shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
https://veganz.de/en/stores/

The World's First Vegan Supermarket Chain Just Went Bankrupt

"Unfortunately, we had to close our branches in Frankfurt, Leipzig, Hamburg, Essen, Vienna and Munich. We would like to thank all customers who visited our markets. But even if we are no longer with our stores – Veganz and our products are still there for you! At the Veganz online shop shop.veganz.de you can continue to order all the delicious products you love. Take a look and see!"

As the chain has closed all it's German and European based stores; they will not be opening one in
London as previously announced.

Last edited:
From the Vice article linked to in the OP:
Jan Bredack, the founder of Veganz, told Lebensmittelzeitung that the growing emergence of other vegan purveyors throughout Germany was largely responsible for Veganz downturn.

Maybe some people also had unrealistic expectations about what customers are willing to pay for their groceries.

Erm, no.

First, that article is from Jan 2017, about 21 months ago.

Second, those familiar with the story here in Germany suggest it was a deliberate decision on part of Veganz to let the distribution company go bankrupt after having carefully separated the production and distribution parts of the business, to the detriment of small investors in the distribution part and partners who had invested in setting up shops in their supermarkets. They rather focused on delivering their products to « normal » supermarkets where they sometimes get complete shelves to stack with all their products. So there are many here who consider them as vegan, but not necessarily as ethical.

U-huh... I've seen a few Veganz products (and other vegan products) in the shelves of several stores but I've sadly also seen them vanish again because they don't sell. When looking at the price tags I can see exactly why.

Reactions: Andy_T
U-huh... I've seen a few Veganz products (and other vegan products) in the shelves of several stores but I've sadly also seen them vanish again because they don't sell. When looking at the price tags I can see exactly why.

I totally agree. Vegan products in the US are also quite expensive. I treated myself to some Gardein products on sale plus Beyond Meat. However, I couldn't afford to buy them on a daily basis.