Vegan kitten 4 months old now...1 month fed vegan thriving.

Vegan Dogs

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
rescue kitten of a very small mother. she is very human friendly like my "shadow" more than my 2 dogs lol.

i feed her ami cat kibble and coconut milk she wants to eat anything she sees me eating...got vegekit supplements to make home made soon now...more kitten focused diet.

harbringers of a new age ...compassion circle do the vegekit supplement power and have recepies for kittens..

they also of course do puppies and dogs and cats supplements and recepies

http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html

vegan-information.com/Vegan_Rescue_Kitten_New_Little_Tyke_Midnight_Hannukah_Capricorn.html

P1270619_1400x1050.JPG P1270620_1400x1050.JPG P1270650_1400x1050.JPG P1270648_1400x1050.JPG P1270643_1400x1050.JPG P1270640_1400x1050.JPG P1270636_1400x1050.JPG P1270621_1400x1050.JPG P1270645_1400x1050.JPG P1270620_1400x1050.JPG P1270619_1400x1050.JPG P1270619_1400x1050.JPG P1270620_1400x1050.JPG P1270645_1400x1050.JPG P1270621_1400x1050.JPG P1270636_1400x1050.JPG P1270640_1400x1050.JPG P1270643_1400x1050.JPG P1270648_1400x1050.JPG P1270650_1400x1050.JPG

i feed her ami cat kibble

I do not believe in feeding cats any kibble at all. Only canned (wet) food is acceptable to give to a cat. I got that from this website: catinfo.org. Feeding a cat kibble (dry food) can lead to painful urinary tract obstructions which prevent a cat from being able to pee, leading to death. This is more likely to happen in a male than a female, due to males having a more narrow urinary tract. But kibble is unhealthy for females anyway, because water is the most important nutrient, and cats have evolved to get most of their water from food. They do not have a strong impulse to drink because evolution has trained them to get most of their water from the bodily fluids of their prey. So if dry kibble and a separate water dish are all that is available to them, they will live their lives in a dehydrated, unhealthy state.

Also, after finding catinfo.org about 6 years ago, and being influenced by it, I started going to the pet stores to buy the higher quality canned cat foods for my cats. These foods, such as the American brands Merrick and Wellness, have meat, not meat by-products, as the main ingredients. I believe that this meat can be used for human consumption, for purposes such as soups, so after going vegan a three years ago, I stopped buying the 'good stuff' and started buying the brands of cat food that are sold in the grocery stores.

The way it works in America is that if you want the higher quality foods, usually, you have to go to a pet supplies store, because the regular cat food that is sold in the grocery stores, such as Friskies and Fancy Feast, have meat by-products as the main ingredient, as opposed to meat.

I am operating under the principle that no animals are being slaughtered to produce this lower quality food. The animals are slaughtered to produce food for humans and leftover parts of the animals that are unfit for human consumption go into cheap cat food. One advantage of buying this food as opposed to vegan cat food is that I do not have to worry about the pH. Vegan cat food is too alkaline and if you use it you have to get urine acidifiers for your cats, or else they will get bladder crystals and kidney problems, apparently.

When Bond Pet Foods cultured cat food or some similar clean meat cat food comes out, I'm going to buy it, in cans. Until then, I'm going to continue to feed my cats the cheap, grocery store variety, meat by-product canned foods, unless I hear some compelling argument for why I shouldn't. Like I said, to the best of my knowledge, farm animals aren't dying specifically to produce this food. So I don't see an ethical problem there. The only reason I can see for giving vegan cat food to my cats is the "meat of unknown origin" problem. For instance, they will sometimes find trace amounts of barbiturates in cat food, and it is suspected that this is because euthanized dogs and cats from veterinarians' offices made it into the food, as well as other contaminants. Stuff like that makes a more compelling argument for making the switch to vegan cat food, but I have yet to find a reliable source of information on that problem.

Given the risks, such as the alkalinity of vegan cat food, what is your main reason for feeding it to your cat and why would you not feed her canned food made from meat by-products?

Reactions: angeliccharm8
According to this article, animals are killed with the specific intent of making pet food out of them, so I was wrong in the way I phrased that, but they aren't bred for that purpose. In the case of chickens used, what creates the demand for the life/death cycles is people buying eggs, not cat food.

Recently the promoters of Evolution Pet Food, “Premium Vegan Pet Foods since 1989,” urged me to “start telling people that baby male chicks and spent layer hens are being ground up alive by the millions every day for pet foods. They are the ‘chicken’ in pet foods throughout the U.S. and Canada.” (1)

Two of my best friends are Veterinarians. One works as the lead doctor in one of the largest no kill shelters in the country. The other works in private practice. We have had this conversation several times before.

I started out in private practice then eventually moved to the large kill shelter my veterinarian friend works at. Despite us here being vegan it does not change the fact that some animals are predators by nature. A predator needs high amounts of animal protein and fat to survive. Cat's specifically would naturally get their plant sources from the gut of their prey. On rare occasion would they actually eat plant matter. The most common diseases in cats in the animal health care industry is obesity and diabetes first followed by dental and urinary disease then cancer. This is due to people feeding cats a poor diet.

