Vegan Soap

vegan89

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Do you think it's important to buy soap labeled vegan for ordinary handwashing? I think I read somewhere the glycerin in soap comes from animals... so I'm thinking I need to switch to vegan hand soap now... but I just wanted to throw that out there and see what you guys think.

Is there a liquid hand soap brand that is vegan and cheap that you know of? Maybe something I can get bulk amounts of?

If you are near Trader Joe's, their tea trea soap/ shampoo and conditioner are vegan and cruelty free, as well as their laundry and dish soaps.
Otherwise look for castile soaps. Dr. Bonners is liquid castile soap, and comes in a variety of natural scents.

• Agree
Reactions: vegan89 and Lou
Do you think it's important to buy soap labeled vegan for ordinary handwashing? I think I read somewhere the glycerin in soap comes from animals... so I'm thinking I need to switch to vegan hand soap now... but I just wanted to throw that out there and see what you guys think.

Is there a liquid hand soap brand that is vegan and cheap that you know of? Maybe something I can get bulk amounts of?
Most glycerin does come from plants nowadays. And you don't have to spend a lot of money or soap.
I used to always recommend Method for soap. its a cool company. But there are lots of ethically derived soaps the you can buy for less. I do recommnend buying in bulk - not only is it cheaper but it uses less packaging and also there is a lower carbon footprint.
Just look on Amazon to start.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC

I used to use Dr Bronners - I had a foaming soap dispenser and Bronners mixed with water worked great, I forget the proportions, but a 32 oz bottle lasted a long time. I got sick of the scents though. Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe unscented with a good bit of essential oil might be ok. Their unscented stunk to me, peppermint was ok, but you wouldn't want to use it everywhere! Peppermint is really good as a cleaner as it repels most insects and mice
I get bar soap at Dollar tree, called Sugar Soapworks and labeled vegan, it's a big bar
Gotta watch for "tallow", I think any kind is from animals

Kirk's Castile Soap is about $2 each, when you buy the 8-pack: https://www.amazon.com/Kirks-Origin...236001&sprefix=castile+bar+soa,aps,465&sr=8-3 . It is certified vegan.

Per the Vegetarian Resource Groups, glycerin may be sourced from either plants or animals: The Vegetarian Resource Group Blog

Reactions: vegan89
Reactions: Lou