What age did you go vegetarian?

What age were you when you went vegetarian?

• Total voters
I wish I was raised vegan and brought up in a vegan world that has lab grown meat for true carnivores* at an affordable price
Oh well. I can only dream. :p
*Ferrets, cats, etc.

Last edited:
I was in my mid 50's before I finally made the decision to become vegetarian. My husband and I changed lifestyles together and though we are not "together" any longer, we are both still vegetarian. We were vegan for a time but I admit I have "slipped" a bit and now consider myself a strict vegetarian

Reactions: PTree15
I wanted to go vegetarian as soon as I knew it was a thing. I wish I'd had more balls and not let my mother say "no", it was only when I was 16 I had the courage to go tell her I was doing it anyway (then saw the light at 20 and went vegan)

I wanted to go vegetarian as soon as I knew it was a thing.

Yeah me too. I remember when I was eight telling my mum I was going to be vegetarian when I was 12, because 12 seemed like a grown up enough age to make that kinda decision. :rofl: I went vegetarian at 11 so I guess 8 year old me was fairly wise!

Interesting, if you lump them together 10-20 has the most results, but it's more spread out in the later years than I thought it would be.

Reactions: PTree15
Indeed! When I look back, I can't figure out why it took me so long.
This. I wanted to go veggie in my teens, when I met the veggie sister of the guy I was dating, but my mom was like, nooooo.

When I was a kid I was very small and skinny. Underweight, even. Had I wanted to become a vegetarian (veganism was unknown to me then) before adulthood, my SAD-loving parents would have been aghast and refused to allow it. I didn't cook, but had I tried it anyway, my mother probably would have sneaked meat into everything I ate. Even today, every time my 88 year old mother sees me, she's convinced I've lost weight and thinks I'm a little malnourished because of my diet. But she doesn't cook anymore, so I don't have to worry about meat sneaked into whatever I eat at her house. :p

Indeed! When I look back, I can't figure out why it took me so long.

And to be fair (to myself), I did "get it" at an early age and went vegetarian twice before; once around age 25 and again at 33, for about 6 months each time. It didn't "stick" for various reasons I won't go into. Suffice it to say that where I live it is much easier to be veg*n now than it was back in 1985.

Better late than never!

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Vegetarian at 14, vegan at 18. Just wish I had "seen the light" sooner.
:yes: I really wish I knew about the horrors and truth of it all , especially the truth about the dairy industry at a younger age. I went vegetarian before I went vegan, but had I known the truth I would've gone straight vegan. Even when I went vegan I still didn't know what I know now. I went vegan when I found out about the pus and blood in milk, and what whey and casein really were. (Thankfully I never liked eggs and always thought they were nauseating.) The whole "ick" factor pushed me over and the ethical part sealed the deal.

I think it would have been interesting if I had gone strict vegetarian whilst I was at school...I might have actually had the beans....they had baked beans every day, I think, but I never had them. It was either pizza and chips, or cheese pastie and chips.

I think it would have been interesting if I had gone strict vegetarian whilst I was at school...I might have actually had the beans....they had baked beans every day, I think, but I never had them. It was either pizza and chips, or cheese pastie and chips.

On toast? :p

Reactions: KLS52
I worked in a school cafeteria for awhile. We toasted bread on huge baking sheets in huge ovens. I wish I had an oven that big.