Urban Decay have had the 'leaping bunny' stripped as they plan to sell in China

I don't think they're going to be doing so well in China either. Apparently their original press release insulted a lot of Chinese people, who responded with messages saying they didn't need UD to come in and rescue them from their barbaric ways (obviously paraphrasing what they said).

I don't think they're going to be doing so well in China either. Apparently their original press release insulted a lot of Chinese people, who responded with messages saying they didn't need UD to come in and rescue them from their barbaric ways (obviously paraphrasing what they said).

:lol:

I don't understand why they didn't just work on expanding in Europe and Australia. I used to constantly see posts on their Facebook page begging for better availability there. Also South America.
Instead they jump into a market that requires animal testing, alienating a chunk of their core customers, and in the process **** off some of their potential new customers.
What idiot is making these business decisions?

I don't understand why they didn't just work on expanding in Europe and Australia. I used to constantly see posts on their Facebook page begging for better availability there. Also South America.
Instead they jump into a market that requires animal testing, alienating a chunk of their core customers, and in the process **** off some of their potential new customers.
They're using derp logic.

More people in China. More customers.

Equals more monies!!!1

...right? o_O

If they feel their market in the U.S. and other countries is capped, they probably think they will be better off in the long run by adding the Chinese market even if they lose some customers in western nations.

If they feel their market in the U.S. and other countries is capped, they probably think they will be better off in the long run by adding the Chinese market even if they lose some customers in western nations.

Which just goes to show that, at the end of the day, they care about money more than they care about ethics.

Score for voicing our concerns eh? :D

http://www.urbandecay.com/Animal-Testing-Policy/animal-testing-policy,default,pg.html

UD Decides Not to Sell in China

After careful consideration of many issues, we have decided not to start selling Urban Decay products in China. While several factors were important in reaching this decision, ultimately we did not feel we could comply with current regulations in China and remain true to our core principles. We know there are many progressive consumers in China who would embrace an opportunity to purchase non-animal tested products - our hope remains that we have the chance to offer Urban Decay products to these consumers someday in the future.

Following our initial announcement, we realized that we needed to step back, carefully review our original plan, and talk to a number of individuals and organizations that were interested in our decision. We regret that we were unable to respond immediately to many of the questions we received, and appreciate the patience our customers have shown as we worked through this difficult issue.

Since our founding in 1996, we have been committed to ending animal testing in the cosmetics industry. As demonstrated by the renewed support we have received from organizations like PETA and the CCIC, this principle remains at our core. Urban Decay does not test its finished products on animals, nor do we allow others to test on our behalf, and we require our suppliers to certify that the raw materials used in the manufacture of our products are not tested on animals. Urban Decay is proud to be 100% cruelty-free.

^Awesome, but I'm still not 100% sure if I will ever buy from them though, seeing how they're flimsy with their morals.

This just goes to show how careful companies have to be. They can't take back their initial words, and not everyone will be pleased even if they turn around on the decisions they disagree with.

Sort-of like what happened with Komen and Planned Parenthood.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
^Awesome, but I'm still not 100% sure if I will ever buy from them though, seeing how they're flimsy with their morals.

I'm happy the animals are safe for now, but I don't trust them. They had no problem abandoning their ethics in hopes of making more money and probably only reversed their decision because their sales plummeted. I just think next time, they'll do it quietly like Avon and Mary Kay did.

I'm going to go back to buying from them. I love their products, and I think that if we're gonna make a fuss and get them to reverse these kinds of decisions then we should kind of hold up our end of the deal. Their morals may be a little flimsy, but they're a company, they're pretty much all about profit, and I'd like more companies that don't test on animals to be successful, regardless of their motivations. As long as the bunnies are safe, I'm happy.

ETA: I will be keeping a close eye on them, though, in case they pull a fast one.

Reactions: kibbleforlola