More interesting news

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm still having fun with my vegan Google News Feed.

Today I found a really interesting article. It was on a new-to-me website that promotes healthy living, so that might be interesting to some of you too.

The article was this
THIS 100% VEGAN PROTEIN IS MADE OF (WAIT FOR IT!) AIR

Full article here.
https://www.wellandgood.com/good-food/solar-foods-vegan-protein/

The gist of it is that they have a vat of microbes that feed on hydrogen. This is definitely science fiction stuff. the article stated it, but me being a big SF reader anyway, my imagination made the leap to food production in space. Or underground after the apocalypse. Also, the microbes might be used in other vats to feed other things.

Anyway, this article was posted on the website WellAndGood.com

I champion vegan technological advances

this seems interesting. a bit weird, but interesting. what are these microbes though? it sounds a lot like, "we take water and air and feed it to a being which grows."

is that not what plants do? maybe im missing something haha

Plants take carbon dioxide, water, and sunlight to make sugar. The sugar becomes the building blocks for the plant.

Now I don't know much about these microbes but it sounds like they take hydrogen, carbon dioxide and some minerals and make protein. Not sure what kind of energy inputs are being added. And I'm not sure what kind of protein it results in. but it's pretty cool $h1+

This news just appeared in my news feed. It's not the same thing but i think its closely related enough to go in here too.

Another kind of science fiction-like vegan food thing.

So this new company, Triton Algae Innovations, is making headlines with .... well, algae innovations. We all have heard of supplements like Chlorella.

(BTW, Spirulina is made from Blue-Green Algae. Blue-green algae is a misnomer. Not only is it not an algae. It's not even in the plant kingdom. But in Monera - with bacteria. OK, end of biology lesson )

Well, Triton is looking at the hundreds if not thousands of algae out there. And they are not (for now anyway) looking at GMO versions. They may have already found a better alternative for the GMO heme that is in the Impossible Burger. They also may have found a way to use algae to improve baby formula and plant milks.

Anyway, they are aiming for making ingredients - not food. No algae burgers but maybe a better veggie burger with an algae ingredient. Maybe a way to boost protein in a plant milk. Sustainable, non-GMO, and plant based. These guys may be onto something.

Full article here.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennysplitter/2018/11/30/algae-next-plant-based-protein/#515b5b5a5510

That's awesome because the best source of Omega 3s that can be processed by your body is algal. So it would not only get rid of the GMO heme it would add vital nutrients to a product. Good news!

oh, now that is some good news I needed to hear. I feel like im not getting enough Omega3

Reactions: Emma JC
LiveKindly has just published another article on this company with more details. and they also mention Omega 3.

ALGAE PROTEIN MIGHT BE THE NEXT VEGAN REPLACEMENT
FOR DAIRY MILK
"The “non-GMO ‘wild type’ whole algae ingredient” tastes similar to sweet parsley, the company reports. The algae product can be used in nutritional bars, cereals, yogurts, juices, smoothies, sports drinks, and energy drinks, Xun Wang, Ph.D. and president and CEO of Triton Algae Innovations told Food Navigator. The product also is protein-rich and contains all essential amino acids, omega-3 fatty acids, fibers, iron, and calcium."

Link to Full article below

https://www.livekindly.co/algae-protein-might-be-the-next-vegan-replacement-for-dairy-milk/