Vegan and Vegetarian Icon set, Help me choose!

Osama Damarany

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hi!,
I want to design an icon set for Vegans, Lacto-vegetarians and Ovo-lacto vegetarian, but I'm quite new to the vegetarian community, so I'm not sure what to do ... . If it's not so much trouble for you, I'd like to know what do you think about the concepts I came up with.

I'm thinking of two ideas right now:
  1. Leaf-based set: one tree leaf for vegans, 2 for lacto-vegetarians, 3 for Ovo-lacto vegetarians. The concept is that lactovegetarians add diary products to their system, so that's the 2nd leaf. The same with the Ovo-lacto vegetarians, as they add eggs and diary products.
  2. A V-based set: This one is simple, V for vegans, V+ for lacto-vegetarians, and V++ for Ovo-lacto vegetarians.
---

So, What do you think? Are they good? Stupid? You have better thoughts?

I like the leaf idea, it would show up more clearly. Maybe make the leaves different colours so that it would be immediately apparent that there were more than one. If going on a product it needs to be very clear for those of us who need reading glasses. If the leaves were a bit blurry, at least the colour might make the information easier to understand. Maybe green for the vegan, yellow for the pus, sorry lacto- and red for the ovo, you sometimes get red in eggs.

It would be better than the vegan V as I never remember which is black and which is white, or even that they were different colours until I saw them on this forum. I always have to get out my glasses to see if it says vegetarian or vegan.

Good for you.:)

Reactions: Osama Damarany
Vegan - leaf with a 'v' inside
Beegan - honey comb with 'v' inside
Lacto vegetarian - milk bottle with 'v' inside
Ovo vegetarian - egg with 'v' inside
Lacto-ovo vegetarian - egg with 'v' inside (all inside a milk bottle)

Your three leaf and + sign ideas are a bit convoluted, and they are not immediately clear.

Or if you went for Sally's colour-scheme idea you could use:

Vegan - light green leaf with 'vegan'
Beegan - honey-comb leaf
Lacto vegetarian - white leaf
Ovo vegetarian - egg shell or yolk-coloured leaf (I would pattern it to make it clear)
Lacto-ovo vegetarian - dark green leaf with 'veggie' or 'vegetarian'

I understand using pale yellow and red for 'pus' and 'eggs' but, even if it's just vegetarian, I don't think icon schemes should act like strong deterrents. We don't want to put people off and we all have to start from somewhere :)

Reactions: Osama Damarany
Thanks @Sally , I liked the coloured leafs idea, thanks for colour suggestions.

If going on a product it needs to be very clear for those of us who need reading glasses.

Actually, they will be icons for a website, so if you have some suggestions about how they should look on screens, I'd be very grateful.

One more thing!, because of some UX research, we decided to make one icon for all vegetarian diets as a main category, because we have some more like ( Halal 'for moslems' - Kosher 'for jews' - etc... ).
And for more details like (sugar free - vegan - egg free - ovo lacto vegtarian - etc...), we decided to enable them via tags.

How do you like that idea? If you like it, What do you think the proper icon for vegetarians should be?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks @winter.frost , I liked the symbols with V inside them concept! :), maybe I can combine that with your 2nd idea, by adding colours to each icon.

I understand using pale yellow and red for 'pus' and 'eggs' but, even if it's just vegetarian, I don't think icon schemes should act like strong deterrents. We don't want to put people off and we all have to start from somewhere :)

No, It's not just vegetarian. Thanks for enlightening me about that issue, I wasn't even aware of it, this can prevent future conflicts between people, So I'll make sure that I don't use those colours.

One more thing!, because of some UX research, we decided to make one icon for all vegetarian diets as a main category, because we have some more like ( Halal 'for moslems' - Kosher 'for jews' - etc... ).
And for more details like (sugar free - vegan - egg free - ovo lacto vegtarian - etc...), we decided to enable them via tags.

How do you like that idea? If you like it, What do you think the proper icon for vegetarians should be? I did ask Sally, but I want to hear your opinion as well,

Thanks again.

Hi Osama

I don't think the colours would offend, as if you were not vegan they would not mean anything, and probably not even then. I just thought of it as being a nice clear colour difference between the various kinds of vegetarian. Personally I associate blue with meat. What icon will you use for the meat, a leaf doesn't seem right?

Hi @Sally ,

Actually I haven't decided a specific icon for meat in my design, yet! :D. But I guess anything that doesn't have the vegetarian icon or any vegetarian tags can have meat, right?

Or I can use an icon for the omnivore diet, if that diet refers to people who eat meat, or again we can rely on tags for that, as I said earlier, I haven't decided yet. Thanks again for notifying me about that issue.