Let me repeat. The disease found in domesticated animals today is due to an unnatural diet consisting of processed foods with high carbohydrate content made by humans in a lab.
We have domesticated the animal, not their biological makeup.

Your cat might not have symptoms yet, but if you continue feeding your cat a processed vegan diet without supplementation, I assure you, there will be medical bills in the future. You cannot make a decision for your cat about what it should eat. Animals do not think that way. You are better off not feeding your cat anything and giving it full access to the outdoors so it can catch and kill its own prey.

There are many videos and informative websites backing this up if simple logic isn't enough for you.

About a third of the meat produced in the U.S. goes toward feeding cats and dogs:
https://www.treehugger.com/pets/cats-dogs-meat-environmental-impact-in-US.html

Moreover, cats are extremely destructive to wildlife: they are driving certain bird species extinct:
https://abcbirds.org/program/cats-indoors/cats-and-birds/

The last point above would suggest that cats should be kept indoors, but anyone who has seen a cat who lives in a small apartment would see how miserable the poor animal is. Ideally, in a vegan world there would be no pets. If you absolutely have to have a pet, at the very least make sure it is spayed or neutered. Never buy a pet from a breeder.

All that being said, feeding a cat vegan food is cruel. Cats don't have the same digestive system that we do. Unlike humans, who evolved eating an almost completely plant-based diet, cats evolved hunting and eating small animals. If you have a cat, you have to feed it meat. Hopefully, one day, lab-grown meat will resolve this dilemma.

Spinach which is high in calcium oxalate causes urinary problems in carnivores. Not kibble per se. Kibble with spinach in it. I've witnessed this with my family's cat when they tried "natural" cat food with meat and veggies in it. The cat developed oxalate crystals in the bladder.

My cat eats wet food, dry food and will hunt but not hurt anything he brings back. My previous cat was the same. Hunting is natural, but these are domesticated animals and do not need to hunt for food, it's just in their nature. He will stalk something in the house in the same way. As long as fresh water is always available the cat will drink if it eats dry food, and not drink if it has wet food. Some cats will have medical problems, many will not. Maybe the lack of available fresh water is the problem, not the dry food.

Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning they must consume meat in order to survive and thrive.

As a cat owner, it is my responsibility to take good care of him - get him to the vet, brush him, play with him, love him, and feed him the correct diet for his species. Yes, it's hard to swallow being a vegan knowing I am off-handedly contributing the the cruelty of animals when I buy meat-based cat food. BUT, that cat's welfare is my responsibility - I took it, so I need to treat him right.

Whenever it is he passes, I will have a serious conversation with myself about ever having another cat knowing what that means in the larger aspect of animal welfare.

Two of my best friends are Veterinarians. One works as the lead doctor in one of the largest no kill shelters in the country. The other works in private practice. We have had this conversation several times before.

I started out in private practice then eventually moved to the large kill shelter my veterinarian friend works at. Despite us here being vegan it does not change the fact that some animals are predators by nature. A predator needs high amounts of animal protein and fat to survive. Cat's specifically would naturally get their plant sources from the gut of their prey. On rare occasion would they actually eat plant matter. The most common diseases in cats in the animal health care industry is obesity and diabetes first followed by dental and urinary disease then cancer. This is due to people feeding cats a poor diet.

Let me repeat. The disease found in domesticated animals today is due to an unnatural diet consisting of processed foods with high carbohydrate content made by humans in a lab.
We have domesticated the animal, not their biological makeup.

Your cat might not have symptoms yet, but if you continue feeding your cat a processed vegan diet without supplementation, I assure you, there will be medical bills in the future. You cannot make a decision for your cat about what it should eat. Animals do not think that way. You are better off not feeding your cat anything and giving it full access to the outdoors so it can catch and kill its own prey.

There are many videos and informative websites backing this up if simple logic isn't enough for you.

Well said!

The urinary health problems many cats get are a species genetic defect in cats generally. on this link i provide links to studies which found WILD CATS meaning lions and tigers had 74 percent uti and kidney health problems..on their flesh diets ! so it is a fallacy to think or claim vegan catfood is more risky than this. a HUGE percentage of flesh fed domestic cats get uti and kidney health problems including crystals. fact.

water is an important matter...the PH of it has to be right and many bottled even tap waters are not right. water filters help this greatly. plenty links here. ps many long lived healthy vegan cats around. http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html

1 year old healthy thriving vegan now adult cat update. continuously fed passed approved appropriate for cats vegan catfood ami mostly somtimes home made compassion circle recipes. drinks well. just had spay operation to reduce torture of being on heat and prevented from reproducing as an animal wants to do naturally but us humans want to reduce domestic cat species that are unnatural invasive animals and not part of any natural ecosystem.

Picture includes day of operation...recovery excellent no groggyness.

Blood tested healty also in detail. so no excuse to pretend a cat is unhealthy or does not thrive on a vegan diet.A VEGAN 1 YEAR OLD BLACK CAT.JPG SUNP0040_800x600.JPG SUNP0119_800x600.JPG SUNP0093_800x600.JPG SUNP0021_800x600.JPG SUNP0097_800x600.JPG SUNP0106_800x600.JPG spayed 1 year old vegan cat eating on return from operation.JPG