Whole soy is closing its doors.... :(

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I hate to see vegan companies go out of business. Plus I really liked their yogurt.
Their farewell message is sad to read. :(

It's so unfair that dairies get subsidies and decent businesses like this get nothing.
It is with very heavy hearts that we announce WholeSoy & Co. will be closing all operations this month. WholeSoy was founded in 1999. By 2013 soy yogurt sales were soaring and WholeSoy was the number one brand of soy yogurt on the market! Our unique Non-GMO verified, Organic, Vegan, Gluten-free, non-dairy yogurt had become a staple favorite in households across the country.

Unfortunately, in April of 2013 the contract manufacturer that was helping us make soy yogurt abruptly closed its doors leaving us without a facility to make our products. We were faced with a very difficult decision to either shut down WholeSoy or find a way to continue. We decided to pursue a long held dream and build our own dairy-free yogurt facility. This was an exciting, but incredibly expensive endeavor...
Farewell from WholeSoy & Co.

I have never had their products, but it is sad that the meat and dairy industry gets government cut backs. I am finding out more and more about "studies" with nutritional data and who funds them. It is ridiculous the slant they put on the studies.

I've never tried any WholeSoy products, but it is indeed sad that this company has had to shut down for financial reasons. :(

This is horrible timing. Theirs is the only vegan yogurt that I really like (at least, that I've tried thus far), and I decided to go vegan this week. I think I need to go back to Whole Foods and buy out the rest of them.

I've seen Silk, So Delicious (which I think does both coconut milk and soy), and Almond Dream in my grocery stores recently. They all taste like artificial sweetener to me, which I find pretty gross...and strange considering I don't think they actually contain any artificial sweetener.

O'Soy is made by Stonyfield Farms and has milk in it. Not sure of its from casein or from one of the live cultures in it.

I was curious about this and just checked the website, and I can't find any evidence of this. In fact, they appear to have a label declaring the product vegan (though it's so small I could be misreading it.): Stonyfield® O'Soy Organic Vanilla Soy Yogurt It is suspicious that they use the word "lactose-challenged," however.

I was curious about this and just checked the website, and I can't find any evidence of this. In fact, they appear to have a label declaring the product vegan (though it's so small I could be misreading it.): Stonyfield® O'Soy Organic Vanilla Soy Yogurt It is suspicious that they use the word "lactose-challenged," however.

Huh. Its got the vegan 'v' on it and everything. Maybe they recently changed it to be actually milk free. That would be pretty awesome!

That's too bad, I used to eat their products often, but am trying to reduce my reliance on soy. Now I mostly choose So Delicious. They have coconut and almond products and their frozen products are amazing.

Huh. Its got the vegan 'v' on it and everything. Maybe they recently changed it to be actually milk free. That would be pretty awesome!
I'm pretty sure I read an article a while back about them switching it to be vegan.

I wrote to Silk asking if they've changed their recipe since it tastes so awful now, and they have. They said the previous one didn't sell very well so they changed it. I told them it tasted horrible. So no more Whole Soy or Silk, and since I don't like any of the others, I guess that means no more yogurt. :(

I wrote to Silk asking if they've changed their recipe since it tastes so awful now, and they have. They said the previous one didn't sell very well so they changed it. I told them it tasted horrible. So no more Whole Soy or Silk, and since I don't like any of the others, I guess that means no more yogurt. :(
When did they change it?