Veganism and dementia

rogerjolly

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Leah Leneman died with dementia several years ago. She had been very active in the vegan movement and wrote several cookery books. The best known of these is “Vegan Cooking for One” which I very highly recommend.
She spent her final years in a care home where her vegan beliefs were not respected.

The current issue of “The Vegan” has a full page advert on the inside back cover. It concerns THE ALL-PARTY PARLIAMENTARY GROUP ON VEGETARIANISM AND VEGANISM and is supported by The Vegan Society and the Vegetarian for Life people.

If you have any experience of seeing people with capacity issues being fed in a way that is against their beliefs then they want to hear from you as part of their evidence collecting. This might also include, say, Muslims being fed pork or Hindus eggs.

Please send your story to https://vegappg.org.uk/call-for-evi...d-philosophical-beliefs-while-eating-in-care/ or call Yasmine on 0161 257 0887. For more info visit https://vegappg.org.uk/

This is a very worthy cause which should concern us all. It is closely related to vegans sometimes expressing the fear when eating out of being hoodwinked because of “Oh, they’ll never notice” or “Oh, I can’t be bothered” attitudes. Except that here the victim is completely powerless.

I do not know if they would be interested in statements from outside the UK but suspect that the broader the picture they have then all the better.

Roger.

Last edited:
Wikipedia says she died of breast cancer twenty years ago and was only in her fifties. Could you possibly mean a different person?

I agree with you though, its sad and unacceptable. All hospitals and jails should have vegan food.

Wikipedia says she died of breast cancer twenty years ago and was only in her fifties. Could you possibly mean a different person?

I agree with you though, its sad and unacceptable. All hospitals and jails should have vegan food.

This is the Leah that I was talking about ; she was both an American born author and a vegan living in Scotland, who wrote several books including
Elsie Inglis: Founder of Battlefield Hospitals Run Entirely by Women. :)

Reactions: Forest Nymph