentil stew: green (I think) lentils, some jalapenos, crushed tomatoes, garlic, vegetable oil. I froze some of it. I eat it sometimes with rice, sometimes with bread... and whatever vegetable I have. Yesterday was dandelion greens and garlic chives; the day before was turnip greens.

Reactions: KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.