News Vegans in space

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan

Love it. I read a lot of science fiction and on space stations and big space ships they grow plants, they usually have a lot of algae that they make into food. Also sometimes they grow mealworms for food. and of course vat-grown meat. but you know.... science fiction.

Yes! Certain science fiction books are so inspiring that way. Even back in the 1950s, some sci-fi authors envisioned future people getting their protein primarily from yeast (or reconstituted krill). Or eating fruits and vegetables that have been genetically-modified to grow in hydroponic solutions of unprocessed urine. Bright green burgers made from algae.

An incredible sci-fi novel - the 1990 winner of both the Hugo and Nebula book awards - is Earth, by David Brin. The story takes place in the near future - the year 2038.

“Other generations perceived a plethora of swords hanging over their heads. But generally what they feared were shadows, for neither they nor their gods could actually end the world. Fate might reap an individual, a family, or even a whole nation, but not the entire world. Not then.
We, in the mid-twenty-first century, are the first to look up at a sword we ourselves forged, and know, with absolute certainty, it is real...”

Last edited:
In the 1950 Isaac Asimov science-fiction short story, "Escape!", two human scientists travel in a spaceship that was completely designed, built, and piloted by a team of robots. The robotic spaceship serves beans and milk to its passengers.

1584580252246.png

"Escape" was part of Asimov's 1950 science fiction classic I, Robot. The Will Smith action movie of the same name was (very loosely) based on this novel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian W and Val
I saw the movie. In the latter third of the movie I began to have doubts about whether this was consistent with Asimov, which I read some of years ago. But can't remember much about now. One of them was a detective mystery story with a robot. Kind of a whodunnit where someone was sent to another planet to investigate possibly.

Reactions: Lou
I saw the movie. In the latter third of the movie I began to have doubts about whether this was consistent with Asimov, which I read some of years ago. But can't remember much about now. One of them was a detective mystery story with a robot. Kind of a whodunnit where someone was sent to another planet to investigate possibly.

I read that. I think it was I Robot. But it could have been Foundation.

Everything is politics, including space...
In terms of the federal budget I've said a few times I'd like to invert the percentages for NASA and the military
Right now the military is very bloated, inverting would still give them some budget to use in order to grease the wheels while scaling down
If there was ever any real conflict that they dont already have everything they would need they would be requesting help from NASA...
Its ALWAYS about the $

Of course Musk embarrassed NASA (or exposed some shadow thing... wheres all the $) with his reusable rockets...
50 million $ rocket only costs 200k $ in fuel to get to space...
The narrative is that NASA would continually make 50 million $ rockets, use them once and then make another
Do you believe that?

NASA_budget_linegraph_BH.png