UK Veggie but hate vegetables! Help!

Kadie

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I became vegetarian 3 months ago and I'm glad I made the choice.

The biggest problem is I hate vegetables! I like corn and broccoli but dislikeeverything else!

I don't want to become unhealthy and want to have a good balanced diet... but being a nurse I can work 14 hour shifts and don't want go spent 40 minutes cooking new foods!

Are there any suggestions of any dishes I can pre make that'll start my taste buds liking veggies and giving my body the nutrients it needs!

Thank you!

I hear you on the 14 hour shifts. That's a challenge.

But if you can, make an effort to frequently try new vegetables! And don't give up on a vegetable until you've tried it prepared in a number of different ways.

How about vegetable soups and stews? They should be relatively easy to pre-make (even in large batches) and then freeze for long-term storage, and microwave when you want to eat it. How about lentil soup? Or a vegetable chili?

OK, I know you said vegetables, but what about fruit? Avocado? Smoothies with avocado in them? Or how about guacamole? (Can be purchased pre-made some places.)

Reactions: Val
I hear you on the 14 hour shifts. That's a challenge.

But if you can, make an effort to frequently try new vegetables! And don't give up on a vegetable until you've tried it prepared in a number of different ways.

How about vegetable soups and stews? They should be relatively easy to pre-make (even in large batches) and then freeze for long-term storage, and microwave when you want to eat it. How about lentil soup? Or a vegetable chili?

OK, I know you said vegetables, but what about fruit? Avocado? Smoothies with avocado in them? Or how about guacamole? (Can be purchased pre-made some places.)

Yeah I really really like chunky veg soup, especially with a strong roasted pepper flavour, I should definitely play with that idea!

I've never tried lentil soup or veggie chilli! I'm not a huge fan of the lentil flavour but I'll try it in a soup! I love a 5 bean chilli con Carne so a veggie chilli sounds like something I'd enjoy!

I love fruit. Roll on summer when blended fruit smoothie become dinner! I'm slowly introducing myself to guacamole by eating more and more each time I try it. Honestly I'm kinda scared of avocado haha

Thank you some awesome ideas!

Reactions: KLS52
Stir-fries may be an option as well, but obviously require a bit more work than just heating something in the microwave. Mexican-style dishes can easily be made vegetarian or vegan. Just use tinned / canned beans.

Have you tried tofu? It's an excellent source of plant protein, and can easily be added to stir-fries. Just make sure to add some good spices / seasoning.

Another idea: raw vegetables. Carrots, cucumber, .... While maybe not as tasty, there is less work in preparing. And that's worth something, right?

Tomatoes (esp. those small ones full of flavour) go well on top of bread / in sandwiches.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

The biggest problem is I hate vegetables! I like corn and broccoli but dislikeeverything else!

I don't want to become unhealthy and want to have a good balanced diet... but being a nurse I can work 14 hour shifts and don't want go spent 40 minutes cooking new foods!

Are there any suggestions of any dishes I can pre make that'll start my taste buds liking veggies and giving my body the nutrients it needs!

Thank you!
From the types of veggies you like it sounds as though you make expand on what you like with different preperations. There are some veggies everyone seems to recommend not overcooking, but that's just how I like them- like brussel sprouts. I hate them when they still have a 'bite', but like them when fully cooked through, with maybe a drizzle of good balsamic, or roasted garlic and carmelized onions. I only like raw carrots when thinly sliced. Love them cooked with rosemary. Cauliflower is incredibly versatile. It can get fully cooked and pureed for cream soups with added nutritional yeast garlic and spices, or added to mashed potatoes.
I like to use a lot of frozen broccoli and the frozen Oriental veggie blends. I'll let them dethaw and then cook on a high heat, using a stir fry type sauce when they're almost done

OK, again not vegetables, but they're easy to prepare:

Nuts and seeds don't necessarily require any preparation, so can be eaten raw. I think e.g. cashews are generally well liked. Walnuts may be another option. A lot of people like almonds. Peanuts would be yet another option ...

Hey guys,

Thank you!

Greetings, Kadie! :wave: Congrats to you & welcome aboard!

I hope some of these links can help you....

Vegetarian Dishes Even Veggie Haters Will Love | Bottom Line Inc

8 Practical Tips for Vegans Who Hate Vegetables | LIVEKINDLY

These 20 Recipes Will Turn Veggie-Haters Into Veggie-Lovers

Vegetable Haters: How to Start Eating Vegetables | Nerd Fitness

30 Vegetable Recipes for People Who Hate Vegetables | Cheapism

A few of them might be omni, so just ignore the parts where they tell you to add bacon. :p LOL

That's interesting. What about if, like me, you don't like fruits? o_O I never eat fruit... except, of course, those "veggie fruits" (beans, peppers, tomatoes, avocados, etc.).... ;)
I tend to eat fruit when it's part of a pastry or other dessert; otherwise, I am (unfortunately) not much into fruit.

One sure fire way I've gotten kids and other veggie-averse people to start liking vegetables is to bread them and fry them. :p

Roasted root vegetables (also roasted cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, etc.) also tend to be liked by almost everyone. The same holds true of grilled vegetables. There's something about those cooking methods that brings out the best in vegetables.

I tend to eat fruit when it's part of a pastry or other dessert; otherwise, I am (unfortunately) not much into fruit.

One sure fire way I've gotten kids and other veggie-averse people to start liking vegetables is to bread them and fry them.
Roasted root vegetables (also roasted cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, etc.) also tend to be liked by almost everyone. The same holds true of grilled vegetables. There's something about those cooking methods that brings out the best in vegetables.
The same here. :p As i get older, i realize that i like veggies much more than fruit. But if i can i set off the lack of nutrients by eating more berries.:sb:Especially chokeberries, marshwort, cloudberries and black gooseberries (the northern grapes), as they contain such amount of beneficial stuff that all the fruit could be replaced by them.:lick:

Last edited:
You might look up "meal preparation".
Nothing wrong with spending 40 minutes in the kitchen if it yields you ready-made dishes for multiple days.

We're in total agreement there.... :drool:

Reactions: Mischief
Hi, Kadie-

Going vegetarian can be a bit of a restriction anyway, so it's good to have a lot of variety. In the meantime, it's a good start that you like fruit, corn, and broccoli. I don't know where you live, but in the United States, broccoli tends to have fewer pesticides in it than many vegetables and fruits, even when it's not organic- and it's a nutritional powerhouse, with vitamins C, A, and K, as well as iron and calcium (plus some other nutrients I can't recall). Other vegetables related to broccoli sometimes taste rather similar and have similar nutrients. I think Brussels sprouts are the most similar-tasting to broccoli; collards can be quite strong-tasting, while mustard greens can have a hot, peppery taste that burns the inside of your nose before they're cooked (almost like that mustard you get in Chinese restaurants).

What vegetables have you tried that you know you don't like (at least the way they were prepared that time)?