Vegan shampoo for dandruff ?

Alexander009

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hey guys. I need really an affective shampoo against dandruff. I used Jason, Trader Joe’s, Alba botanica didn’t help at all, just felt some changing with my hair.
Maybe you guys know one wich really could help. Thank you.

have you tried using apple cider vinegar along with a shampoo? worked for me :innocent:

I haven't tried apple cider. I think i have some in the frig. How do you use it as a shampoo?

I haven't tried Trader Joe's either.

The next shampoo I was planning on trying was
Maple Holistics Sage Shampoo for Anti Dandruff with Jojoba, Argan, and Organic Tea Tree Oil.
Amazon has it for $11 a bottle.

After ten years of experimenting, I have determined that switching between Jasons and Head and Shoulders works good enough for me.

I haven't tested this out thoroughly but I think it doesn't matter what shampoo is alternated with the Head and Shoulders. It's my impression that the Pyrithione Zinc (ZPT) in the head and shoulders is what does most of dandruff reducing. But I haven't thoroughly tested this hypothesis.

When I was just a teen I went to a dermatologist and was prescribed two shampoos to alternate. One had ZPT in it and the other had selenium sulfide. There are a few shampoos with selenium. Head and Shoulders (Blue) and Selsun blue. I used to use H&S blue.

If I could find an effective vegan dandruff shampoo I would use it all the time. In the meantime, I have compromised. Jason's one day and H&S the next.

I would try the shampoo made by Arbonne! My customers love it and have heard a lot of feedback of it working against dandruff. All of their products are vegan and cruelty free.. definitely worth trying they are life changing. I’d love to hear your thoughts if you do try it out. Consultant Maria Feehan. Goodluck!!

I was at Trader Joe's and remembered about the shampoo recommendation. I checked it out and it was a very good price. plus a bigger bottle than Jason's. So I bought some. Seems pretty potent too. It will take a few days to see how well it does.

I also mixed up a dilute apple cider mixture in a bottle and put it in the shower. I think I'll start off by using it once a week.

This is good. I haven't made any changes in a long time and just using Jason's and H&S wasn't really working.

I thought with that you were supposed to use baking soda first and then rinse with ACV. Also if you do that, you also shouldn't wash your hair every day.

that article didn't mention baking soda. Just a dilute ACV mixture, Once or twice a week.
I just started a few days ago. so far so good.

that article didn't mention baking soda. Just a dilute ACV mixture, Once or twice a week.
I just started a few days ago. so far so good.

Glad it's working. I was thinking of the "no poo" method. I've looked into it because I try to only wash my hair once or twice a week (at least twice is necessary in warmer weather) and no poo is supposed to be very effective for people who only wash their hair once a week, because if you washed you hair every day it would damage it. I'm paranoid though. Not so much about the vinegar but the baking soda, because I have very long hair. I just use a vegan shampoo bar.

https://www.nopoomethod.com/

I have tried the the "no poo" thing. It totally didn't work for me. When I'm home I avoid washing my hair as long as possible. I just bought some argan oil shampoo with no sulfites, cruelly free, vegan... Not for dandruff though. I have to wonder if dandruff isn't an allergic reaction to something... ?

I have tried the the "no poo" thing. It totally didn't work for me. When I'm home I avoid washing my hair as long as possible. I just bought some argan oil shampoo with no sulfites, cruelly free, vegan... Not for dandruff though. I have to wonder if dandruff isn't an allergic reaction to something... ?

40 years ago (as a teen) I saw a dermatologist because of my dandruff. He was almost a "family doctor". He also treated my brother and father. and he prescribed the same extra strength shampoos and a cortisone solution that you put directly on the scalp.

Later on, when I was on my own I couldn't afford the special stuff. But it was basically the same things and in H&S blue and H&S white. just twice as much active ingredients. It never eliminated dandruff but it reduced it to un-embarrassing levels.

Then as I became more concerned with animal cruelty I tried to get off the H&S. Did a bunch of little home experiments and for the last several years I have been alternating between H&S white and Jason's, with reasonable results.

I'm glad we are discussing this. I feel like I have become complacent in this area. And bought my first alternate cruelty-free shampoo in years last week at Trader Joes. Tried the ACV rinse. And ordered another shampoo from Amazon to experiment with. May even go back to Trader Joes and buy their conditioner.

Right now I'm pretty good except for my chin. ( I have a beard). And my chin has always been a problem area. But this hasn't even been a week in the testing. Also, I probably didn't use the ACV rinse on my beard.

Anyway, I don't think dandruff is an allergic reaction. My doctor told me it was a fungus, 40 years ago and that seems to be the medical consensus. Being that my brother and father had it I thought maybe I "caught" it from them. But my mom and sisters are dandruff free. So it is probably something hereditary. Maybe our immune system can't fight off the fungus as well. I also have toenail fungus - which I think I did "catch". but I think that maybe lends some credibility to the immune system theory. My dad had toenail fungus, too.

I found this article just now and it seems to have some really good ideas, too.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152844.php

Reactions: TofuRobot
Anyway, I don't think dandruff is an allergic reaction. My doctor told me it was a fungus, 40 years ago and that seems to be the medical consensus. Being that my brother and father had it I thought maybe I "caught" it from them. But my mom and sisters are dandruff free. So it is probably something hereditary. Maybe our immune system can't fight off the fungus as well. I also have toenail fungus - which I think I did "catch". but I think that maybe lends some credibility to the immune system theory. My dad had toenail fungus, too.

I found this article just now and it seems to have some really good ideas, too.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152844.php

yeah, when I went to my dermatologist to get a mole checked out, she mentioned that my skin was really dry and that my scalp issues were likely fungal related. she prescribed some medicated shampoo that I used for a few months (no way of knowing what was in it though :worried:) but it seemed to work.

Hey guys. I need really an affective shampoo against dandruff. I used Jason, Trader Joe’s, Alba botanica didn’t help at all, just felt some changing with my hair.
Maybe you guys know one wich really could help. Thank you.
I think apple cidar vinegar works wonders! You should try it and comment on here to let us know how it went.

Reactions: mavrick45
Try lush superbalm ......
put it on 30 min before washing your hair
Then wash hair as normal I use lush karma Kamba shampoo bar
It works realy well for me and I had lots of dandruff
I used-to use korres laurel & echinacea shampoo for years
It was very good
Until about 2 yeasrs ago when korres changes the packaging
And it has never worked as good since

Well, for the last 2 years I have been alternating with H&S blue, H&S white, Jason's, and Trader Joe's. It has been really working. I do the ACV on Saturdays.