Vegan Pizza Day June 29th

:eek: I've never seen dry milk listed in a dough recipe before. Usually they consist of flour, yeast, water, and 1/2 tsp each of sugar and salt. What is the purpose of adding dry milk??

I actually had quite a few bread recipes that called for dry milk, back in the day. So I ordered a can of powdered soy milk from the Pangea website when I gave up dairy. :)

I haven't made bread in a long time...I am a lazy girl now. :(

ETA: Oh yeah, there is no purpose for adding dry milk. They just like to torture us.

I missed vegan pizza day. :(
I will have to make a homemade pizza one of these days but I am so lazy! I don't even drag out the bread machine anymore! :D

Reactions: KLS52
We use the breadmaker because it makes dough for two pizzas , very big ones and its easier for us. Plus we don't have too much counter space and work space to do it by hand, so I rather have our breadmaker do it. Our bread maker also can bake a cake and other stuff, i wonder If I should start a thread about bread makers don't wanna hijack the Vegan pizza thread.

Reactions: ledboots
Oh weird... I had vegan pizza yesterday, which is fairly rare for me, but I had no idea it was vegan pizza day!

:) Unfortunately the shop didn't have the super melting cheese, so that wasn't so great (I only really like the cheezly super-melting ones, but other cheezly ones are okay)... but I've really nailed making pizza dough now. I use this recipe (use non-dairy milk) and I roll it out in olive oil, not flour, which I've seen bakers do on TV and it keeps the dough really moist and stops extra flour from drying it out (I've tried it in canola oil... not the same! Olive oil gives flavour too).

Then I use 1/2 tomato puree, 1/2 tomato ketchup with some herbs for the tomato base (just tomato puree was too strong/bitter) and roast the vegetables before they go on the pizza. Yesterday I had aubergine, pepper, onion, garlic and mushrooms.

Reactions: ledboots
I actually had quite a few bread recipes that called for dry milk, back in the day. So I ordered a can of powdered soy milk from the Pangea website when I gave up dairy. :)

I haven't made bread in a long time...I am a lazy girl now. :(

ETA: Oh yeah, there is no purpose for adding dry milk. They just like to torture us.

True. You only need plain water when making bread dough.

I missed Vegan Pizza Day! I was traveling, so maybe I will make up for it later this week. :D. Blackbird Pizza in Philly has the best vegan pizza. I miss that place so much.

Reactions: thefadedone
Not to put a damper on anyone's pizza party, but when you make a pizza vegan by having them leave the cheese off, is anyone making sure the crust is actually vegan, too? :confused:

Not only that, you should ask specifically if ANY ingredient is not vegan friendly. One place I almost ate at used runoff bacon grease as oil for the bottom of the pizza pans. My first reaction was to ask if they would make a pizza without the bacon grease, but the chef thought that was the "signature" flavor of his pizzas and refused. In hindsight, I'm glad he refused because he probably wouldn't have washed the pan and I would have had bacon grease anyways.

Also, it's not a stretch to think they may use egg in the pizza dough or parmesan/romano cheese in tomato sauce. Always ask and make sure they know what vegan means.

Not only that, you should ask specifically if ANY ingredient is not vegan friendly. One place I almost ate at used runoff bacon grease as oil for the bottom of the pizza pans. My first reaction was to ask if they would make a pizza without the bacon grease, but the chef thought that was the "signature" flavor of his pizzas and refused. In hindsight, I'm glad he refused because he probably wouldn't have washed the pan and I would have had bacon grease anyways.

Also, it's not a stretch to think they may use egg in the pizza dough or parmesan/romano cheese in tomato sauce. Always ask and make sure they know what vegan means.

:eek: That shouldn't shock me but yet it does.
I have encountered the cheese in tomato sauce at a couple of local pizzerias.

I'm a little late to the party, but I had a vegan pizza from Little Caesars this evening.

Reactions: PTree15
I'd forgotten about Vegan Pizza day. The staff at the local vegan eatery where we celebrated it last year was on vacation, so I probably wouldn't have celebrated even if I had remembered. I don't like to cook in the hot months unless I have to, and sometimes I do have to- beans from scratch have much less salt than canned, so I cook large batches, let them cool, and freeze portions of them. But even if I didn't want to make pizza dough, I could have gotten a loaf of vegan french bread, sliced it in half, topped it with sauce, vegan cheese, and other toppings, and popped it in my toaster-oven.

SummerRain, ketchup in the sauce for pizza sounds just plain nasty- but I'd like to try it just in case I'm wrong.

Indeed. It's amazing how people just don't make the connection with things like cheese in a sauce or egg in dough.