News Vegan News via Reddit

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Well it happened again and as I promised (or threatened) that if it continues to happen I will start a new "Vegan News via Reddit" Thread

Before I get into the news, let me state right here, right now, that I don't take this stuff that seriously. Its not gossip - cause it isn't about celebrities. But its the next best thing. (or worst - depending on your POV.) I do find it interesting and somewhat entertaining, so I feel compelled to share. Plus the stuff is controversial - so I expect that it will encourage some good discussions.

As I mentioned, this has sort of become a trend (or something). Newsweek has reported on vegans in reddit twice recently. I wonder if they have a "Reddit Reporter" on their staff. And Yahoo! News has done it at least once. I'll put some links in another post.

Internet commenters were outraged after one father and husband revealed how his wife's dietary preferences are tearing their family apart.​
Titled, "My wife has become a militant vegan and I can't stand it anymore," the post has received more than 16,500 upvotes and 3,200 comments since August 26.​

Previously I posted about other instances where vegan stories in Reddit got reported on in the mainstream.

Here is one.

I couldn't find my forum post based on Yahoo news but a quick google found all these, too.
And there are even more!!

Well it happened again and as I promised (or threatened) that if it continues to happen I will start a new "Vegan News via Reddit" Thread

Before I get into the news, let me state right here, right now, that I don't take this stuff that seriously. Its not gossip - cause it isn't about celebrities. But its the next best thing. (or worst - depending on your POV.) I do find it interesting and somewhat entertaining, so I feel compelled to share. Plus the stuff is controversial - so I expect that it will encourage some good discussions.

As I mentioned, this has sort of become a trend (or something). Newsweek has reported on vegans in reddit twice recently. I wonder if they have a "Reddit Reporter" on their staff. And Yahoo! News has done it at least once. I'll put some links in another post.

Internet commenters were outraged after one father and husband revealed how his wife's dietary preferences are tearing their family apart.​
Titled, "My wife has become a militant vegan and I can't stand it anymore," the post has received more than 16,500 upvotes and 3,200 comments since August 26.​

I read this, it seemed so very convoluted! These aren't problems of veganism, it's a people problem. Insert other change for vegan--religion, fitness, cleanliness--and you have the same drama. I hate when articles make it out to be because of veganism

Reactions: Brian W and Lou
Wow, an awful lot of jerks out there. If you're the one who's changed you either do the best to find compromise, or realize you need to move on

Reactions: Andy_T
We may want to keep score. It does seem like there is a slant towards crazy vegans. but not always.
the "bride to be" story is sympathetic to vegans.

Again don't take this stuff too seriously. I mostly find it interesting that Reddit stories about vegans are regularly appearing in Newsweek.

It happened again. Got me thinking... is this like a regular thing in Newsweek. Do they have a reporter scouring reddit for news. Even if they do, it seems like there is a heavy slant towards vegans in the "Am I an *******?" subreddit

Anyway....

Now OneGreenPlanet has picked up the story

I'm not sure if this is a trend or even if it means anything. My news feeder will put articles in the feed if it looks like they interest me. so the more often I click on vegan stories in Reddit, the more vegan stories in Reddit show up in my newsfeed. However they Have to be Out There somewhere for them to show up.

Anyway, I'm not sure this is a newsworthy story.

I think we all agree that Laura was TA.

• Agree
Reactions: silva
I read quite a few of those Reddit "Am I the ...?" George Takei always posts some wild ones in his newsletter which I subscribe to. I have seen the vegan ones. I find them interesting! There are some crazy people!

Reactions: Andy_T and Lou
I haven't experienced any big negativity or ridicule about my diet either. People sometimes ask the standard questions about protein for example, but I have never been laughed at or tricked into eating something.

Reactions: PTree15 and Blues
Interesting 🤔 I have really had any problems as well . I have found many go out their way if I am invited for a meal .

I can't figure out what why Newsweek keeps reporting stories from Reddit. It's not like they are actually news. Maybe they need to get their own Dear Abbey.
Here we go again .

James Cameron said he was "seething" after finding out about the dolphin show

EXCERPT:

“I got handed a schedule that showed, as my first of 6 stops of the day, a fan event at an aquarium. I was visualising something like the Monterey Bay Aquarium, with its great science and conservation programs. There was zero mention of a dolphin show. I literally found out there was a dolphin show AS we were walking out on stage. We were already out in the lights and fans were cheering.“I said something snide on-mike like, ‘I’m sure the dolphins were all asked for their consent to be part of the show’ or something like that. I was seething. But I didn’t want to create a big public incident. Maybe I should have, in retrospect. But my instinct is always to meet people where they are. Which is the whole point of Avatar: The Way of Water. To shift consciousness.”

-------

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Blues
My main reason to not follow Reddit is that many of the posts there seem to come from people who have a very short attention span, and contribute single-word answers every 20 seconds.

Honestly, I would not expect many of those to be very open to veganism.

My main reason to not follow Reddit is that many of the posts there seem to come from people who have a very short attention span, and contribute single-word answers every 20 seconds.

Honestly, I would not expect many of those to be very open to veganism.
Maybe they are short. but sometimes the comments are very creative. and LOL funny.

This is the best thing I have ever learned from Reddit. This store is sort of near me. I actually drive by San Bruno a few times a month.

Check out the slide show!!

passed nearby on my way home and got a car wash, and a free soft serve ice cream (Oatly). The convience store was an education. Fresh donuts, fresh pastries, soft serve ice cream. They have oat milk dispensers next to the coffee. Frozen dinners, canned foods plus all kinds of candy. Some of the stuff they had I didn't know was vegan. Some of the vegan stuff I had never seen in any other stores.

I was not super impressed with the carwash but next time I'm in the neighborhood I'll stop by for coffee and donuts.
oh, I should have takes some pictures inside. but here are some pictures outside.

IMG_2570.jpeg

IMG_2571.jpeg

IMG_2572.jpeg

Reactions: Chryssie