Veganism and my bad experience thus far

Tamsingray89

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Since starting the transition into becomming a vegan i have had unexpected push back and just awful feelings of guilt. I realise now that almost everyone i know has no idea what it means to live cruelty free and they are very misinformed, not that i am an expert in anyway , but i do believe i have a better understanding each day that i follow this lifestyle. Its very hard lately and i am sure alot of you have had the same experience. I hope to support people like me one day and make this a positive experience for others.

Reactions: JoannaM
Can somebody tell me what "push back" is please? I am English and speak 4 other languages but have never heard this term before.

I am so sick of this forum, you all seem to be know it alls and make a person feel like a child . So done with this goodbye im off to happy cow where people treat people like people!

Hated every interaction on here!
I was undermined, someone mocked my intellegence and i was just sad to think if this is what the vegan community is like i dont want any part of it.use i wont be bI found a better forum called Happy Cow where everyone is nice and give you constructive critisim.If i am not deleted from this forum i hope that you all see this and treat the next newbie better. Dont bother bullying me with replies to this be back

Can somebody tell me what "push back" is please? I am English and speak 4 other languages but have never heard this term before.

In this instance it would be a rebound to being mocked.

I am so sick of this forum, you all seem to be know it alls and make a person feel like a child . So done with this goodbye im off to happy cow where people treat people like people!

Hated every interaction on here!
I was undermined, someone mocked my intellegence and i was just sad to think if this is what the vegan community is like i dont want any part of it.use i wont be bI found a better forum called Happy Cow where everyone is nice and give you constructive critisim.If i am not deleted from this forum i hope that you all see this and treat the next newbie better. Dont bother bullying me with replies to this be back

Hello Tasmin, sorry to hear that you feel this way. I've gone through your posts and other responses by other members, I can't say I see them as "bullying". There's much to learn when it comes to veganism, sometimes there's not always a correct answer to everything so you're going to find that others have their own opinions regarding a certain subject, I imagine this may be why you feel bullied? I'm sure whatever responses you received were not intended to be receive this way.

It is slang for resistance or any type of counter force.

Webster: resistance or opposition in response to a policy or regulation especially by those affected.

You can't please everybody. Buh-bye.

BTW I have found the people here supportive, knowledgeable, and very, very nice. If you can't get along with these folks, they might not be the problem. :kissing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lesley
I guess I am not seeing where anyone was mean in the thread? Plant Muncher (I believe) was trying to say that showing results through action (a long, healthy life in this example) is a great way to counteract the push back from others instead of just fighting it out with words.

No one lives 100% cruelty free in a modern society. If you live in a house or apartment, drive a car, use electricity, and even eat veggies from the store, some animals are either being killed or displaced to make this happen. All we can do is try our best to minimize this, which is a big part of this diet for some people.

I guess I am not seeing where anyone was mean in the thread? Plant Muncher (I believe) was trying to say that showing results through action (a long, healthy life in this example) is a great way to counteract the push back from others instead of just fighting it out with words.

No one lives 100% cruelty free in a modern society. If you live in a house or apartment, drive a car, use electricity, and even eat veggies from the store, some animals are either being killed or displaced to make this happen. All we can do is try our best to minimize this, which is a big part of this diet for some people.
Bingo! I didn't think I was being mean.

Sorry you feel offended, Tamsin. I have not seen any instances of bullying or offensive language here but I don't read every post. If I have offended, it was honestly not intentional and I apologise.
On the other hand I do disagree with other people's views sometimes and I see that as healthy debate. Sometimes I change my views as a result of a disagreement, sometimes we have to agree to disagree. It's all part of the learning process. There are no experts here. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and obviously we should be respectful.
I wish you well, whether you go or stay.

Reactions: Tamsingray89
Hi everybody,

I have been vegan for many years (perhaps more than I would care to remember) and have frequently looked in on the forum but never registered.

I feel though that I would like to put in my tuppence worth on this thread.

Forgive me if I do it in a mini-series of postings. That may be unconventional but each one will hopefully not be too long and boring.

Roger.

Hi Mark,

The problem with forums is that postings are often written in haste (hence the prevalence of terrible grammar and spelling errors) but especially in the form of ordinary speech without the facial expressions of verbal conversations. Even emoticons are of little help.

Your “push back” query was perfectly reasonable but was perhaps misinterpreted to be a personal criticism because of such considerations.

So please don’t cut yourself up about it.

Roger.

Hi Plant Muncher,

I have read most of your contributions on the forum and have found them to have been thoughtful and with good intent. Keep up the good work!

Having said that, perhaps the tone of your third post on this thread was not helpful to Tamsin. We can all feel down at times and a little sympathy and understanding can go a long way.

Roger.

Hi Tamsin,

A quote from Oliver Cromwell:

I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken.

The language may be very 17th century but the message is still very much up to date.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Roger.

Hi Roger,

A passable attempt at pouring oil on troubled waters.

But perhaps you could try to be a little less preachy. :confused:

Roger.

Last edited:
Since starting the transition into becomming a vegan i have had unexpected push back and just awful feelings of guilt. I realise now that almost everyone i know has no idea what it means to live cruelty free and they are very misinformed, not that i am an expert in anyway , but i do believe i have a better understanding each day that i follow this lifestyle. Its very hard lately and i am sure alot of you have had the same experience. I hope to support people like me one day and make this a positive experience for others.

If you are still reading replies here, my advice is that you just focus on yourself for now. Don't try and convince too many others about your diet to start with. Just do what you know is best. After some time, for example a year or two, perhaps you will feel more confident and start to feel the need to convince others. You will also be able to lead more by example at a later point, It's good to try and convince others but a resonable very rough general rule may be that if the interations may you emotional they may be worth avoiding (?).

I hope you have a good time elsewhere on the internet. Good luck.

Hi Roger,

A passable attempt at pouring oil on troubled waters.

But perhaps you could try to be a little less preachy. :confused:

Roger.
Boy Roger! You sure are hard on Roger. :grinning: LOL!

You are correct with regard to my tone. I am not trying to offend anyone but as a pragmatist, my tone sometimes comes off as dismissive.