Vegan on a School Trip

Harley4

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So tomorrow i leave for a 4 day trip. I'll be staying in cabins and they have a cafeteria which is where we will eat everyday. They only serve foods with meat and dairy. We contacted the place and they said that they will make a vegan version of whatever everyone else is eating. I'm concerned that it won't be vegan or that it will end up just being lettuce. I don't like salad, especially since a vegan salad at most places would just be lettuce. I will not have access to a fridge or any way of cooking food. I can only bring 1 small duffel bag so I'm very limited on space but I need enough pre made vegan food that doesn't need to be refrigerated to last 4 days. What can I bring?

I would suggest nut butter sandwiches, protein bars and lots of trail mix. The cafeteria might have fruit as well, so maybe you can at least get that for breakfast. If they have hot water for tea, you could bring instant oatmeal packets and soup mixes (if you can find vegan ones) and mix them with the hot water.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I would suggest nut butter sandwiches, protein bars and lots of trail mix. The cafeteria might have fruit as well, so maybe you can at least get that for breakfast. If they have hot water for tea, you could bring instant oatmeal packets and soup mixes (if you can find vegan ones) and mix them with the hot water.
Thank you so much!

I agree with @PTree15 about the nut butter sandwiches. Even if you just take the nut butter, they will likely have bread available.

The oatmeal and soup mixes are also a good idea, especially noodle soups as extra vegetables can always be added to bulk them up and they are inexpensive. Ramen comes in vegetables and mushroom flavours.

Dates with your trail mix! They will have potatoes for sure so you can ask them to bake them or boil them for you or wrap them in tin foil and put them in the campfire to eat the next morning.

I have confidence that the vegetables and fruits they will have will be edible as long as they understand you are vegan and not vegetarian so therefore please don't add butter!!

Let us know how it goes!

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15
You could also take some pouches of ready cooked grains ( quinoa, brown rice) that have pulses (beans or lentils) plus a small container with vinaigrette. Most supermarkets sell these pre cooked salads.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
You could also take some pouches of ready cooked grains ( quinoa, brown rice) that have pulses (beans or lentils) plus a small container with vinaigrette. Most supermarkets sell these pre cooked salads.

That's a great idea @shyvas - I forgot that is one thing that I travel with, an number of Indian food packages are vegan and they have some rice, and other lentil options too.

Similar to this companies' products. Some are vegetarian and some are vegan.

Emma JC

15755-Indian-Channa-Masala_FOP_3D_Render-350x393.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas and PTree15
I may be being naive again but I think it will be very possible to find vegan foods at a cafeteria.

The one concern that I might have is that they won't have dairy alternatives. So some of those ready packs of non-dairy milk should fit in your duffel. And if they do have non-dairy alternatives you can just take them home. They might even allow you to use their frig.

But even that seems like a non-issue. Even in the US a lot of people are lactose intolerant.

I am 99% sure that if you asked them to make you a PB&J they would.

Cafeterias usually make their oatmeal with water. So oatmeal for breakfast should be a safe bet.

If they are feeding middle school students they will have lots of fruit. and probably no candy bars.

Oh, Hey! is this an "Outdoor Ed" trip? Last time I went on to an Outdoor Ed trip half the "naturalists" were vegan. And there were vegan options at every meal.

Also, there were strict rules about keeping food in the cabins. Although if you were on a special diet you could turn in your food to the cafeteria and they would make it for you.

Reactions: Emma JC