WF Vegan DHA Sources-No Supplements?

vegan89

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm aware there is some debate over whether we really need to add DHA into our diets vs getting ALA omega 3's from common vegan foods like walnuts, but DHA supplementation also seems to have many credible sources that claim it is beneficial. Consequently, something I read lately drew my interest... apparently there are a couple types of seaweed that contain naturally occurring DHA despite being whole foods and also vegan -- with no pill supplements required. However, they appear difficult to find.

I first heard about this here:
"While is it commonly found in seafood products, such as salmon, mackerel, tuna and sardines, seaweed is a vegetarian source of DHA."
Source: Hazards of Eating Nori Seaweed | Livestrong.com

After searching for seaweed that contains DHA for a while on Bing, I managed to find this:
"In order to get vegan-sourced docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) omega-3s, you can look for some very cold-water harvested algae"
Source: Seafood for Vegans? A Dive into Seaweed and Algae

The same "Seafood Nutrition" website above has the following comment of interest on the article (from user "Josh"):
"I am curious if you have a source for the fact about Seaweed being “an important source of DHA” in the article linked below. I looked it up on pubmed and while two types of seaweed contain DHA (sargassum and ulva), the former kind is inedible and the latter is rare and hard to find in an edible form (“sea lettuce”). Asking because I’m vegan and trying to see if I can get DHA from food sources."

The same "Seafood Nutrition" website replied to the comment from Josh by agreeing that this type of seaweed is "hard to come by" in the US with little further explanation given, suggesting instead that vegans get their DHA from the usual algae oil DHA pills for vegans.

However, I have a problem with this... every vegan DHA oil pill I've come across contains some amount of sunflower oil... however small it may be, and this is one particular ingredient that seems to have caused several people in my family issues with vomiting and diarrhea in the past whenever a frozen dinner or processed food item that contains this ingredient is accidentally consumed. Therefore, I'm interested in these types of algae (especially seaweed -- because I love Asian food) that have naturally occurring DHA.

Does anyone know anything about these types of seaweed and algae that contain DHA and where you can buy them? (Again, I'm asking for information about whole vegan foods here - not pills or supplements). I called some local Asian markets that typically seem to have selections of seaweed and couldn't find them.

Are they typically only sold in certain regions (I'm guessing Japan maybe)?

EDIT: Asking for whole vegan foods that are DHA sources and thought the above info might help in tracking down useful information. Not looking for any type of pill at this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy_T
I first tried algae dha supplements years ago and was so surprised how much better I felt when taking them. Mostly attention/focus. I was never a seafood eater of any kind, so I suppose I'd been missing out all this time.,
I've switched around based on price, and these are the cleanest of ingredients--no added oil

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou
However, I have a problem with this... every vegan DHA oil pill I've come across contains some amount of sunflower oil... however small it may be, and this is one particular ingredient that seems to have caused several people in my family issues with vomiting and diarrhea in the past whenever a frozen dinner or processed food item that contains this ingredient is accidentally consumed. Therefore, I'm interested in these types of algae (especially seaweed -- because I love Asian food) that have naturally occurring DHA.
This vegan DHA supplement has no sunflower oil: https://www.amazon.com/Freshfield-Vegan-Omega-DHA-Supplement/dp/B07H9GL3Y8

Problem solved.

Vegan89, you stated that you couldn't find a vegan DHA supplement that doesn't have sunflower oil. I found you one. How are you disagreeing?

Reactions: Brian W
I first tried algae dha supplements years ago and was so surprised how much better I felt when taking them. Mostly attention/focus. I was a seafood eater of any kind, so I suppose I'd been missing out all this time.,
I've switched around based on price, and these are the cleanest of ingredients--no added oil

Good find, Silva! This supplement also contains no sunflower (or other) oil.

Problem solved.

Reactions: Brian W and Lou
This vegan DHA supplement has no sunflower oil: https://www.amazon.com/Freshfield-Vegan-Omega-DHA-Supplement/dp/B07H9GL3Y8

Problem solved.
I've tried that one too.
Maybe they hit the wrong button! Or didn't want carrageenan?
I liked the ones I posted, but you needed 3 to get the recommended 250mg (appx) of dha.
Dr Greger has advised they are all from one source of algae grown for supplements, so he hasn't recommended any in particular.
He also recommends a total of DHA, or DHA/EPA combined of 250.

Problem solved.
I have contacted companies that produce vegan DHA capsules before because I was excited to see they did not list sunflower oil as an ingredient. I received emails from the companies (which I still have, btw) stating that the algal oil does still contain sunflower which has no "technical or functional effect" because it is "used in the extraction process." I take it the amount present is residual, and thus does not need to be mentioned on the label. Nonetheless, I want to avoid it because of my history of issues with other products containing sunflower anything - oil or not.

This is why I am not interested in any pills, and the thread is about whole vegan foods exclusively. I am not going to email another 10 different companies to check if there is some minuscule residual amount of sunflower oil residue in their supplement despite not being mentioned on the label.

