Using Food Scraps

Thanks for sharing what you know. I'm not sure how I feel about vinegar flies, but I appreciate your willingness to discuss it.

Also, kudos to you for making peach wine! I didn't know that was a thing. My grandmother made muscadine and blackberry wine, but I guess we were too far north for peach wine to be a thing. I love learning new things!

You can make wine from any fruit as it is the fermentation process that is essentiel. My mum used to make bramble berry wine as the fruit was plentiful back in the old days. :D

Some people make elderflower wine and apple wine which is quite popular in the UK.

You can make wine from any fruit as it is the fermentation process that is essentiel. My mum used to make bramble berry wine as the fruit was plentiful back in the old days. :D

Some people make elderflower wine and apple wine which is quite popular in the UK.

My mum used to make wine from raspberries, rhubarb and tea. I was very young at the time but she always let me have a small glass. It was delicious!

My mum used to make wine from raspberries, rhubarb and tea. I was very young at the time but she always let me have a small glass. It was delicious!

I also remember many family members making wine from fruit. I think that perhaps it was also much cheaper than buying wine made from grapes. I don't actually remember them drinking wine (except for Babycham) :D even on special occasions.

Reactions: Val
Dinner leftovers that are not enough on their own to make a full portion usually get repurposed as nacho, potato or salad toppings. Leftover fresh produce goes to my rabbits, if it's on their safe list. We very rarely ever need to toss any food due to spoilage. I'll occasionally select the next week's recipes based on whatever we have leftover or an excess of on hand to use up. Keeps the grocery list shorter for sure!

🤔It just dawned on me why Dr Caldwell Esselstyn author of "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" recommends balsamic and rice vinegars, but I haven't heard him mention apple cider. Perhaps because foods with a face or a mother are strictly prohibited on the diet?

🤔It just dawned on me why Dr Caldwell Esselstyn author of "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" recommends balsamic and rice vinegars, but I haven't heard him mention apple cider. Perhaps because foods with a face or a mother are strictly prohibited on the diet?
How does apple cider vinegar have a face or a mother? (or were you joking because the clump of bacteria that makes vinegar is called the "mother"?) I is le confuzzled...

How does apple cider vinegar have a face or a mother? (or were you joking because the clump of bacteria that makes vinegar is called the "mother"?) I is le confuzzled...
Yes, I was joking. I'm like that sometimes.

Reactions: KLS52
Yes, I was joking. I'm like that sometimes.

I did have to ask, as there is a user here who thinks that vinegar is made when a "vinegar fly" encounters/dies-in old wine. Also, this is a very "Star Trek Voyager" time for VeganForum; two crews from two different "ships" pressed together, so we have not gotten to meet all of each other (and our quirks) yet.

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Also, this is a very "Star Trek Voyager" time for VeganForum; two crews from two different "ships" pressed together, so we have not gotten to meet all of each other (and our quirks) yet.

Says the complete moron known as SapphireLightning, who apparently joined VEGGIEVIEWS in 2016, and then forgot about it, and now sees that my join date here (in 2019) has been updated to reflect that I was a past Veggieviews member... *Face hoof*. Also, I think my avatar changed to the one I used there as well....

• Haha
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
SapphireLightning,

One of my favorite quotes is from Linda Ellerbee, " If you want to know, just ask."

Not really as once it's opened, it will oxidize. To turn wine into vinegar a 'mother of vinegar' needs to be added. I think that if you just leave wine lying around once opened it will spoil.

I am using vacuum "wine savers" ... they consist of rubber corks with valves in them and a corresponding pump with which you can evacuate the air from the bottle. There are two versions, a vacuum version for wine, and a pressure version for sparkling vine.

I am using vacuum "wine savers" ... they consist of rubber corks with valves in them and a corresponding pump with which you can evacuate the air from the bottle. There are two versions, a vacuum version for wine, and a pressure version for sparkling vine.

They don't work. Moreover, the point I was trying to make, is that it's handy to have a spoon or two of wine on hand, hence freezing it.

They don't work. Moreover, the point I was trying to make, is that it's handy to have a spoon or two of wine on hand, hence freezing it.

My personal experience is they work fine to keep the wine for a day or two, if I do not consume the whole bottle in one go.
(I decant some of the wine and vacuum the rest of it immediately)

Not longer, however.

My personal experience is they work fine to keep the wine for a day or two, if I do not consume the whole bottle in one go.
(I decant some of the wine and vacuum the rest of it immediately)

Not longer, however.

Please read :

Off course the wine will keep even by just replacing the cork :confused: . However, once the bottle is open and air is introduced, it will oxidize, hence change the taste.
I actually find it far better to put any leftover wine into small bottles and store them in the fridge.Still not the perfect solution, but I can't drink a whole bottle.:confounded:

Even people who have partners/husbands/other, don't always drink the same tipple so this tip may also help them. Strange when I come to think of it, but none of the people(couples) that I visit drink the same tipple.:D

Watermelon rind works well, not unlike zucchini, in stir fries. I tried it now a few times. I'll never waste water melon rind again.

I've made 4 or 5 types of homemade from scratch vinegar. The fruit flies don't seem to help or present hurdles for it. There are bacteria on the fruits surface that will help ferment it to make alcohol, then vinegar. I've let two kinds of red wine go to vinegar, took almost 3 months, they were covered in cheese cloth. And for gallons of vinegar, I've made pear scrap vinegar and nectarine scrap vinegar (both during canning season using the flesh for jars of fruit spread). They take 2.5-3 months. I cover them in towels stir daily, seal them with string around the towels on top.

For variety, infused vinegar is another option. Pineapple cores in vinegar give it a lift. Chive flowers in vinegar make it pink and chive-y. On mother earth news there is a 'fire vinegar' with onions, peppers, garlic, ginger, more spices, infused for a month, then strained, we call it fire vinegar, it's a little spicy mostly garlic-y.

Nectarine vinegar.
vinegar-001.jpg

Variety.
vinegar-dehydrated-foods-007.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Lou