Vegetable & Fruit Portion Guide

Considering the number of people who rarely have any fresh fruits and/or vegetables in their diet at all, asking them to eat more of it every day seems like a difficult task. For us veg*ans, I think I speak for most if not all of us in saying that the more fruits and veggies, the merrier. For everyone else, good luck.

So much easier hitting your 10 a day (or 5 a day in the Uk) as a vegan. Most of the time I tend to have a huge fruit salad for lunch :)

Reactions: KLS52
Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
When my kids were small I would often make a one pound bag of frozen veggies with dinner and my mother would flip out because it was too much!

Reactions: Emma JC
and frozen vegetables and fruits are so good these days and don't go bad - I am grateful for frozen although I would love to grow my own fresh - some day!

Emma JC

I buy a lot of frozen vegetables and fruit during the winter months. Not only are they cheaper and fresher(at my local Lidl's vegetables are often wilting) but it's nice that you can rustle up a meal in a jiffy.
I've not bought fresh cauliflower in years and frozen tastes exactly the same as freshly picked. 😉

A serving of vegetables is only 1/2 cup. For raw leafy green vegetables, a serving is only 1 cup. https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/food-essentials/how-much-do-we-need-each-day/serve-sizes

I think that the "5 servings a day" message is discouraging to people, because they think that a "serving" is the same as a "portion". People think that they have to eat huge platefuls of broccoli, and that's just not true.

I just get the general impression that a lot of people, just don't like vegetables and even in some cases, fruit. Moreover, I'm also
surprised that a majority of children do not like vegetables and wonder why ?

As a baby boomer, I remember as a child that we all ate up our veg and enjoyed them. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I can tell you the reason I disliked veggies as a kid.... all of ours came from a can, except on Sundays when we had a roast and we had Green Giant corn and peas... that was okay. Canned veggies, potatoes (thankfully) a meat of some kind and then fruit, also from a can, with cookies.

Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I can tell you the reason I disliked veggies as a kid.... all of ours came from a can, except on Sundays when we had a roast and we had Green Giant corn and peas... that was okay. Canned veggies, potatoes (thankfully) a meat of some kind and then fruit, also from a can, with cookies.

Emma JC

I remember having tinned fruit (cocktail salad or peaches) and hated them. Thankfully, we usually only ate fresh fruit picked straight from the orchard. :)

I remember having tinned fruit (cocktail salad or peaches) and hated them. Thankfully, we usually only ate fresh fruit picked straight from the orchard. :)
I never liked the tinned fruit cocktail, either. It was too mushy and too syrupy. We had it only occasionally, as my mom always preferred fresh fruit.

When I was growing up (California, 1970s and 1980s), it seems like people didn't know how to cook vegetables in an appetizing way. Everything was too mushy, too bland, or strange/strong tasting. Beans were too sweet, from a can. Broccoli was overcooked. When I started eating at Indian and Asian restaurants, I found out that I liked beans and vegetables.

When I was growing up (California, 1970s and 1980s), it seems like people didn't know how to cook vegetables in an appetizing way. Everything was too mushy, too bland, or strange/strong tasting. Beans were too sweet, from a can. Broccoli was overcooked. When I started eating at Indian and Asian restaurants, I found out that I liked beans and vegetables.
Seriously, that has never happened to me...