KFC employees serve chicken to a Vegan

Sax

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Vegan mother 'humiliated' by KFC staff who served her chicken and then 'laughed at her'

A vegan mother has hit out at KFC after staff at the fast food chain served her a chicken burger and then “laughed at her” when she complained.

Vanessa Franco attempted to order the restaurant’s new vegan burger at a drive-thru in Colliers Wood, London.

But after three bites she realised something wasn’t right and confronted staff who told her it was in fact chicken.

According to Franco, KFC employees laughed when she told them she was vegan and asked why she didn’t notice it was chicken.

Franco, who recently turned vegan and has been a life-long vegetarian, said: “I realised the texture tasted different.

“I drove back to KFC and asked them to confirm it was a vegan burger. That’s when the girl who served me told me it was a chicken fillet burger.

“She then called her colleague who told me to come inside.

“She also said if I took bites out of it then why didn’t I notice it was a chicken burger. I explained I have been a vegetarian my whole life.”

Franco then went into the restaurant to speak to the manager.

“That’s when he gave me a vegan burger, didn’t apologise and laughed and said, ‘You should have known it was chicken,’” she added.

“All of the staff stood there staring at me. I felt humiliated and have been left traumatised due to not only a lifestyle choice but also religion being broken and made fun of.

“I was speechless and can’t express how disgusting their customer service was.”

KFC later apologised for her ordeal at its branch in Colliers Wood.

A spokesman said: “This isn’t great and we’re really sorry for what happened here.

“Our vegan burger launched last month and we took its arrival seriously – putting strict new processes in place to make sure it’s served properly, including the use of separate coloured tongs and storage units.

“We’re following up with the team to remind them of the importance of getting this right and will be offering the guest a free meal on us to put things right.”

....A free meal?! :mad:

Honestly, what the hell is a "vegan" doing in a KFC? This reminds me of Louis CK's bit "of course but maybe"

OF COURSE she should NOT have been served actual meat. Of COURSE. That's a horrible thing to do to someone trying to convert to veganism. Of course! .......................but maaaaaaaayyybeeee, you're in a restaurant with "chicken" in the name perhaps you had it coming?

y,know?

i don't eat at ANY other restaurant than Vegan Pizza House in Vancouver. They are the ONLY true vegan restaurant in Vancouver. They do not serve any dairy or egg or anything animal based. Just tasty, plant based food. No lie, every other "vegan" restaurant in Vancouver serves dairy. It makes me sick how my lifestyle is completely misunderstood and exploited by corporations. Just because you put 12 different salads on your menu you can't say it's "vegan". That term includes the food preparation methods as well.

i also worked in the food service industry for over a decade. From Dishpit to General Manager and i can assure you one thing about every single regular restaurant kitchen. Food cross contamination is UNAVOIDABLE. i don't care how many times someone washes their hands PROPERLY, and i have level 2 FOODSAFE certification. Meal rushes, especially weekends do not provide an opportunity to continuously leave the line, wash your hands, come back to wipe down the cutting board section you want to use for only plant based food, then go wash your hands again because you used a quat sanitiser then come back to prepare the food item exclusively before moving on to any other order. It is simply not achievable.

Vegan mother 'humiliated' by KFC staff who served her chicken and then 'laughed at her'

“That’s when he gave me a vegan burger, didn’t apologise and laughed and said, ‘You should have known it was chicken,’” she added.
This is what bothers me most about the situation, the lack of being taken seriously. She deserved a sincere apology because they screwed up, plain and simple.

i don't eat at ANY other restaurant than Vegan Pizza House in Vancouver. They are the ONLY true vegan restaurant in Vancouver.
No lie, every other "vegan" restaurant in Vancouver serves dairy.

Hi Jay, and welcome to the forum.

I urge you to carefully verify your claims before posting.

According to HappyCow, there are at least 28 completely vegan restaurants in Vancover: https://www.happycow.net/searchmap?s=3&location=Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada&filters=vegan&radius=15&metric=mi&limit=81&order=default&lat=49.2631&lng=-123.121 .

If you believe that these 28+ vegan restaurants are serving dairy or egg, then please provide proof. Otherwise, you will unintentionally spread misinformation.

