Warm weather ideas

peacefulveglady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
As I am exploring new ways of trying things to getting more transiting to Veg friendly lifestyle, I am wanting to know more about warm weather food ideas. We are going shopping in a few weeks for some summer time things, starting to purchase stuff that is more healthier and wanting to know to get some ideas.
Thanks.

In the warm weather, I'm big on salads, not necessarily those that are all greens, though.
One of my favorites is made with cous cous, which you can buy in bulk (it's cheaper than buying the little boxes of it). You make the cous cous and then add a tiny bit of oil and vinegar, lemon juice, raisins, chickpeas, a tasty green like arugula (chopped) and some red onion. It's quick and tasty and has always been a hit at family gatherings. You can eat it warm or cold. You can sub out the raisins for other dried fruit such as cranberries.

Quinoa can also be used as a base for warm and cold salads. It's awesome with different fruits and veggies mixed together. You can flavor it in many ways. And quinoa is a really good source of protein. Plus, it just tastes really good. :D

Pasta salads are also on my list of warm-weather food. You can make any kind of dressing you want and load it up with whatever veggies you have on hand. I often use broccoli, carrots, red onions, green beans and peas in mine. I also add olives and Daiya shreds for a little tang. My favorite dressing is Italian, which I also make myself because I really can't stomach a lot of the jarred stuff. I just think it's nasty for the most part. Homemade dressing is wicked easy to make. If you have a Betty Crocker cookbook, there are several you could make for pasta salad.

ETA: Oh, and grilled anything is so good in the summer, even fruit. Grilled pineapple is delicious.

I was going to mention salads, too. :D

You can also get some mock meats, such as Gardein chicken-type strips (I assume they exist, or another brand) which can be added to salads for extra protein.

Pasta salads are good, too. I have a preference for whole wheat pasta.

I like homemade bean burgers in the summer, too. My favorite is a black bean burger, but you can make other veggie burgers as well. There are tons of recipes for ones using everything from rice to tofu to mushrooms.

I am not big on tofu yet or into tofu as I am to nervous about trying it but, I have a recipe for black bean vegan burgers I been wanting to try, this is a great season to try. Plus we have some tupperware burger presses lots of them, My husband said I can use most of them for my vegan burgers we are making.

Reactions: PTree15
Yeah, tofu isn't for everybody, but since I started cooking it myself, I've been pretty happy with the results. Another thing about the burgers is that you can make them and freeze them. My recipe makes about nine burgers, so I usually freeze most of them unless I have people over. My friends love my black bean burgers. :D

I just recieved a bunch of Vegan coupons from compassion over Killing Veg week deal thing I signed up for, I am going to use these in a few weeks and its alot and I got a sample of a vegan type paramsean cheese.

Reactions: Amy SF
Any kind of salad is good, ie taco salads, or potato salad. Grilled mushroom burgers are good too.

I'll do these suggestions in June , went crazy yesterday with other stuff and we are still limited on funds at least I have veggies and fruits. I plus I am down with the flu.