Vegan diet and diabetes

I have been on a strict vegan diet for 3 months. Just had an A1C test. No improvement. What gives?
Hey there :wave:
Saying 'vegan diet' doesn't imply anything but no animal products, so I don't know!
You need a whole plant food diet--no processed sugar, minimal to no oils. Think of it a nothing good removed from the food, nothing bad added.
Grains with nothing but the inedible hull removed

How are you planning meals now? On any medication?

Thanks Silva,
I excluded all animal products, but didn't shun a little processed sugar. I also ate a lot of vegetable oil margarine to replace butter. Ate mostly whole grains, but some processed flour products. A1C is holding at pre-diabetes level (6.2), but edged over the 6.5 diabetes threshold on two occasions in the past. I've been a meat-eater for 80 years, so maybe I should be more patient for an improvement. I do feel better on a vegan diet; fewer aches and pains and effortless weight control. I am about to read the link you provided. Thank you for your response and advise.

This article says that high blood sugar can make our bones weaker. The authors used some cultured human cells to show that an omega-3 fatty acid called DHA helped to protect against this.
DHA is good for other things, too. If you are interested in talking to your doctor(s) about adding it to your supplements, a quick internet search for vegan dha should give you a few options.

I can tell you what my wife's experience was. Diagnosed with an A1C about 9.5, glucose level in the 230's. She also has some neuropathy in her foot, that at the time she didn't mention. First diagnosed 9 years ago with her Medicare wellness check up. Initially we did what the dietician and doctor recommended. She was on oral medication and we watched the carb intake as recommended. She did get her A1C down in the 6.6- 7 range, I don't remember exactly. That took about a year and on medications. Counting carbs also resulted in calorie restriction so she did loose some weight.

About 18 months later after having my own cardiac health problems I was looking for recipes I encountered the plant based folks which also lead to vegan dietary results in type 2 diabetics and neuropathy. I asked her if she'd like to try low fat vegan for 2 weeks and see if it helped. I was going to see if I could do it for 2 weeks. About a year later she was off all her meds and had a slight improvement in the numbness in her foot. Her A1C is usually 4.9-5 and her fasting glucose is in the 80's. She is still vegetarian, mostly eats a vegan low fat diet because 7 years later, I still eat a vegan low fat diet.

By mostly vegetarian I mean she has some cheese on her pasta maybe 3-4 times a year, and I know she's had some milk chocolate, but that's it.

I can go into a whole lot more detaisl if you're interested. Please keep in mind this is just our story. Amoung her siblings 2 developed type 2, one of which suffered tremendously before her death ( motovational factor) and the other is managing ok, but her numbers are still in the diabetic range. She's an omnivore. Two of her other sisters never developed diabetes, and had active lifestyles. This is good evidence that in my wife's instance it was a life style result.

Now some questions. What are you eating now? Are you overweight? Do you test your blood glucose? Are you on other medications? Do you have a family history of diabetes?

I think a good place to start would be a discussion about what you actually eat now.

All the best, Bob

Inspiring post, Bob Who.

I think the important thing to point out for the OP is that there isn't just 1 vegan diet. Going vegan isn't enough to control type 2 diabetes. The diet needs to be rich in bulk ( fiber and water ), a diet centered around whole grains, legumes, and non-starchy vegetables.

I've known many who've brought type 2 diabetes under control with a plant based diet--few that stick with it though. The two that have have completely reversed their diabetes, both had been on medication and no longer need it. Same with high blood pressure
It is wrong to just state "vegan diet" as a whole food plant based diet is what is needed.

Hi, @Sasquatch -

I was found to be prediabetic at my general checkup recently (no surprise- it runs in my family, and I was starting to cut back on sweet things over the past year because I was concerned about it).

I'm no expert about this stuff (yet- I'm learning fast), but evidently hba1c changes somewhat slowly over time. Also, vegan diets can still be high in refined carbs (as others have mentioned above).

Edited to add: I just pasted one of the first links I found from googling. A different website (e.g., one devoted to diabetes control and treatment) might have been better- but I think the one I included has correct information. As I understand it, diabetes usually develops over a long period of time, although blood glucose levels can change quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: bEt