Last edited:
Honestly, what the hell is a "vegan" doing in a KFC? This reminds me of Louis CK's bit "of course but maybe"

OF COURSE she should NOT have been served actual meat. Of COURSE. That's a horrible thing to do to someone trying to convert to veganism. Of course! .......................but maaaaaaaayyybeeee, you're in a restaurant with "chicken" in the name perhaps you had it coming?

y,know?
I've never dined at KFC as a vegan, but I have gone to other places with clearly un-vegan names such as steakhouses. Not because I particularly wanted to eat there, but because I was with a group of other people, e.g. my BIL's bachelor party. Yes, I'm aware of cross-contamination, and I prefer all-vegan restaurants where that should be a non-issue, but a lot of the time that can't be helped. Also, purism really isn't helping the cause and spread of veganism. Vegan options in un-vegan restaurants must be encouraged if we hope to take over the world.
i don't eat at ANY other restaurant than Vegan Pizza House in Vancouver. They are the ONLY true vegan restaurant in Vancouver. They do not serve any dairy or egg or anything animal based. Just tasty, plant based food. No lie, every other "vegan" restaurant in Vancouver serves dairy.
Vancouver is a big city. Although I've never been there, I find it very hard to believe the city has only one truly vegan restaurant.

y,know?

i don't eat at ANY other restaurant than Vegan Pizza House in Vancouver. They are the ONLY true vegan restaurant in Vancouver. They do not serve any dairy or egg or anything animal based. Just tasty, plant based food. No lie, every other "vegan" restaurant in Vancouver serves dairy. It makes me sick how my lifestyle is completely misunderstood and exploited by corporations. Just because you put 12 different salads on your menu you can't say it's "vegan". That term includes the food preparation methods as well.

i also worked in the food service industry for over a decade. From Dishpit to General Manager and i can assure you one thing about every single regular restaurant kitchen. Food cross contamination is UNAVOIDABLE. i don't care how many times someone washes their hands PROPERLY, and i have level 2 FOODSAFE certification. Meal rushes, especially weekends do not provide an opportunity to continuously leave the line, wash your hands, come back to wipe down the cutting board section you want to use for only plant based food, then go wash your hands again because you used a quat sanitiser then come back to prepare the food item exclusively before moving on to any other order. It is simply not achievable.

She had it coming? A lifelong vegetarian "had it coming" because she wanted to try a KFC vegan chicken sandwich? This kind of talk doesn't help veganism and it's a really rude way to talk about other vegans or vegetarians. Some people believe in changing the system by working from within the system, and there are a number of reasons people might eat at a non-vegan restaurant.

I'm not sure if this is the story I heard about. I don't remember the person saying that they were laughed at!

I did read about other cases of this happening with the new vegan burger. Infuriating but I suppose people do make mistakes.

I ordered the vegan chicken burger once from KFC, I think it was from Just Eat. It was nice, but expensive. I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again.

They are the ONLY true vegan restaurant in Vancouver.

I've been to Vegan Pizza House many times. They make a decent pizza, but they're far from the only "true" vegan restaurant in Vancouver. I'm not sure what part of Vancouver you live in, but I could name more than a just a few vegan restaurants across town that I like, and that's being modest.

You can look on Happy Cow for yourself for so called "true" vegan eateries in Vancouver. Clearly, there's no shortage of "true" vegan restaurants in Vancouver, so I'm not sure what mean, unless you mean because of the pandemic. Sadly, due to the pandemic, many have temporarily closed their doors.

• Informative
Reactions: Second Summer
She was traumatized because she ate some meat and was allegedly made fun of her eating meat? She's either a scammer trying to get something out of KFC, spoiled or a drama queen. Everyone who repeatedly deals with various humans is bound to be made fun of and mistakenly eating some meat isn't a big deal (in all likelihood she had eaten it before many times and consequences of it are minute).

As far I'm concerned free meal is a sufficient compensation for rude behavior and mistake that has no significant consequences to a reasonable person. .

That's disgusting. And the staff was despicable.
This is one of the main reasons why I avoid ordering food.