Urban Decay have had the 'leaping bunny' stripped as they plan to sell in China

Idiotic!
I dont really use UD but I would buy them if I saw it on a good price. Not now.

Hopefully they reconsider - they're really going to lose a lot of customers (and respect) with a move like that.

It is such a shame as I considered them a quality brand, even more of a shame for the animals.:(

Their statement is so utterly insincere. Especially the crap about making change from the inside - how, by allowing your products to undergo the same as the others? I would bet my life savings they don't do a bit of campaigning in China to get the rules changed.

This just shows that their "cruelty free" thing was simply a marketing gimmick, like Body Shop's turned out to be when they sold to L'Oreal. It makes me wonder if there are really any veg*n companies that put their ethics before business and profits :(

I will also be interested to see how this move affects their sales in Western countries. Even many meat-eaters try and go for cosmetics that aren't tested on animals, and by publicising it like this UD might have shot themselves in the foot.

Reactions: Muggle
No doubt they will more than make up for their loss of customers outside of China. Otherwise they probably wouldn't take the risk.

They have hundreds of people making negative comments on their FB page. I think they underestimated just how upset people will be. They said that PETA has been working with the Chinese government on alternative testing and that it should start later this year. When asked why they couldn't wait until then before going to China, they didn't answer.

****! I just ordered a naked2 palate the other day.

:mad:

I bought one of those in March when I was in Puerto Rico. Its a shame that I cant buy it anymore.

Luckily there is one Australian brand I buy from. Everything is vegan except the brushes, mascara and the lip products, unfortunately.

They've been getting so much crap over the ridiculous press release they put out, they've completely gutted it. Now all it says is they are going to be selling in China, if you have questions email them and that they are going to be having an online Q&A session in the future.

yeah, they lost my last grain of respect a while ago when they went and changed ingredients that had previously made some products vegan, and then blew it off when i asked them about it on their facebook page. they apparently didn't really give a damn.

they made it pretty clear (to me, anyway) that they really weren't interested in moving towards a more vegan range, or that interested in their use of animal ingredients- just in ticking the 'vegan friendly' box with that small niche market of consumers -when products happened to fit into that box anyway, and in making themselvees look 'cruelty free' the rest of the time.

they seemed to hate it when i'd respond to a post about a new product launch with something like "awwww, thats a shame, i really hoped it'd be a vegan-friendly item- but it looks like there are ground up dead bugs in it. :( " .... i can't for the life of me imagine why. :p

they've moved away a lot from their roots, anyway- no great pale foundations, way less impressive colour choices for shadows and liners, etc... they're leaving their cult following behind. money talks louder than conscience, i suppose. :(

Wow, I thought their whole range was vegan. I've never actually bought any UD stuff. Before I was vegan I was a huge MAC fan and I bought enough of their stuff to last me for years, so I'm going to use it until I need new stuff and then I'll get vegan. I think MAC say they don't test on animals but all the companies say that and I don't really believe them.

I think MAC say they don't test on animals but all the companies say that and I don't really believe them.

MAC sells in China now, as well, so they're testing at least some of their products on animals. Same as UD.

I'm now looking more into Tarte and Too Faced. I'm not a fan of their eyeshadows, but I've got enough of that to last me three lifetimes, so I just need a good mascara. I like Tarte's lip stains a lot.