shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
1621150884353.png
Dana Ellyn

“I became a vegetarian in 2001 and a vegan in 2013. It was this shift from vegetarianism to veganism that influenced my art to start focusing primarily on the issues of animal rights.
I have consistently been a champion of veganism through my art. I have always been a narrative painter and each painting has a story to tell.
My underlying message throughout is ‘Why do we love some animals and eat others?’

Veganism inspires my art, it is my passion.”

1621151089625.png

Caroletta (Art & Almonds)

“Children eat their favourite little sausages without even knowing what is inside. They can’t make the connection between the meat on their plates and the animal that this piece of dead flesh once was. Most adults have forgotten – or never known – this either.

Because the animals are invisible. Their killing takes place behind closed doors. With the painted series “About Meat” I want to give a face to the invisible carnism in our society. I want to illustrate this completely absurd way of thinking and I’m still far from finished.”

Reactions: Brian W
1621151216080.png

Philip Mcculloch-Downs

“I’ve been creative all my life, but it wasn’t until 2014 that I finally combined my training as an artist, my vegan lifestyle and the information I’d learned from working in the Animal Rights sector and decided to become an Artivist.
I wanted to use my artistic and writing skills to help reveal the hidden truths at the heart of our farming industries, and to shine a light on the very worst aspects of what almost all of us would choose to ignore.

By using the unique qualities of art I want to treat the innocent victims of our cruelty with dignity and compassion. And by doing so, allow the viewer to feel empathy and pity, and to realise that each of these exploited creatures is an individual with character, thoughts and emotions.”

1621151451944.png

Chantal Poulin Durocher

“May my talent be used to give tribute to all our sisters and brothers, the non-human animals, who suffer so much because of our greed , ignorance and lack of compassion. May eyes open towards their own individuality, sensibility, intelligence and desire not to suffer, just like us.

May all beings be well, free and happy is my dearest desire.”

1621152625529.png

Jo Frederiks

“I believe art has the power to move people and inspires them to search their own morals and ethical stance towards nonhuman animals. Art reaches people where graphic photographs or the written word cannot.

Art is and should be a mechanism for social awareness and a platform for the demonstration of what the single mind can do to change the world.”

1621156249536.png

Pigeons-Hartmut Kewert

“Since 2008 I have been living as a vegan and dealing with the human-animal relationship in my artworks. My paintings are imaginations of a human-animal-relationship that seems unusual and new at first glance yet could still be possible: Utopian depictions of so called “farm animals” and other animals free from the boundaries of the human-made architecture of exploitation and put into different contexts. The goal is to show a respectful human-animal relationship on an equal footing.

I want to evoke a perception of non-human animals which is not shaped by the will to dominate them but to recognize them as relatives and subjects of their own life.”

1621156991319.png
Andrew Tilsey

“I believe that the problematic, inconsistent relationship that humans have with other animals is the most important issue affecting all of us today. The way that many people disregard even the basic sentience of non-human animals, and actively debase anything which is ‘different’ to them, is the platform from which all abuse and exploitation is justified – including the mistreatment of other humans.
We are living in so-called civilised and enlightened times, yet, despite the efforts of the few, we are continuing to destroy everything which is natural and beautiful at an ever increasing pace. Overall, populations of wild animals have halved in the last decade, with more and more species being added to lists of the endangered. And this, at a time when awareness of conservation issues is greater than ever before.

I would like my artwork to engender a sense of humility, to encourage people to examine how comfortable they are with the way they treat other species. Humans aren’t better or superior to other animals; indeed, as humans are the only species to routinely practise genocide, warfare, sexual abuse and environmental destruction, a very good argument could be made that we are the inferior ones.”

Andrew, vegan artist and biologist
You are being redirected...

1621236136517.png

1621236349861.png

Twyla Francois

A farmed animal cruelty investigator for over a decade, Twyla Francois’ work has been the focus of a number of documentaries and has led to the closure of facilities, animal cruelty convictions, and corporate animal welfare policy reforms.

“All of my work – investigative and artistic – seeks to challenge our basic beliefs about farmed animals and foster a sense of compassion for all animals,” says Francois.
Through her art, Francois has opened the hearts and minds of many to the power of their food choices to create a kinder world.

1629487531713.png

Jenny of the Titanic by Artist Celia Pike

There is a story, pieced together from eyewitness accounts, about a remarkable cat called Jenny and her friendship with a young scullion called Jim Mulholland. Both were on board the Titanic during the ship’s sailing trials prior to her ill-fated maiden voyage.
Violet Jessop, a stewardess who survived the tragic sinking of the ship, later wrote in her memoirs that “Jenny, the ship’s cat and part of the crew, had immediately picked herself a comfortable corner.” Jenny went on to give birth to kittens and Violet said she “laid her family near Jim whose approval she always sought and who gave her a warm devotion.”
Shortly before the Titanic set sail from Southampton, observers noticed a cat carrying her kittens, one by one, down the gangplank, off the ship and on to the quay.
There are reports that Jim was watching Jenny closely, saying “that cat knows something”. He quickly made the most fortunate decision to follow her example, packed his belongings and left the ship himself!

Reactions: Brian W and PTree15