Veganism in curriculum

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm starting to become convinced that one of the fundamental issues with why "environmentalism" or even legitimate climate science isn't "working" in the Western world isn't just a matter of policy, but of hypocrisy and logical inconsistency (which in essence is a perversion of logic).

If environmental science students literally saw their teachers and professors "leave no trace" (not just no trash or poop in the wilderness, but the stopping of takings of animals from their habitats or exploitation of animals for personal gain) it would make more logical sense.

I have come to believe the real reason why many environmentalists are hypocrites is not just "human nature" (though some things always are, like alcoholism and sex addiction, "sin" will follow the human being) but A REAL LACK OF CONSISTENCY IN LOGIC AND CURRICULUM.

The hypocrisy of ES majors talking about their gas guzzling cars (when I've lived without one for over a decade) and their meat-filled diets is nothing but a reflection of the unthinking, unsacrificing excesses of their upper middle class Baby Boom professors.

Why wouldn't you stop making exceptions for weak reasons (don't feel like it, inconvenient) unless THE VERY PEOPLE INSTRUCTING YOU were completely selfish hypocrites?

I know it's ambitious, but we need a less reticent and more forceful overhaul in curriculum, one mirroring the embracing of gravity and evolution, an academic revolution that integrates the problems of animal ag and the hypocrisy of choosing fossil fuels into its curriculum....this would create better ES students, it would also impress conservative Republican voters, who would then see us as strong and principled, rather than religious jackasses with a manipulative agenda.

This is my main disappointment of college. How I can improve on this, I'd like to know, because this is the source of the problem, in my opinion, even more so than things like commercials and fast food.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou
It's completely do-able, too. I say this because when I was still in L.A. the college there gave us a text book where we did a math exercise of our diet and its impact in "real world" calories - which taught step-by-step how meat is more damaging than dairy, and dairy than a completely vegan diet (only the vegan diet translates almost completely to exact real-world calories, while meat and dairy diets are in excess of their production, like losing money on an investment).

Just like nearly everything I've studied in enviro sci, the technology, even the text books, already exists! It's only politics and money that keeps it from happening. It can be done.

I'd just love to know how because that would be my job if I could do it.