Last edited:
I have contacted companies that produce vegan DHA capsules before because I was excited to see they did not list sunflower oil as an ingredient. I received emails from the companies I emailed (which I still have, btw) stating that the algal oil does still contain sunflower which has no "technical or functional effect" because it is "used in the extraction process." I take it the amount present is residual, and thus does not need to be mentioned on the label. Nonetheless, I want to avoid it because of my history of issues with other products containing sunflower anything - oil or not.

This is why I am not interested in any pills, and the thread is about whole vegan foods exclusively. I am not going to email another 10 different companies to check if there is some minuscule residual amount of sunflower oil residue in their supplement despite not being mentioned on the label.
Understood, and thank you for clarifying.

I would really consult a Registered Dietitian regarding this. In the United States, you can find a local RD through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Find a Nutrition Expert

Sunflower allergies are rare, though that fact is not helpful to those who suffer from it: Sunflower seed allergy.

Reactions: vegan89
I do not know what the best source of plant-based DHA might be so cannot help. I have read that vegans can rely on endogenous synthesis of ALA from such sources as flaxseed, as you mention, but conversion rates vary. I believe there are two genetic variants that result in endogenous synthesis being variable but no sure which ethnic groups have which variant. Personally I am not confident ALA conversion is sufficient so I supplement. Here in Australia a strain of canola has been developed that has a high DHA content but that doesnt sound useful to you, even if it were available. I believe seaplants have DHA so probably nori, spirulina etc would be options?

have you tried typing
ulva seaweed
into a search engine and choosing the "shopping" results option?

Or
dha seaweed powder bulk
as a search?

have you tried typing
ulva seaweed
into a search engine and choosing the "shopping" results option?

Or
dha seaweed powder bulk
as a search?
I heard there were some seaweed and algae that had DHA in them but could not find them for sale on Amazon. I tried calling up a local Asian market and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. The only algae powder I could find on Amazon was stuff like spirulina or chlorella, which iirc did not have DHA.

I don't really want to buy from a third party seller on Amazon because I've heard of a lot of issues with people selling fraudulent products there, and actually experienced some of them directly.

If you know of a reputable place like Whole Foods or Trader Joes that sells it though that would be awesome, but I haven't come up with anything despite searching.

Is this too much like a supplement?

This one is marketed for feeding your fish

Someone re-selling on e-bay. Not sure how you feel about that.

I found all of these with the searches I suggested

Last edited:
I have contacted companies that produce vegan DHA capsules before because I was excited to see they did not list sunflower oil as an ingredient. I received emails from the companies (which I still have, btw) stating that the algal oil does still contain sunflower which has no "technical or functional effect" because it is "used in the extraction process." I take it the amount present is residual, and thus does not need to be mentioned on the label. Nonetheless, I want to avoid it because of my history of issues with other products containing sunflower anything - oil or not.

I find it hard to believe that manufacturers of supplements are not legally required to list on the ingredients any substance that might remain when so many people have allergies or even when they don't, they still have a right to choose. The bottle should at least say "may contain traces of..." if there is any chance of residue in the product.

I couldn't access that one, not sure why, the tablet i use acts weird sometimes--but it sounds interesting and informative.

Did find this

This article says that Undaria pinnatifida (aka wakame) has about 5% total fat content and about 13% of that is eicosapentaenoic acid. I usually eat about 5g dry at a time (reconstituted to much more than that). I think that 5% of 5g fat is about 0.25g fat. Then 13% of .25g is about .0325g, or 32mg. So could my little serving of cut wakame be giving me 32mg of epa? That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

If I understood 'table 5' in the article correctly, and if my math is in the ballpark. Anybody want to double check for me?

You were looking for DHA specifically, but maybe it would be okay to get some EPA, too?

By the way,
Cut wakame is a great convenience food if you enjoy seaweed as much as I do. Just put a tablespoon or two in a small jar (or glass or bowl) of water for 5 to 60 minutes (5 is enough, but if you get distracted easily like me, longer doesn't hurt anything), then drain, add seasoning, vinegar, and/or olive (or other) oil as your tastes dictate. Instant seaweed salad.

I buy mine at a local asian grocery, but you can order it online too from several places, not just amazon

I think I read somewhre that it is the most abundant farmed edible seaweed. So it is fairly popular and easy-to-find.

Last edited:
I heard there were some seaweed and algae that had DHA in them but could not find them for sale on Amazon. I tried calling up a local Asian market and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. The only algae powder I could find on Amazon was stuff like spirulina or chlorella, which iirc did not have DHA.

I don't really want to buy from a third party seller on Amazon because I've heard of a lot of issues with people selling fraudulent products there, and actually experienced some of them directly.

If you know of a reputable place like Whole Foods or Trader Joes that sells it though that would be awesome, but I haven't come up with anything despite searching.
I had to laugh about the grocery store staff not knowing about DHA. I guess for a lot of people seaweed consumption is a cultural tradition thing, so they have never had reason to think about all the health benefits it is giving them.