Vegan cheese?

For me and my family, having a bit of fake cheese on the food is a once in a while flavoring, no one is looking for great nutritional value.
If you're only eating small amounts "once in a while" then the lack of nutritional value isn't going to matter much, same goes with cookies, candy, etc. But, at least from what I see, the average vegan eats them more than "once in a while".

I can understand it being baffling to someone who eats dairy, as I used to be a lacto ovo vegetarian and would not have thought of eating vegan cheeses. In fact, I was vegan for years before I tried a cruelty-free cheese that I liked.
I never said its baffling and I largely avoid dairy foods. Anyhow I was merely stating my preference, namely that I largely avoid foods with poor nutritional value, and that I wish the manufactures of vegan food would focus more on the nutritional value of their products. Most of the nut-based "cheeses" have reasonable nutritional value.

my diet is exceedingly nutrient-rich and my ~3000 calorie a day intake leaves plenty of room for a bit of vegan cheese (or a glass or two of vino -- truly empty calories).
I wasn't making any commentary on your diet in particular, but sure, if you consume a lot of calories you're going to have more room for empty calories. But the vast majority of people have more moderate calorie needs to maintain a normal body mass. Wine is nutritious compared to some vegan cheese!

obviously vegan cheese should not be a major source of caloric intake but, imo, it's perfectly acceptable as a treat or flavoring agent in a well-planned diet.
I think this depends on the type of "cheese", and that was my point, the nut-based usually have reasonable nutritional value while the oil-based ones are empty calories. I don't think they should be grouped together which is why I don't like calling them all "cheese". Nut-butters and nut derived products are fairly nutritious.