Vegetarianism and depression

Has anyone seen a correlation between becoming a vegetarian and depression symptoms getting better. I'm bipolar, and have been for almost 30 years. I deal mostly with depressive episodes, and have tried just about every medication out there, to no avail. I have noticed with I eat clean (but with meat), I do feel somewhat better. So, I was wondering if going without meat would make a positive difference?

Anyone have any experience with this? I would love to hear what you have to say.

There are certain foods that are a huge staples in the vegan diet like nuts and lentils and even pineapples that contain tryptophan without having to cook it, which helps increase serotonin levels. So for someone who is prone to mood swings or depression, eating certain healthy foods can affect your mood in a positive way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bipolar disorder with psychosis and going vegan improved my mental state immensely. I still take omega 3's from fish because it has always helped but food wise I am vegan. I think it helps to not be putting all of the hormones and antibiotics that is in meat into my body. I was a huge meat and dairy eater and now I've lost 30lbs and feel way better than I ever did eating meat and dairy. I also exercise more since I have more energy so that also helps.