Literature What are you currently reading?

I’m reading a diary from a ww2 German soldier ,a truck driver I think .
I might try some overseas German embassy to see if I can get it to any surviving relatives.
1713857594017.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
Today I finished "Summer with my Sisters" by Holly Chamberline. It is not a crime thriller but a story of family tragedy and relationships. Twenty-five year old Polly must return home to be the guardian of her teenaged sisters after their father suddenly passes away. Their mother had died a few year earlier of cancer. She is ill prepared to parent a 16 year old and a 13 year old. They struggle to deal with all this requires. Then there is Evie, a 16 year old runaway that Daisy (the 16 year old) befriends. Her story is a tragic one as well. This is a well written and emotions stirring story of people dealing with the outcomes of traumas. But there is hope and a bit of romance as well. Really good book and I will look for the author's other ones.

• Informative
I just dropped off two books at the free library box and found another one I have heard about. How to kill your family - Bella Mackie.

Yesterday afternoon I read an entire book! I literally couldn't put it down! It is Harlan Coben's "Fool Me Once." How far would you go to protect your family? This book is a thriller about a woman who suffers from PTSD due to her service in the Army in the Middle East. She has a two year old daughter she is raising alone as her husband was murdered in front of her. Her sister was also murdered a few years before. As usual in Coben's books, there are questions inside of questions and twists everywhere. A wild ride with a surprise ending that I totally wasn't expecting!

I have read most of this just today. I have been bad and I have one other at home and now another on hold at the library, so back up.
This was a random pick up. I had no idea who the writer was. I see it is part of a detective serius. I will definitely check out the rest. Once I actually start reading the book, it is twisty good. Looking into the Writer I see she passed away. I also see some books have tv and movies off her books.

• Informative
Just finished The Finisher by David Baldacci.

Baldacci is a prolific writer and has many best sellers. I think he is most famous for his very first book, Absolute Power, which was made into a movie. He mostly writes Mystery/Thriller types.

I found the audiobook The Finisher on Hoopla. It was in amongst the YA adventure fantasy novels. The audio book, unlike most of them, did not have chapters. after I had lost my place for the third time I found the e-book, also on Hoopla and finished The Finisher by reading it.

After finishing The Finisher I discovered that this is just the first book in a Trilogy.

The Finisher is a good book but I don't think its that's great. According to the blurb, Baldacci did a lot of research in fantasy to help write this book and it's clear that Tolkien and Lewis were big influencers in The Finisher. Unfortunately I felt that it made the book less original and too similar.

But it is a page turner and kept me engaged all the way thru.

The next book is caller The Keeper and I've already downloaded both the audio format and the E-book. But I'm not sure I will get to it right away.

I read both the earlier books in the Ellie Alexander series about the brewery in the German village in Washington. The first one is "Death on Tap" and the second is "The Pint of No Return." I love the play on words titles! Both were very quick fun reads about the fun little town and their Ocktoberfest. Of course there is a murder to solve and our hero gets involved. I have now reserved the last two in the series. The author also has a series that centers around baking so I will probably read those too.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
Read another Harlan Coben called "The Stranger." Another twisty, complicated thriller that sucked me right into the story. Everyone has secrets and "the stranger" and his little group of do-gooders decide to blackmail some people with devastating consequences. Another winner!

I didn't enjoy the second Mitch Albom heaven book as much as the first. I returned it to the library and picked up another one there for me called Look Both Ways - Linwood Barclay. I'm going to start that today. He is similar to Harlan Coben in that he writes crime thrillers.

Reactions: Chryssie